1 piece rail extension for 2008 xp for 146-163 x15x2.5

Dano670

Reaction score
hi fellas I gotta a friend with a 08 xp wanting to go to a 163 " up from his 146" ,he's heard about a one pc ext. kit for the rails but no info as to where to get it from and how much they cost ,any info would be great .Thanks for any imput ,its will be greatly appreciated .

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a lot of extension, extensions arent known to be the strongest I have seen smaller extensions bend fairly easy quick way to ruin a ride. I believe specialty sleds in edmonton make an extension to do this though $170.00. I got a better solution I have a set of 08-09 XP 163 rails with RSI IceScratchers on them only one seasons of use on them there IceAge rails I can sell him $250.00 at his doorstep there in good shape.

Pm Me if interested.

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could run into cooling problems if you don't extend your cooler. Would go Ice Age rails like Frankthetank has.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could run into cooling problems if you don't extend your cooler. Would go Ice Age rails like Frankthetank has.

Lol good point wonder how I never thought of that I went from a 146 to a 163 and had nothing but cooling issues ended up ripping out the 146 cooler and putting in a 163 cooler. Tons of work pain in the ass, Van Amburg was helpful they built me a special tunnel ext for the 146 frame with a 163 cooler which was helpful. I found the most cooling issues mainly on the way up (more load on the motor) once on top I was fine this was with ice scratchers and full length snow flap

with the 146 cooler out and old 146-163 ext
IMG_0131.jpg

with the 163 cooler in
IMG_0138.jpg

finished product without the snowflap
IMG_0174.jpg

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 163 cooler is quite a bit longer, I went 174 this year and just ended up ordering a whole new tunnel to save myself the headache the "I wonder if I am gonna have cooling issues again question" It was a pain in the ass stopping every few miles to kick snow underneath the skid and packing it on top of the cooler. It seems one size up you dont have to many cooling issuesbut two sizes is just asking for trouble.

Dano670

Reaction score
well although I've got an older machine that I'm in the process of putting together it's the old 99 summitx it's been extended from 136 - 151 ,I'm not an overly aggressive rider ,just want to boondock, do some short climbs, break trail for the rest of my group and basically play in the deeper stuff sometimes .Got his machine fairly cheap and in pcs so I want put it back together only once lol

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went from the 163 to a 174 a few years ago and if you keep flap long and us the scratchers things are okay. I put the better highfax on my timbersled skid as the OEM ones burn off real quick. Also run the Engine T. thermostate that helps.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went from the 163 to a 174 a few years ago and if you keep flap long and us the scratchers things are okay. I put the better highfax on my timbersled skid as the OEM ones burn off real quick. Also run the Engine T. thermostate that helps.

Cool thats good to know, I am tryin that Engine T thermostat this year hope it helps sounds like lots of guys are running them for a few years now and no issues just waitin on it to show. I went the tunnel route cause I didnt want any issues at all I might of been able to get away with it but even last year later in april I was having issues with my 2.5 163 with heating up didnt want to chance that again with the 174x3". I was wondering if i am going to have to throw some bogey wheels back in the skid with this 174 if its going to be harder on the hifaxes being so long and the paddles so far out of the snow with the 3"

Top Bottom