13 F350 Command start and heater issues

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need a poll from you F350 guys or maybe technicians on here. 2013 F350 Loaded with Nav. (Auto climate system that also controlled from the Nav screen)If you leave truck with heater in Auto position then start the truck with the factory Ford Command start and let it run its cycle (15 Min) then restart it with the Command or just hop in it and start it with the Key the Heater is turned off. Ford dealer (I won't say which one) Tells me this is a normal operation.

Well here's the deal! I have had 6 different F350s that never did this. I contacted all my buddies currently driving F350's and none of their trucks do this. My F150 Harley Pickup doesn't do this.As well as same year Edge.

Now it doesn't seem like a big deal but isn't that the point of having a command so that your interior as well as your engine warm up? Also when you take off after warming truck up and forget to turn your heater on you get two blocks and the windshield fogs up and you have to pull over and turn the defrost on till it clears. This is a real pain when your in Sicamous with high humidity as it fogs over real quick. It pisses me off that Ford would not even look into this and try to sluff it off as "normal operation" Isn't the point of having an Auto Climate system so you don't have to constantly adjust your settings?

I know I know take it to a different dealer but thats a real pain as this one is quite close and its a royal pain to go further into the city.

Shovelking780

Reaction score
I have the same problem but it doesn't happen all the time. It is weird and doesn't make sense, usually happens when you need it the most like cold days. My truck is also a 13 full load sounds like yours. I have not asked the dealer about it yet usually forget and haven't went out of my way. It's interesting that you say it happens when you start the truck twice with command start I will start to pay more attention to see if this is my problem too. Maybe that's why it only happens once and a while.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife's '14 Explorer was doing same thing once in a while. Dealer flawed a new update in it and so far so good.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go into the programming on your in dash display there's a section for the remote start. This is where you select the run time and either an "auto" or "use last setting " selection. This is what determines the settings for your heater and heated seats. If you select the "use last setting" option, it should use whatever setting you were running when you shut off the truck. I'm not sure what it uses for the "auto" selection.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely wrong if my truck did that I'd be telling the dealer to fix it

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 13 acts the same way, have not asked dealer, was dealing with a really poor dealer until my last screw over , now looking for a new dealer. My 11 was fine

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats where mine is. Still shuts off after second command start cycle though

If you go into the programming on your in dash display there's a section for the remote start. This is where you select the run time and either an "auto" or "use last setting " selection. This is what determines the settings for your heater and heated seats. If you select the "use last setting" option, it should use whatever setting you were running when you shut off the truck. I'm not sure what it uses for the "auto" selection.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My truck does this too after second or third cycle. I have 13 loaded as trucks mentioned and it has been doing this from new. not big deal to me if it off when i get in hit button and we're off.

Toro

Reaction score
Need a poll from you F350 guys or maybe technicians on here. 2013 F350 Loaded with Nav. (Auto climate system that also controlled from the Nav screen)If you leave truck with heater in Auto position then start the truck with the factory Ford Command start and let it run its cycle (15 Min) then restart it with the Command or just hop in it and start it with the Key the Heater is turned off. Ford dealer (I won't say which one) Tells me this is a normal operation.

Well here's the deal! I have had 6 different F350s that never did this. I contacted all my buddies currently driving F350's and none of their trucks do this. My F150 Harley Pickup doesn't do this.As well as same year Edge.

Now it doesn't seem like a big deal but isn't that the point of having a command so that your interior as well as your engine warm up? Also when you take off after warming truck up and forget to turn your heater on you get two blocks and the windshield fogs up and you have to pull over and turn the defrost on till it clears. This is a real pain when your in Sicamous with high humidity as it fogs over real quick. It pisses me off that Ford would not even look into this and try to sluff it off as "normal operation" Isn't the point of having an Auto Climate system so you don't have to constantly adjust your settings?

I know I know take it to a different dealer but thats a real pain as this one is quite close and its a royal pain to go further into the city.
I've got a 2013 does same thing, I've pissed around with it to no avail, in a polite conversation with the dealer they said disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and reconnect. I really like this Ford but they can take their Climate control/Sync system and stuff it up their arses sideways. My dealer confirmed lots have problems and the "Sync/phone" part of the system was designed by Micro soft for Blackberry so it always seems to fight with my IPhone. Really?? maybe I'll have to look a little harder at Chevys or Dodges next time, none of them send me pay checks so I don't have any loyalty to any of them.

Buster

Reaction score
I have so many issues with these new trucks it's not funny. The fun police have now made the new GMC 1500 shut down after water temp hits around 0 deg C when you use the command start . What is the point of a command start if you can't defrost your windows on a cold morning.:(

Top Bottom