09 sierra duramax exhaust/dpf/tuning ??

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all

Just bought an 09 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
Don't know much about the performace side of things so..

What's you're thoughts on the dpf delete.. good idea? bad? worth it? costs?

Good sounding single pipe exhaust systems?

What tuners/programmers work best with the truck? Or should I get it custom programmed?

Thanks!

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all

Just bought an 09 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
Don't know much about the performace side of things so..

What's you're thoughts on the dpf delete.. good idea? bad? worth it? costs?

Good sounding single pipe exhaust systems?

What tuners/programmers work best with the truck? Or should I get it custom programmed?

Thanks!

Hey there got the same truck got a flo pro 5inch right from the turbo back and cts edge Evolution chip but if u get the chip make sure u get the race version, because u can delete your dpf, also way better fuel economy and better sound and no more regend:).....

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just know as soon as you put a programmer on it it voids all power trai n warrenty,not saying it isnt worth it and they do wake them up :beer:

smokindiesel

Reaction score
Custom tuning is where its at. EFI live is what I use to custom tune chevys. For just a DPF delete I charge $300, if you want extra power, I charge $450. I can turn the EGR off while I'm at it. I can even tune in an exhuast brake. Only problem is your in fort mac and I'm in grande Prarrie.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Custom tuning is where its at. EFI live is what I use to custom tune chevys. For just a DPF delete I charge $300, if you want extra power, I charge $450. I can turn the EGR off while I'm at it. I can even tune in an exhuast brake. Only problem is your in fort mac and I'm in grande Prarrie.

That's what I'd reccomend as well, I had a DSP5 switch installed with 5 custom switch on the fly tunes for $500, from this guy

He's in Sherwood park.

If you want a plug and play tuner I'd call xsyourrides, he's a vendor on here with a lot of happy customers. Stick to under 100hp tunes and your trans will survive.

Research EGR blocker as well, right now your truck basically is inhaling a fart all the time..... how would you like that?

Have fun with the new rig!!

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The powertrain warranty thing I've heard about before.. but some say that if you challenge it that GM has to actually literally prove it was your modifications that caused the problem..? not sure how much I wanna trust that! But definately want to keep it at/under extra 100hp for majority of the time.. not looking for problems just reliability and a bit more performance :)..

xtreme fx tuning is a friend of mine actually! glad to hear your happy with the tune, havent had a chance to talk to him yet..egr blocker? never heard of it but sounds grosse.. and yea GP is a bit off the beaten path for me but thanks for the offer sd, i'll keep it in mind for both myself and a few friends I have up there.. Might be an added reason to head that way

thx for the comments so far i'll definately start researching.. I love my rig so far and thanks again! Look forward to hearing some more stuff

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The powertrain warranty thing I've heard about before.. but some say that if you challenge it that GM has to actually literally prove it was your modifications that caused the problem..?

GM will deny coverage and YOU will have to prove that your mods didnt cause the problem. Nobody wins when lawyers are involved ( except the lawyers)

I think the best bet is just finding a good dealer if you have any issues, and be realistic about your own part in causing any problems.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is true.. the other issue may be that if you have an issue and try finding a good dealer, but dont pick the right one off the hop it may hit the system and wreck your odds of gettin any help. :s ah warranty can be such a pain in the a$$

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GM will deny coverage and YOU will have to prove that your mods didnt cause the problem. Nobody wins when lawyers are involved ( except the lawyers)

I think the best bet is just finding a good dealer if you have any issues, and be realistic about your own part in causing any problems.

we have to send snap shots of the scanner screens and uploads,as well as last recorded torque from the trans that is stored and cannot be ereased and that alone if out of spec range is all they need,also they are using calibration codes,if you have one not on gm's current list they get you there as well
like i said the dealers dont care it's gm canada that doesnt pay to fix it

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks slomo. That's great information to know about! I know they changed the cpu's in the 2007.5 and up so that its got 10 slots so re-flashing to stock doesnt remove the history of the tune being there.. gotta have a dealer flash it 10times w there programmer to get rid of it (thats how it was explained to me-basic terms used i mean lol).. though if i keep it under 100hp extra and not abusing it technically shouldnt have any problems.. but things dont always work out that way :dunno:

smokindiesel

Reaction score
I know xtreameFX he can do some good stuff. I would definatly recomend him. You can just do around a 50 hp tune, and that should be pretty safe, unless your a nut behind the wheel lol

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks! and as to if im a nut or not?... well that's just a matter of opinion hehe some days my truck is my race car ;) :p its just as agile n quick.. just needs bigger holes haha

Sparx

Reaction score
Been running my PPF Xcelerator Race Programmer, DPF delete and lift for the last month and a bit with no issues. Put on over 5000kms since then with vacations too. I had more issues with regens and moisture on my intake stock so far, so as far as warranty and service goes there's not much to worry about. GM has as much proof of my hassles with stock than aftermarket. Truck has been into AMP a couple times and they aren't as bad as it's made to seem so far with the whole warrranty scheem of things so far. They believe in the whole cause of the problem situation rather than just cause you have your truck modded it should be voided.

Would I do it again? Definitely, wish I did it sooner... I have an '08 Silver CC SB, machined black rockstars with 4" Cognito lift...

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I have an 09 Duramax, DPF Delete with Magnaflow Exhaust, PPE Tuner, and S&B Air Box. Would I do it again...yes. Have I had any issues...no. Do I like the added power on setting 2 90hp/180tq...hell yeah!

PPE is one of the best GM tuners are the market bar none. Get it done man, and call Stripetech in Calgary for a decent price on this stuff.

Sparx

Reaction score
Stripetech fell through on a deal for me and couldn't supply the parts when promissed. Was impressed with their prices, but Canada Custom Vehicles in Red Deer managed to give me the same price on the same item with no discount applied(Titan fuel tank).

You think you like Tune 2, try tune 3, suggests EGT gauges, but I just use it to play around town, never on it hard enough to require the need of the EGT gauge yet. I love the sound of my AFE exhaust, just the right amount of sound especially when towing. When you have the windows down and mash the throttle she sounds awesome! :d

Duramax's don't really need an air intake, PPE supplies instructions on how to modify your factory intake to allow all the flow it could ever need if you step it to Tune 4 and above. Not required for any less... Saying that, I'm still going to put in a Banks CIA since I need a new filter anyhow, just overkill I know....

Really impressed with the PPE setup though, like the stealth factor of no gauges or monitors. Looks just like factory, but sure don't perform like factory!

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hahaha ya i thought it was kinda funny when i read your first response to the thread :p but still thanks for the input and the dealer info.. pictures are coming.. the truck just finished inspections so i need days off again to be able to throw the lift in etc.. still looks plain :( but give me a bit and ill get some pics of my project started.. next spring is when itll fully come together cause i'll wait to paint in the spring.. only powdercoat before winter i think.. ah the options.. so many things to do with her :D cant wait

Top Bottom