163/16/2.5

slednecks11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about doing a 163/16/2.5 on my sled. Just wondering if I can do a 7 tooth 3" inch drivers vs doing a drop and roll? What would I have to gear it to because with that 7tooth drivers it would prob speed the track up to much?

Thanks

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can run the 2.5 on stock drivers except you can only get the 15 inch wide padle version.

i would switch to the 7 tooth avids to make more room for snow to evacuate. the smaller driver will offset the need for gearing down to spin the larger track

i am building 6 174 sleds with the 2.5 and that is what i will be doing.

whats your length now?

slednecks11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a 163 now. What would you gear it at? Would the 174 make that much More difference?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes makes a huge difference. just not sure how much maneuverability you want to sacrafice it is that much longer.

i would run stock gearing and see how it pulls with the 7 tooth drivers.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can run the 2.5 on stock drivers except you can only get the 15 inch wide padle version.

i would switch to the 7 tooth avids to make more room for snow to evacuate. the smaller driver will offset the need for gearing down to spin the larger track

i am building 6 174 sleds with the 2.5 and that is what i will be doing.

whats your length now?

Can you pull a 174-2.5 with a stock motor? I'd like to do the 2.5 but I don't have a whole lot power left over now!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
absolutely! you will loose a few mph track speed but the things are absolute monsters.

correct clutching and gearing are important but the stock motor will have no problems

i have seen a few rev 174s go on stock motor. they are even less HP...not much...

but absolutly rediculous

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweet!
I was thinking of doing a big wheel on the back as well?
A) would this help (power)
B) Save doing new skid/ext

Whats your plan as far as skid ext. and tunnel ext?
Are the 174's on sale? (got a extra?) LOL

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im ordering a bulk order i can give you a price if your interested on getting in. and if its cheaper than anywhere else then good!

i am doing tunnel extensions on 1 rev and 3 xps. the other xp is getting a 174 tunnel.

as far as the skid goes we are going with ice age 174 rails. way stronger than stock 162 rails with extensions. they are on sale right now for 280

the nice thing about the ice age rails is that they can make them for you with the 8" big wheel offset already. therefor no need for an offset axel kit.

big wheels are nice. i would only go 8" as 9 or 10" may rub with the 2.5" track

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info I'll sent you a PM tomorrow.

X2 on the Ice age rails we put them on my friends 154 (after stock rails bent right where the brace goes)way stronger then stock! and already have the holes to move rear sissor back.

slednecks11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When doin the 2.5 or 3 inch do you have to do a drop bracket to drop the back end so the track doesn't rub??

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope. but it will rub very slightly when crossing a creek or compression. 3 inch only. if you run larger than stock wheels like 9" that will make it rub worse

7 tooth drivers or an extended chaincase is the way to go.

i ahve heard rumors of track issues with the 3 inch making the tight turn around the 7 tooth drivers but are supposed to be making a new production run of tracks.

then again there are a few people on SW that have ran the 3 inch with 7 tooth drivers for almost 2 seasons now

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell, have you had any troubles with cooling. I have the 174x16x2.5 with 8 tooth avids and timbersled rear,stock drop brackets with billet re-enforcments,tunnel extension and 2.52 gearing (belt drive).
On groomed trails scratchers a must and still have to watch engine temps and this is with engine tech 120 degee thermostate.
Engine is 860 but ran it also with 163 and didn't have the heating . I will be extending cooler to the back.
Have 1100 miles with this setup and no problems at all , just on lower snow trails. Have seen some with extenstion on 154" sled and can't imagine how they keep them cool?
Your thoughts

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell, have you had any troubles with cooling. I have the 174x16x2.5 with 8 tooth avids and timbersled rear,stock drop brackets with billet re-enforcments,tunnel extension and 2.52 gearing (belt drive).
On groomed trails scratchers a must and still have to watch engine temps and this is with engine tech 120 degee thermostate.
Engine is 860 but ran it also with 163 and didn't have the heating . I will be extending cooler to the back.
Have 1100 miles with this setup and no problems at all , just on lower snow trails. Have seen some with extenstion on 154" sled and can't imagine how they keep them cool?
Your thoughts

yep scratchers are a must and also a full length snowflap aswell. what length is your flap? adding a couple inches of soft rubber to make it drag on the ground will help greatly as thats where most of the snow exits

with the 2.5 lug being so high off the ground snow doesnt make its way to the cooler.

we will have some issues with this on the rev and xp sleds since we are only doing tunnel extensions. ( owners of the machines dont want to pay the coin to have the coolers extended....but may after this season we will see :d)

i personally havent tried them on the trail but i imagine we will be tinkering with ways to stop them from heating up.

i may consider installing a double bypass cooler at the rear of the sled...may help....

ps what pitch track are you running with the 8 tooth avids...3.0? what kind of clearance do you have at the front of the cooler?

i havent ordered drivers but am at a stand still between 8 tooth and 7 tooth

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep scratchers are a must and also a full length snowflap aswell. what length is your flap? adding a couple inches of soft rubber to make it drag on the ground will help greatly as thats where most of the snow exits

with the 2.5 lug being so high off the ground snow doesnt make its way to the cooler.

we will have some issues with this on the rev and xp sleds since we are only doing tunnel extensions. ( owners of the machines dont want to pay the coin to have the coolers extended....but may after this season we will see :d)

i personally havent tried them on the trail but i imagine we will be tinkering with ways to stop them from heating up.

i may consider installing a double bypass cooler at the rear of the sled...may help....

ps what pitch track are you running with the 8 tooth avids...3.0? what kind of clearance do you have at the front of the cooler?

i havent ordered drivers but am at a stand still between 8 tooth and 7 tooth
Running 3.0 with 8 tooth and only about 1/4 inch clearance up top of tunnel behind driver.
Don't have any track marks and runs well. I put the stock driver over the avid and other than the teeth being longer on the avids they are the same size down lower where the track runs.
You can check but that is what i have found and also the avids push on alot harder due to the banding .
You probably no this but if not make shur you get the uhmw tool to install the avids as it is needed for getting them started on the shaft.
Track a real pain in arse to put in with the avids due to the longer teeth!
The mud flap will help alot as this is something that i never got done and wanted to.
With the gearing i was running 2.45 before the belt drive and iam getting the same track speed with the 163 or the 174.
Top speed changed about 2MPH with the 2.52 gearing.

Cheers:)

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run a 2.5 paddle on my rev i don't have any prob with heating up on the trail
and my snow flap is cut half way, but i do run scratchers.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run a 2.5 paddle on my rev i don't have any prob with heating up on the trail
and my snow flap is cut half way, but i do run scratchers.

I didn't have heating problems until the the 174 inch track and the tunnel extention with out cooler moved back.
Had a 163x15x2.5 before.

Top Bottom