165" or 154"??

Doo2015

Reaction score
Well now that there are some miles on the new sleds I'm curious as to what people's opinions are on the 154 and 165 track lengths with the 850? I'll be buying a 2018 and currently ride a 2015 xm 154. I'm not sure if I want to go longer than 154 or not. I love my 154 as its easy to throw around and can still climb most slopes that I'm comfortable climbing after I adjusted suspension.

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you love your 154, I would stick with it.

I know a few people who went from shorter to longer, only having them go back to shorter.

I am sure the difference in handling would be the same as the XM.

PowPirate

Reaction score
I have a 154" and all my buddies went with 165"s. I always had 144"s before so I never even thought to go 165". I am only 165-170lbs, but for me the fun factor is not the same on the longer sleds. My sled wheelies and slides where the 165"s don't. It just feels way looser in general which fits my riding style.

On another note, I know how good the XM's are and I would wait for them to figure out the bulkhead and especially the belt blowing issues before you get a new one. As much as I like the performance of my 850, it isn't worth it as a whole.. I wish I had have gotten a left over 154" XM and gone to town on suspension or just gotten a freeride. Having to constantly think about how hot your clutches are kind of takes the fun out of riding.

Doo2015

Reaction score
Just bumping this back to the top. Snowcheck season isn't all that far away so I'm looking for as much input as possible. I don't prefer one type of riding. I love playing in the trees, seeing how high up the hill I can go, and just bombing around on flat terrain with deep snow. Anyone have experience on the G4 154" and 165"? How much of a difference is there? Pro's and cons? Thanks

PowPirate

Reaction score
There is a big difference! I have a 154" and my buddies all have 165"s.. My 154" wheelies more, it slides the tail more and does not climb as well and chew out of stuff like a 165" does. 165"s also hold steep sidehills easier and does not slide out as easily. You can stop in dumber places on a 165" and get away with it. With all that said, I love my 154" and would probably be on a 146" if they made it, just because I like fun factor over climbing and have always been that way. I am only 165lbs though, that helps.

Doo2015

Reaction score
There is a big difference! I have a 154" and my buddies all have 165"s.. My 154" wheelies more, it slides the tail more and does not climb as well and chew out of stuff like a 165" does. 165"s also hold steep sidehills easier and does not slide out as easily. You can stop in dumber places on a 165" and get away with it. With all that said, I love my 154" and would probably be on a 146" if they made it, just because I like fun factor over climbing and have always been that way. I am only 165lbs though, that helps.

have you made any suspension adjustments to your 154"? Limiter strap or anything?

PowPirate

Reaction score
I let my limiter out one hole from the factory setting and that actually helped on steep climbs.. Doesn't wheelie much more that way, but keeps the skid more planted. Front and rear springs are cranked as stiff as they'll go except for the front skid shock. I need stiffer, better suspension though, it is waaayyy too soft stock.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im a bigger guy at 235 without gear. I always rode 154s, bought a couple of 163s, and then went back to a 154. IMO the shorter sleds are just way more fun. Totally depends on your riding style though. The longer sled is definitely going to be more capable and easier to ride. I found I really missed the squirrellyness (probably not a real word) of a 154. A good rider is going to be able to go anywhere on a 154 that others can go on longer sleds. Might just have to work a little harder for it.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
If you look at the 154 again go 2.5, it will go more places than the 3 inch, the 2.5 is lighter and has much better track speed which is what your looking for if you go 154, I was just in Wyoming for 2 weeks riding amongst some other stuff mostly on the 154 2.5, it flat out rips and we call it the new cheater sled, best track speed and if you like trees will do way better than the 3 inch. Tony Jenkins, Ashley and Jay all ride that machine. I prefer the 165 because it turns on a dime to and will do everything just as fun but is way better for the deep consistent snow we get here in BC as well as I sled ski a ton and would never go back down to a shorter sled. Lots of cool things coming in a few days. Have spent a lot of time riding them, you will be happy! cheers dave

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you look at the 154 again go 2.5, it will go more places than the 3 inch, the 2.5 is lighter and has much better track speed which is what your looking for if you go 154, I was just in Wyoming for 2 weeks riding amongst some other stuff mostly on the 154 2.5, it flat out rips and we call it the new cheater sled, best track speed and if you like trees will do way better than the 3 inch. Tony Jenkins, Ashley and Jay all ride that machine. I prefer the 165 because it turns on a dime to and will do everything just as fun but is way better for the deep consistent snow we get here in BC as well as I sled ski a ton and would never go back down to a shorter sled. Lots of cool things coming in a few days. Have spent a lot of time riding them, you will be happy! cheers dave

Really? I would have to see that in person to believe it. Not saying your wrong, but Ive had both and the T3 154 was way better than the 2.5 xm.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Really? I would have to see that in person to believe it. Not saying your wrong, but Ive had both and the T3 154 was way better than the 2.5 xm.

