1991 f150 no spark 5.8 EFI guru needed

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In that picture, I have no signal from #6 wire PIP sensor, or the crank sensor depends what you want to call it. Test light never lit up, or the multimeter never got any current.

#4 has power while cranking, but it drops down to 10v while turning over.

Did you replace the PIP sensor?
If you did, i wouldn't hesitate to try another one. Defective parts is not uncommon in this aftermarket world.
Also make sure you have a good ground to the sensor.
The voltage drop is normal.

Last edited:

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Did you replace the PIP sensor?
If you did, i wouldn't hesitate to try another one. Defective parts is not uncommon in this aftermarket world.
Also make sure you have a good ground to the sensor.
The voltage drop is normal.

Yes, pip sensor I changed, stupid thing makes you take the distributor out and apart to change it. I picked up another new sensor yesterday, judging by the rain we are getting I'll just get sent home from work, so I'll probably call in and just stay home to try and fix this piece of junk and get it out of the shop. Lol

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After you probe 1000 wire's, use a dab of crazy glue to seal up the hole
in the sheithing you made.Oxygen is your enemy when it comes to copper
wires.

daddys girl

Reaction score
I think your not getting a signal from the pip or hall effect switch to the icm,easy way to check is just go get a whole distributor from a wrecker,probably cheaper and a whole easyer to test.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I think your not getting a signal from the pip or hall effect switch to the icm,easy way to check is just go get a whole distributor from a wrecker,probably cheaper and a whole easyer to test.

If you look at the link I put up, test #4 is the pip sensor. I
When I put the LED light on it, and turn it over, the LED light flashes. So that's saying I am getting a pip signal. According to the troubleshooting website.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ignition control module is not putting out a signal, i have 3 different ICM and none give off a signal... Would that meant here is a break in the wire from the ICM to the coil?

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/ignition-control-module-tests-3

In test #3, the LED light does not flash...

That doesn't seem right that you have tried 3 different ICM with the same results. Are you sure you have a good ground ?
You can do a quick check of the ground circuit by simply connecting a test light to the POS side of your battery, then prob the ground wire at the component.
Also i would check ground at dist. housing and engine block, the light should come on if you have a good ground.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
That doesn't seem right that you have tried 3 different ICM with the same results. Are you sure you have a good ground ?
You can do a quick check of the ground circuit by simply connecting a test light to the POS side of your battery, then prob the ground wire at the component.
Also i would check ground at dist. housing and engine block, the light should come on if you have a good ground.

Tested the ground on the ICM, that link I posted goes through everything, that the ICM is getting 12v, and ground, the pip sensor is functioning, the only thing it's not doing is giving the coil a signal.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Went through my tests again, coil is not getting the switching signal from the ICM, took a wire and went directly from the ICM, to the coil. Still nothing. Went reading on internet for ways how to test the resistances on the ICM, and they said to check the ohms on the different pins, and all three fail the tests. They say to replace them, I'm going to take my volt meter into the part store and test a new one right off the shelf

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So, 3 ignition control modules later, and still not running. Did resistance tests and they're all garbage. He original one that was on the truck was the only thing remotely close.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 84

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have we verified power at the PCM? PCM controls grounds, you'll have 12v pretty much everywhere with KOEO.... When you power the truck up, can you hear the fuel pump run for the 3 seconds? There is a relay for the PCM, it's where I'd look after the obvious TFI module you replaced already....

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Have we verified power at the PCM? PCM controls grounds, you'll have 12v pretty much everywhere with KOEO.... When you power the truck up, can you hear the fuel pump run for the 3 seconds? There is a relay for the PCM, it's where I'd look after the obvious TFI module you replaced already....

Yes, have tested for power everywhere. The relay was good, and also replaced it with the other one since they're the same part number. Fuel pump kicks in when the key is turned to the on position. I'm going to Ford to check out their TFI/ICM. People say those are the only good ones, aftermarket are junk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom