1975 ish everest 440 fuel issues

jbajema21

Reaction score
Hey every one I have several Snowmobiles but my favorite is a 197? Everest 440. It bring back some really good memories of my child hood. I bought it of a guy a few years ago and cleaned it all up and it ran good for almost 2 seasons. Now it is flooding out and will hardly run at all. Fuel is pouring out the two over flows on the side on the carb. The carb is a Mikuni 38mm. I am no expert but i am pretty good at taking carbs apart and cleaning them up. I disasembled everything on it. Jets, needle valves, floats, ect. soaked every thing in brake cleaner and scrubed it all up clean as whistle, still same problem. I am stumped. Please help!!!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey every one I have several Snowmobiles but my favorite is a 197? Everest 440. It bring back some really good memories of my child hood. I bought it of a guy a few years ago and cleaned it all up and it ran good for almost 2 seasons. Now it is flooding out and will hardly run at all. Fuel is pouring out the two over flows on the side on the carb. The carb is a Mikuni 38mm. I am no expert but i am pretty good at taking carbs apart and cleaning them up. I disasembled everything on it. Jets, needle valves, floats, ect. soaked every thing in brake cleaner and scrubed it all up clean as whistle, still same problem. I am stumped. Please help!!!!
it is your needle seat for the floats, the rubber has probably deteriorated or there's something preventing the float needle from seating properly. this allows the bowl to overfill and it will pump out the overflow tubes. does your sled look like this one? :D

jbajema21

Reaction score
Looks very similar but all black. Think it is a 75 or 76. I cleaned up the needle seats real nice but did not notice any rubber on it. Where can i get parts for the carb?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks very similar but all black. Think it is a 75 or 76. I cleaned up the needle seats real nice but did not notice any rubber on it. Where can i get parts for the carb?
should be able to get mikuni parts from doo, if not there must be someone close to you with an old mikuni laying around....I have a few complete ones. let me know if you can't find anything and I'll send what you need. there may not be rubber on the needle, just can't remember for sure but I'm almost positive that or sticking floats will be the problem. do the floats slide up and down on rods mounted to the bowl or are they attached to the needle/seat assembly?

jbajema21

Reaction score
the floats slide on rods attached to the bowl. I have some newer mikuni carbs ( mid 90's) from polaris and arctic cat. Different size though. Thanks For the help so far.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes those shafts that the floats ride on wear a bit and your floats will hang up on them.You can try some of the sled wrecker places for old parts if you don't want to dump too much money into the sled.Also check all your lines to and from the fuel pump and down to the engine,sometimes a little crack or some rot will make your carb do some stupid crap!

Top Bottom