Also your comparing a T3 to an XM and there are a bunch of differences there that make the sled better, not necessarily the 3 inch track, this is from Tony "2.5 with a 154" gives you more track speed and not as much ski lift. So if you think about the the track spinning at 60mph climbing a hill you have much more track surface working the snow then you would with a 3" this mostly works for the shorter tracks. Now if you had a 165" with a 3" you have that extra length to help keep the skis on the ground allowing the 3" track to work the snow. This also helps big time with steep sidehills on the 154" with a 2.5" track.

Not many people believe this until they try it side by side and you'll notice the difference right away. I tell people the 3" on a 154" is for the younger guys that want to wheelie and have a playful sled. With the 154" 2.5" you can ride better technical terrain in control and most likely go more places then you would with a 154" 3",
154 x 2.5" is geared 19 - 45, sprocket 6 teeth, 74 mph at 8100 rpm.

Also it's a slightly lighter track with controlled track spin.

I would never put a 2.5 on a 165."

After spending 2 weeks with him on the 2.5 I agree with all these points, I also agree that it is a waste of time putting a 2.5 on a 165, and I have always said a 3 inch on the 154 is a waste of time as if you want more
oomph then go 165, it is like 5 inches difference and I know most guys bring ego into it to let people know how rad they are but very few people actually test ride these sleds back to back to back, hoping on your buddies sled for a bit does [FONT=San Francisco, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, .SFNSText-Regular, sans-serif]not[/FONT] really tell you much as set up can be quite different. Anyway if your day is all about fun then you can't really go wrong with what you choose, the internet where everyone tries to compare, however this is not really what I see when I am out in the backcountry. Choose one and go, however I will say that many guys who are bigger would benefit from the 165, however I understand that they are scared that they are gonna lose some flickability over the 154, however that is why testing sleds is the best way to make a good decision. Cheers dave

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id be curious to try a 154 2.5 back to back with a 154 3.0 with a coupled skid. I definitely agree that the 154 3.0 is hard to control with the stock suspension. Even with just a better setup on the stock skid it would be interesting to see a comparison

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the amount of Powder days this winter, 165 3" has kicked @ss and saved some shovelling.. Weight, riding style, terrain and where you ride all play a big factor IMO..

Love my dirt bikes and use that as a comparison - XC vs a MX bike a big difference. XC is low and slow, harder to stall, softer suspension setup and some creature comforts. Great for working your way around in the trees single tracking up the mountain. MX bike is full of torque, suspension dialled in tight and ready to grab speed when need and launch you off the jumps, thru the woops and around the corner.. All kinds of chaos..

154" 2.5 would be more like a MX bike, going to use the throttle and speed to hammer around, wheelie, hitting jumps and running the hills.. Freeride for example.
154" 3" is very similar, digs in, wheelies more, better traction, more track and weight so lose some track speed.
165 or 174" is moving to more of a XC bike - suspension little softer, don't need as much speed to move around, enough track to get you out of trouble in those tight lines or if you need to stop/slow down to assess your next move.

Longer and bigger lug truck i find is a little more forgiving, you can use momentum and little rips on the throttle to get yourself up on the snow and in a better position to keep working forward/up.

Went from a 154" 2.5" up to the 174" T3 and settled back in on the 165"3" this year.. Slow things down in the trees and keep moving up and forward. That's just my style.

BCAV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a 154 3'' this year and its a blast very playfull and agile i wouldnt go any longer myself as i like to keep the skis in the air and do re entrys or (pirhoettes) my last sled was a 146 2.5 with a big bore so the 154 3" feels alot like my old one except with more traction so thats prob why it feels right to me ..............so i agree with previously stated depends on your riding style....i like to keep the skis up and if im not gonna make the top i just hold er pinned untill it comes over backwards then i head back down

Doo2015

Reaction score
The guys that want their skis up all the time can just adjust the suspension on a 165" so it wheelies everywhere. I got my current 2015 154 set up with a little more ski pressure than factory. This helps keep the track in the snow when climbing, but the sled still feels plenty playful. if I bought a new 154 x 3" I would set it up the same way so it can still climb good.

Top Bottom