11,12,13 engines

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dads 11 assault he sold with 4500 miles not one problem. The guy that owns it now has 5800 miles on it now still never had the head off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would take that sled and put it in a glass box for display. it must be the only one on the planet with those miles on it and never had a wrench to it.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would take that sled and put it in a glass box for display. it must be the only one on the planet with those miles on it and never had a wrench to it.
Nope, just those guys are busy ridding not on line complaining. Give me a break, they all have their own problems. Don't like them, don't worry you do not have to buy one. I have no problem with the two that I own, now my buddies with the other brand have been in the shop getting fixed. Not bashing just saying that they all seem to have their own issues, I think all manufacturers could do better.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, just those guys are busy ridding not on line complaining. Give me a break, they all have their own problems. Don't like them, don't worry you do not have to buy one. I have no problem with the two that I own, now my buddies with the other brand have been in the shop getting fixed. Not bashing just saying that they all seem to have their own issues, I think all manufacturers could do better.
I have owned plenty. get to work on them everyday, that's what I do. not bashing anything, just being truthful. I see many collapsed pistons and cracked cylinder skirts all season long. some resulting in catastrophic failure. I suggest if anyone wants long term enjoyment from these engines you best be looking into some pistons once beyond 600 miles. if you have a mape crank you may want to look into a Fuji once beyond 1000 miles. been doing this for quite some time, just my experience.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned plenty. get to work on them everyday, that's what I do. not bashing anything, just being truthful. I see many collapsed pistons and cracked cylinder skirts all season long. some resulting in catastrophic failure. I suggest if anyone wants long term enjoyment from these engines you best be looking into some pistons once beyond 600 miles. if you have a mape crank you may want to look into a Fuji once beyond 1000 miles. been doing this for quite some time, just my experience.
Here we go, I guess you can appreciate that guys who are not having problems are not coming to you for repairs. I also have been at this for some time just like a lot of people, after 20 years and 8 Polaris I know they have had some problems but again I ride with and tow all brands. Giving my buddy a ride on Tuesday to pick up his 14xm, oh wait, they are perfect. This year alone, 14xm buddy lost oil pump, another needs a base gasket, dumped all coolant and don't forget to check your axel bolt, oh there is a fix for that. Good thing they all have a great warranty, I feel for guys buying used as again they all have issues. And that is my point. I have over 1200 miles so I need some pistons AND a crank, come on man.

rmscustom

Reaction score
Here we go, I guess you can appreciate that guys who are not having problems are not coming to you for repairs. I also have been at this for some time just like a lot of people, after 20 years and 8 Polaris I know they have had some problems but again I ride with and tow all brands. Giving my buddy a ride on Tuesday to pick up his 14xm, oh wait, they are perfect. This year alone, 14xm buddy lost oil pump, another needs a base gasket, dumped all coolant and don't forget to check your axel bolt, oh there is a fix for that. Good thing they all have a great warranty, I feel for guys buying used as again they all have issues. And that is my point. I have over 1200 miles so I need some pistons AND a crank, come on man.

Mine needed pistons and especially rings at 1350 miles after 1 year so it got a top end as preventative maintenence and to restore the power. Most likely it would still be running after the 1000 miles Ive put on since but I don't like most likelys and reduced performance during the time I can get off and ride. To each their own but with 1200 mountain miles I bet your pistons are close if not beyond max spec for clearance and your rings are flaked. Not bashing I love my Pro and wouldnt buy anything else right now... Until maybe tonight. lol

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine needed pistons and especially rings at 1350 miles after 1 year so it got a top end as preventative maintenence and to restore the power. Most likely it would still be running after the 1000 miles Ive put on since but I don't like most likelys and reduced performance during the time I can get off and ride. To each their own but with 1200 mountain miles I bet your pistons are close if not beyond max spec for clearance and your rings are flaked. Not bashing I love my Pro and wouldnt buy anything else right now... Until maybe tonight. lol

Well, let's hope the 14's are better as I have seen and heard and the 15's even better, good thing I have a great dealer and a 4 year warranty. It has started dumping, reset is on!

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have fun. just what I have experienced. some last longer, some don't. not trying to be a negative azz here. I don't pay attention to what other brands are experiencing, don't care. I work on polaris and have for some time and they have experienced some engine issues. I like everything else about the sled. I am just letting others know to pay attention to the engine and try to prevent them from having to replace a short block. if you want to run hard till she guts go ahead, I could care less.

