155 vs 163

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What size track for a 5'4, noneofurfawkinbusiness lbs chick that likes to boondock, drop and jump a bit? I can't decide whats best. I think 155 would be sweet, but a lot of guys are saying just bite the bullet and go 163 for the extra float.

Confuzzled.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your jumping and dropping and 5'4. I'd go with a 146" track.

146 is a wee bit short, I mean it'd be great if all I did was jumps and drops but I still have to get into these areas.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should also mention I am considering putting a low boost turbo kit on and have been told if I am considering that as an option 163 for sure. But I'm really not sure about the turbo kit...

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go 55. The new sleds get up on the snow so well, unless your climbing a lot of real steep stuff the 55 should work good for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
155, you don't need the same floatation as the 200 lbs guys that are telling you to go 163. You will lose some floatation in climbs, but it will be better for jumping and tight tree lines. I'm probably around 225 with all my gear on and it's rare I wish I rode a 163 over my 155.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
163. Only way to go in the deep. The 154 is nice for jumps,whips and drops but if that's not your full time thing a 154 sucks.

I would have to agree. And its not all about the highmark. The extra floatation allows you to be more methodical when making decisions in deep snow and off camber terrain which mean you can get away with less track speed (when you need to)

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
155, you don't need the same floatation as the 200 lbs guys that are telling you to go 163. You will lose some floatation in climbs, but it will be better for jumping and tight tree lines. I'm probably around 225 with all my gear on and it's rare I wish I rode a 163 over my 155.

I dunno...I'm kind of a hefer...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

A 155 is NOT better for tight tree lines. They wash out to easy and don't have the traction.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the 155 would be a lot of fun and the 163 a lot easier. But I think it'd also be harder to maneuver around trees boondocking. BUT if I decide to low boost turbo a 155 would just stand up on end all the time. I want the 3" track for sure

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

........... you? hefer? WTF are you smoking? don't make me kick your azz Rowdy!

I think if you have the opportunity, try both, see which one you feel is better suited for your riding style.... You've mentioned you are demoing a Pro and an XM over the next while, try one in a long track and the other in the 155, and see, obviously different chassis and different rides, but might be enough to help you make your decision.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 154x16 wide has more track on the ground than a 155x15. Problem solved!;):beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

A 155 is like having 3/4 of a mountain sled. If your spending that kind of cash on a new machine doo it right. This time next season you will be on here asking how much is it going to cost I extend to a 162 an where can you get the parts. It's 2000$ to do it aftermarket and 400$ for your salesman to do it on the showroom floor. The 162 does EVEarYThinG better. With the exception of jumps. Drops are actually no problem just have to lean a bit further forward. Also keep in mind if you purchase a 155 pro you will be extremely disappointed with the performance of the track because you are coming off a 16 wide right now. You need a 162 Polaris to equal a 154 16 wide doo. Something to keep in mind. You can turbo a 154 but be prepared to spend 3G on a skid so you can ride it. I've seen your photos you spend a lot of time in the deep stuff. A 163 is just as maneuverable and takes no more effort to ride. Just makes the experience so much greater. Getting unstuck just needs a skitug and its back on top.

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
........... you? hefer? WTF are you smoking? don't make me kick your azz Rowdy!

I think if you have the opportunity, try both, see which one you feel is better suited for your riding style.... You've mentioned you are demoing a Pro and an XM over the next while, try one in a long track and the other in the 155, and see, obviously different chassis and different rides, but might be enough to help you make your decision.

that's actually a really good idea. The pro I am picking up Wednesday is a 155, I'll ask Steph if I can demo a 163 for the XM. Go from there. Thanks Tyler! :)

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's actually a really good idea. The pro I am picking up Wednesday is a 155, I'll ask Steph if I can demo a 163 for the XM. Go from there. Thanks Tyler! :)
That is a great idea. If you can, demo both sizes in both sleds. Only way you will find out what you really want. I'm thinking my next sled will be a 163, but if I do that I'm likely planning on keeping my 155 as well.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of a 155 better but if ever I want to put on Neil's low boost turbo kit from Boost-it then I know I need the 163...That's why I'm torn.

Top Bottom