09 wont start any ideas

crowdoo

Reaction score
started it it ran fine hit rev to back off the deck and she dies hmmm start again same deal rev then quit . so i push it down ramp start it and drive around stagn area maybe 15 sec ride then let sit running all good . maybe 45 sec latter it just quits .dosnt spuder or nothing just dead .pull plugs no spark .pull on to buddies trailler he brings it home we pull off ,try startn it ,it starts then quits .wont start again. have now put in shop getn it warm try it again . someones might say if comp low then it will quit in rev , i checked 105 per side .this is some weird elec. prob . any ideas out there ? iwill update my progress .

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
105 is way low. 125 should be a min I would think

Sent from my HTC-using Tapatalk

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Low compression wouldn't explain the lack of spark. Sounds like a stator problem or maybe a faulty kill switch.

crowdoo

Reaction score
as far as comp think 105 is ok we at 1500m here i think and cold motor but it def a spark thing .put new plugs in it started ran 3 sec done .pulled plugs soaked got new set got wife to pull it over i watched for spark , got spark maybe 2 times on 5 pulls .can i just unplug the kill switch to rule it out .

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lucm on here had an issue with his 09, turned out to be a wire run under the engine that wore through the insulation and would intermittently ground out and kill the motor. Towed it out of the bush twice before they tracked down the problem

crowdoo

Reaction score
thanks will check it out
Lucm on here had an issue with his 09, turned out to be a wire run under the engine that wore through the insulation and would intermittently ground out and kill the motor. Towed it out of the bush twice before they tracked down the problem

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as far as comp think 105 is ok we at 1500m here i think and cold motor but it def a spark thing .put new plugs in it started ran 3 sec done .pulled plugs soaked got new set got wife to pull it over i watched for spark , got spark maybe 2 times on 5 pulls .can i just unplug the kill switch to rule it out .

I'd say try it. Won's take much effort to disconnect it and then you'd have quickly ruled out one more thing. Testing the stator output shouldn't be too tricky either, I'm pretty sure you can use a simple voltage tester just ground one end and put the other into to spark plug cap and monitor the output while somebody else pulls the engine over. I'm not sure what the correct voltage would be though perhaps someone else here would know the answer to that.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i seen where u were from... 105 is still low .... 120 a side on a 800r in alberta anywhere is low .... they only have a 12.3 to 12.5 to 1 head ....

crowdoo

Reaction score
this wire being talked about is right beside motor mount have got carbs off am still dign to get inther to have a look think maybe the reed boots next even with 2ndy off it is still a b to get in there to look for broken wire .ok now for comp. my 105 reading was 4 pulls per side cold eng. am i going to get better reading with hot eng or more pulls.anyone got brp info as far as comp. test number of pulls hot or cold etc.
there is no wire under the engine?

crowdoo

Reaction score
had buddy over did some testing thins thing def has dead short not sure where check that wire by eng mount first if cant find there then pull recoil start digging that way .

jackinthebox

Reaction score
no your gonna get a better reading with a cold engine,assuminig it's your rings.The rer does act suspicously(?) when compression goes for a shitter.

crowdoo

Reaction score
just a up date for anyone following now think my dead short is in the ECM as soon as i unplug it bam dead short gone am going to try ECM from my other sled see what happen . anyone know what a new ECM will cost cant find it BRP parts cat.

crowdoo

Reaction score
cant remember if you checked the voltage regulator?
your the man maxwell the reg is done there is a black and red wire going into vol veg red wire wore threw storted on frame . fixed wire put in reg form other sled boom she going again . i would urge all to check right behind chaincase .wow this was long fix for small prob. as far for compression goinga get some hot and cool readings might post then we can start pool if i get the season . just over 3000km would like to get the season before e-tec or big bore .

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your the man maxwell the reg is done there is a black and red wire going into vol veg red wire wore threw storted on frame . fixed wire put in reg form other sled boom she going again . i would urge all to check right behind chaincase .wow this was long fix for small prob. as far for compression goinga get some hot and cool readings might post then we can start pool if i get the season . just over 3000km would like to get the season before e-tec or big bore .

That was aknown problem with the 08's. Surprised it happened to an 09. Pleases disregard my previous post . lOL.

Top Bottom