13 XM - parking brake message

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While riding in the mountains this week my 13 XM beeped and said Park Brake on the instrument cluster. The brake lever and park brake lever were both in normal positions and working normally - definitely not engaged while riding. The brake cover was touching the brake disc so we bent it away, but the message came back.

First off, what situation causes this message to appear? Is there a temperature sensor in the brake system? Or does it just (mistakenly) think that the brake light switch on the brake handle is made all the time? Want to know if this indicates a problem with the brake disc/caliper/cover/shoe or lever/switch/wiring.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While riding in the mountains this week my 13 XM beeped and said Park Brake on the instrument cluster. The brake lever and park brake lever were both in normal positions and working normally - definitely not engaged while riding. The brake cover was touching the brake disc so we bent it away, but the message came back.

First off, what situation causes this message to appear? Is there a temperature sensor in the brake system? Or does it just (mistakenly) think that the brake light switch on the brake handle is made all the time? Want to know if this indicates a problem with the brake disc/caliper/cover/shoe or lever/switch/wiring.

It can only be activated by the brake lever switch. happens to us before. likely one of your tabs on the microswitch has broken off causing it to press "on"

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to mine, broke on little tit on the switch and she don't sit properly causing the warning. Taped it down and we will see what the dealer says when I bring it in next.

HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you take off your tail light? If water gets into the connection it will complete the circuit and send the message that the break is on. Had this happen to me, took some digging to figure out.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the brake lever gets a little frozen and doesn't go all the way back .out. Just push it out when it happens

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine has done it 2 times last year. And did it just this last trip. Did it first day once the snow gathered around the brake. Snow was just to deep to keep cleaning. But it just stopped the next 2 days never came on again. But ya we've had a few of our sleds do it. I'm not quite convinced anyone has something broke or disconnected as you'd see it constantly. Possible conditions. That being warm, lots of snow and then when it gets cooler, snow or moisture freezes in the brake. Not to sure but we just keep riding like it's not there as it doesn't appear to be affecting anything in our group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom