'09 XP - Air Intake Problem - be aware

lucm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled was running great until Sunday when it lost most of its mid range power and I couldn't figure it out so I brought it to my dealer. I just got it back from the dealer after they had to clean a bunch of grass seed out of my air box and carbs, caused by a faulty seal on the air intake foam.
As it turns out, the "front side" of the foam can be pushed in because there is nothing behind to hold it in place. My dealer told me that bombardier has told them that a fix for this is to install a large tie strap in such a way as to form a "stopper" so the foam can't get pushed in further. I guess I never noticed a small gap and the sled ingested grass seed while going down some pipeline and voila..........broken sled.
Although bombardier wouldn't cover this as warranty, even though they acknowledge there is a problem, my dealer was excellent and only charged me a minimun amount for the work they had to do to fix my sled.
It would be worthwhile to ck with your dealer to see about this if you own an '09 XP so you can avoid this issue, or a blown motor caused my snow ingestion.......

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw that foam POS wasn't going to stay put right from day 1 and installed an 08 screen....

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled was running great until Sunday when it lost most of its mid range power and I couldn't figure it out so I brought it to my dealer. I just got it back from the dealer after they had to clean a bunch of grass seed out of my air box and carbs, caused by a faulty seal on the air intake foam.
As it turns out, the "front side" of the foam can be pushed in because there is nothing behind to hold it in place. My dealer told me that bombardier has told them that a fix for this is to install a large tie strap in such a way as to form a "stopper" so the foam can't get pushed in further. I guess I never noticed a small gap and the sled ingested grass seed while going down some pipeline and voila..........broken sled.
Although bombardier wouldn't cover this as warranty, even though they acknowledge there is a problem, my dealer was excellent and only charged me a minimun amount for the work they had to do to fix my sled.
It would be worthwhile to ck with your dealer to see about this if you own an '09 XP so you can avoid this issue, or a blown motor caused my snow ingestion.......
You were off the trail Luc? You?!?!?! Really?!?!?!?!?:d:d:d

lucm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw that foam POS wasn't going to stay put right from day 1 and installed an 08 screen....

I ordered the '08 screen also ....... I just can't believe the bombardier would sit back without at least warning owners that this might be a problem.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry about your grief man, sucks they wouldn't cover it under warranty. they should have added the '09 MXZ RS intake to the summits instead of the band aid job they came up with. why would a snowcross sled need a snorkel intake anyways?

09rsintake.jpg

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thinks that sled has a snorkel, due to the fact that snowdust from a sled infront of you is almost worse than powder.

After one ride in -15 and 3' of snow, I new I had to get rid of that intake. The entire intake was an ice cube, I cant imagine how much snow my motor ingested before I noticed.

Running the 08 intake now and its ok, met a fella in the cabin the other day who designed a snorkel type system for the XP. Wasnt that you Teeroy ?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thinks that sled has a snorkel, due to the fact that snowdust from a sled infront of you is almost worse than powder.

After one ride in -15 and 3" of snow, I new I had to get rid of that intake. The entire intake was an ice cube, I cant imagine how much snow my motor ingested before I noticed.

Running the 08 intake now and its ok, met a fella in the cabin the other day who designed a snorkel type system for the XP. Wasnt that you Teeroy ?
yeah, that was me Curtis. was cool to meet up with you out there at Miledge.....:beer:. 'member I was tellin ya 'Doo must've scoped my idea? lol...that RS intake in the pic was what they came up with. kinda funny it ended up with the same plumbing and location a year later.....:d
pictures3613Small.jpg

Top Bottom