1973 Yamaha GP 292 and 1974 Yamaha SM 292??

summitstef

Reaction score
Down an ole dirt road in a town you wouldn't know
So I just stumbled onto two old relics and brought them out of the bush. Some clean up here and there and a seat cover for both. But other than that everything is pretty much intact and in good shape. No cracks or dings on either hoods. Now, I have been trying to do some research on these sleds with not much information to be found.
What I have found out so far is that the 292 engine is a retarded power house for a single. Can anyone chime in with some additional info? I grabbed these for the kids, but now I'm not so sure if these little sleds are kid friendly….

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not kid friendly they'd make nice oval race sleds.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had at one time a GP292, i completely restored and my kids rode it for a long time. Nothing scary about it, you might squeeze 60-70km/hr out of it on a good day and it will hardly spin the track on take off. The sled actually floated in deep snow very well, you could easily venture into the deep without getting stuck as long as the terrain did not get steep.
The motor in the 292 was as basic as a 2stroke can get, fancooled steel sleeve single cylinder, piston port with point ignition. Walbro carburetor with integrated fuel pump. Not exactly a power house...lol

To save my self some head aches from poor starts and performance issues, i replaced the Walbro carb system with a Mikuni carb and a remote mikuni fuel pump. I also replace the Yamaha clutch with a Comet. Now the kid's could ride it and leave me alone about starting it, flooding it and stalling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom