09 M1000 Secondary explode!!!

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out on Saturday at the lake for a ride. I jumped into the first field and I could tell something wasn't right. I was to the bar and only pulling 70k track speed. I messed around for a couple of k and it seamed to 'clear' up. I hoped the road into another field and made it once around and then I lost track speed and the sled started to shake. (like the shake when your track is out of alignment) I dove it to the road only to find that the secondary had actually split apart and the helix was broken????:confused: So I know that I need to buy a new secondary. What suggestions do you guys have? What's working well? I had 3k on this stock one. Mostly mountain ridding. I do want to keep the reverse. Thanks for any and all help.:beer:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one from cat comes complete. There is also one availabl from black diamond that is just the two clutch sheaves and they are about 1/2 the price of the ones from cat.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It actually pulled the bolts out , the diamond drive looks ok. So I have to buy a factory one then. I wasn't sure if there was some aftermarket complete secondaries.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It actually pulled the bolts out , the diamond drive looks ok. So I have to buy a factory one then. I wasn't sure if there was some aftermarket complete secondaries.

havnt seen really any aftermarket complete secondary clutches that work better than a stock one. I would look at buyin one of the black diamond ones and then buy a rk tek secondary kit as it will give you the helix and spring and everything else required. And this set-up works really well.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just found a factory secondary complete with helix and spring for $450? That seams like a really decent price?

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New or used? If its used I would think you could get it cheaper. I believe they are just under $400 US for a new one at countrycat.com

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have pics of your old one . i have a buddy who's m6 eats them and it doesnt matter the brand. If you have could you post them.

Any idea what might have caused it

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know what happened with my secondary and I will admit its my fault. I had taken it apart to install the thrust bearing , when I out it back together I did not locktight the bolts , it actually ob-longed the holes. This would explain why went through a couple of belts and even disintegrated one. Now that I do need a new one , If I was to get the black diamond sheaths and the rk tek secondary kit , when I put this all together would I have to get the clutch calibrated?

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at this setup I think I am going to go this way. The one I bought from Cat is for a Crossfire and I would have to buy the helix anyways. Has anyone else tried this setup?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at this setup I think I am going to go this way. The one I bought from Cat is for a Crossfire and I would have to buy the helix anyways. Has anyone else tried this setup?

The black diamond set-up with rktek? If you look at your factory clutches it will have a black diamond stamp on it somewhere. So they are made by the same company. And as far as the RK tek set-up i run it on my own personal sled and sell alot of these kits and they work great. And no you wouldn't need to get it calibrated.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just talked to BDX and Jeff said he would do a complete secondary ready to go for $360 USD plus shipping? This should work for me I think. If so what angles should I ask for on the helix?

Thanks J

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just talked to BDX and Jeff said he would do a complete secondary ready to go for $360 USD plus shipping? This should work for me I think. If so what angles should I ask for on the helix?

Thanks J

I would get either a 40/36 or a 38/36

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard 40-36 before , I think I will look at getting that one. I am a pretty big dude , would that make a difference?

Top Bottom