144 to 151 01 Summit

oldtimer

Reaction score
Plan on changing to 151. Should I move rails back or extensions? 16" or stay with 15". Also would like to change front shocks for more travel and I've read there are different springs for track suspension as well. I'm a heavy guy and have evrything set stiff.
Any advise is appreciated.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plan on changing to 151. Should I move rails back or extensions? 16" or stay with 15". Also would like to change front shocks for more travel and I've read there are different springs for track suspension as well. I'm a heavy guy and have evrything set stiff.

what year sled?? etc..

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I have a 151" skid and 151x2x16" track for sale... Pm me if interested..... The 16" wide track will fit under any summit, is a tight fit(even in the revs), but is well worth the flotation...that extra 1" might equal about 48 square inches(thats huge).....i'm a big guy too, and have a 151 x 15" under my mod, but my 1000 with the 162x16 track, just floats incredibly, even wth my weight. Can you say weight watchers... Lol

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think rail extensions would be best with the big wheels in the back. 144 to 151 is 7" /2 = 3.5" so not that much of a move. And the 16" is tight gotta get it right on.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same sled as your running and when i did the track swap to the
151" track, i just skided the rails back because on the 02 summits that were factory dropped and rolled they used the 01 144" rails on the 02 151". When i did mine i also got the drop and roll templates from specialty sleds and drop brackets for the rear and went to a 151"x2 1/4"x16" track with extra vert drivers. If your serious about doing this, let me know and i can get you all the measurements on were i moved the skid to make it perform right. I also have that track for sale and the tunnel extension you need as we are in the middle of putting a 159 under it.:d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yep, just get some extensions, will be way faster than moving rails back or setting the whole skid back. Yes, you can change front shocks, you need to know your current center to center and what the max length you can go to is. Changing shocks is easy from a nuts and bolts standpoint, but you need to find shocks with a longer travel and the same center to center. You can go with a little bit longer shock overall if needed to get something with longer travel, but it will alter the geometry slightly (usually not a big deal) and there may be some fitment issues or clearance issues at the bulkhead (again usually not something that can't be overcome). Need to know what type of sled as well.

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i have a 01 800 that got extended before i got it, the ppl before me used rail extensions, looked like it was very easy both the rail extensions and tunnel extensions, my brother and i extended a 99 summit x 136 to a 151, was really easy except getting sent the wrong tunnel extension... had to pull out the tin snip and "modify it :d" but other than the tennel extension it would have taken us less than a day probably, we also put on a set of extros

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doo the setback. 3.5" back 1"down 3" drop brackets.did my 01 800 summit night and day diff. my sled is in gibbons will bring in soon, to west end edm if ya want to have alook. tim

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im in the process of goin 136-151...so far so good(except being slod the wrong sized skid ahha so im goin with rail extensions

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only reason i did the drop and roll was to get the 2.25 track on without downsizing drivers. I did the exact same as Timbo but only dropped 3/4 of an inch. Also put on a set of wings to strengthen up the new front suspesion bolt hole as it gets moved to a thinner part of the tunnel.

oldtimer

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info. I want to put the 144" from the 01 800 onto a 98 Summit 583 my daughter uses. Will advise as I progress.

Thanks again.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got my summit in town now,it's in the west end.
stop by and have alook. timbo

oldtimer

Reaction score
Got my 16" track. Couple questions - Any suggestions for extroverts? Any comments on "super drivers" from Royal Dist? Planning to do setback, do you need to move idler assembly?

Thanks

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I saw an ad on kijiji, edmonton, that had a drive axle with extrovert drivers.... You should check it out.... Think it was $50.00 or something like that........ Good luck!

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw an ad on kijiji, edmonton, that had a drive axle with extrovert drivers.... You should check it out.... Think it was $50.00 or something like that........ Good luck!

What year was it for rick, I did mne that way and there is a differance between 98 and 99. The 99 was starting to use zx chassis parts I found out.

Top Bottom