Last edited:

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Point taken, also not trying to be a a$$ I guess riding with all these doo heads has gotten my **** deflectors on high, I am not nieve to the extent of the problems they have had I was just pointing out that some people are having good luck with thier machines and they finally do seem to be getting better, not having the same trouble as past years, thankfully. And here is to hoping that they have been working on it for 15.

The snow is falling, that will help bring spirits up.

geo

Reaction score
My pistons were not toast at 1700 miles but I wanted to see inside so might as well do it. Probably wouldn't of except it was the first year on a Poo.

Rhodesie, You say you've done lots. How many do you consider "lots" (approx.). What do you stick in there when your done?

What are your findings? Come back sooner than later? Never see them again? Nothing changes?

Spread the knowledge buddy.

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am currently riding a 14 proclimb because of blowing 2 motors in 4 years.......09 - 700 and 12 - 800. I was polaris for about 20 years but found out the hard way that the 800 is weak. Dropped a piston skirt at 1400 miles and took out the whole motor.

It was warrantied and replaced but they would not give me any warranty on the new short block, saying the warranty follows the sled which was over in Dec. I would not have any miles on the new short block! Didnt make me comfortable knowing that they would not at least stand behind the new motor for at least a year. I didnt care about the rest of the sled having warranty as in the 2 years I rode it I didnt have one single issue at all. Great chassis, great clutching.

I was extremely fussy with it from day one also. I am a certified technician with years of building racing motors in everything from race cars to sleds to karts.

I jumped ship after a couple of expensive helicopter rides.

Now that being said I am wondering how the 2014's have been and have they made any changes at all from the 2012's?

I miss the handling of this machine compared to the 14 proclimb, and really want to be back on the polaris but not until their track record has improved with the motor reliability.

Really looking for some HONEST feedback....not caring to hear biased viewpoints.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My pistons were not toast at 1700 miles but I wanted to see inside so might as well do it. Probably wouldn't of except it was the first year on a Poo.

Rhodesie, You say you've done lots. How many do you consider "lots" (approx.). What do you stick in there when your done?

What are your findings? Come back sooner than later? Never see them again? Nothing changes?

Spread the knowledge buddy.
I can only guess as to a number, i don't know, say 30. all i know is the piston to cylinder clearance is well out of spec. usually anywhere from .009"-.013". shouldn't really get over .007-.008 in 500 to 2000 miles. i installed rk tek pistons in my own sleds based off of a conversation i had with a good customer and bud of mine. i like the result. after 1200 miles on a drop in kit i measured the skirts on those pistons. compared to the size when they were new they had not changed even .001". 1500 miles on direct replacements in my buds sled. same result. holding their shape. two seasons of using rk tek direct replacement pistons, drop in kits(one turbo sled also), a couple big bore kits i have not had any problems. this is on 8,9,10,11,12,13 800's. That's all i can tell you man.

rmscustom

Reaction score
I can only guess as to a number, i don't know, say 30. all i know is the piston to cylinder clearance is well out of spec. usually anywhere from .009"-.013". shouldn't really get over .007-.008 in 500 to 2000 miles. i installed rk tek pistons in my own sleds based off of a conversation i had with a good customer and bud of mine. i like the result. after 1200 miles on a drop in kit i measured the skirts on those pistons. compared to the size when they were new they had not changed even .001". 1500 miles on direct replacements in my buds sled. same result. holding their shape. two seasons of using rk tek direct replacement pistons, drop in kits(one turbo sled also), a couple big bore kits i have not had any problems. this is on 8,9,10,11,12,13 800's. That's all i can tell you man.

Nice to hear... Are you measuring the bores on these? Are you seeing a big variance?

geo

Reaction score
Tanks Rhodesie. Any experience with MNTK. Know anyone who has (done lots)?

What have you gotten for a bore measurement and what has that left you for a final clearance "new"?

Less than thou in 1200miles is very impressive for a 2 stroke.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tanks Rhodesie. Any experience with MNTK. Know anyone who has (done lots)?

What have you gotten for a bore measurement and what has that left you for a final clearance "new"?

Less than thou in 1200miles is very impressive for a 2 stroke.
can't remember the exact size I believe it is 3.35" or something like that. clearance is 5-6 thou. the rk tek pistons have a nice thick skirt that keeps it's form.

Top Bottom