09 XP 154 Clutching problems

Canadian JR

Reaction score
The problem with the 09 xp is not the clutching as much as it has to do with the gearing. With the stock setup you can expect to blow belts every 200km if you ride hard. The 377 belts are harder but they still can not with stand the belt slipping caused because the gearing is too tall. If you gear down you will gain track speed and reduce 70 degrees from the clutch/belt temp.
Gearing stock in a 154 is 21 top and 45 bottom. You can change to 19top 47bottom without changing the chain. Testing with 20Top 49bottom buy this requires a longer chain (104 link). With this setup you will see 70kmh track speed climbing hills in 3 feet of powder. Stock you will only get 60kmh.
Talk to your dealer about getting them to push BRP to correct this problem now so you don't have to send your money on blown belts.:mad:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with the 09 xp is not the clutching as much as it has to do with the gearing. With the stock setup you can expect to blow belts every 200km if you ride hard. The 377 belts are harder but they still can not with stand the belt slipping caused because the gearing is too tall. If you gear down you will gain track speed and reduce 70 degrees from the clutch/belt temp.
Gearing stock in a 154 is 21 top and 45 bottom. You can change to 19top 47bottom without changing the chain. Testing with 20Top 49bottom buy this requires a longer chain (104 link). With this setup you will see 70kmh track speed climbing hills in 3 feet of powder. Stock you will only get 60kmh.
Talk to your dealer about getting them to push BRP to correct this problem now so you don't have to send your money on blown belts.:mad:

Do you ride an 09 XP? If you do and are having clutching problems talk to Al at the Sled Shed in Revy, he has the clutching working well and has a mod for the power valves as well that really works.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
...Gearing stock in a 154 is 21 top and 45 bottom. You can change to 19top 47bottom without changing the chain. Testing with 20Top 49bottom buy this requires a longer chain (104 link). With this setup you will see 70kmh track speed climbing hills in 3 feet of powder. Stock you will only get 60kmh...
if you are only getting 70kmh with you set up you are still in need of adjustment. I had a 21/49 gear set up with my 154" xp(2008) and was over revving on clicker no# 4 and getting 45mph(72-73kph) on my last trip out. I took it in to the dealer for the shaft upgrade and they changed the top gear to a 20 tooth by mistake, they are going to change it back. But with my set up I think I should be able to get 50mph(80kph) with the 21/49 gears on clicker no#3.

Top Bottom