08 XP supension

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
I have read many threads about XP's sidehilling and the views are very different especially when the taller riders can get away with the sway bar in and ski spacers on wide. I have an S chassis with 156" and a 159" ZX that side hill better than my 08 that has the sway bar removed and the ski stance bushing moved to narrowed stance, I don't want this to turn into a discussion about rider ability.
When I swap sleds with my friends 07 Rev 159" I find it initiates better and stays layed over better, I am looking at improving the sidehilling and make changes to keep the front end down more in a climb.
I have not changed out the rear spring as i am 155 lbs but i do plan on adjusting it stiffer, I am one setting longer than stock on my limiter strap and the trail manners are good other than the steering is a bit heavy.
I want to improve the suspension on my 154" XP to what a 2010 has without spending too much, Extreme vents minor shock kit for 325.00 vs 600.00 for a OEM kit that comes with shock, rails and limiter strap seems like a cheap way to improve handling.
swapping skiis would help the sidehilling at the expense of trail stability and would not help keep the front end down when climbing and a 2011 model is not an option. Does the extreme kit work as advertised?

Ekim

Reaction score
Try a two wheel kit for the track if you haven't already. HRP makes a cheap easy kit.

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
Try a two wheel kit for the track if you haven't already. HRP makes a cheap easy kit.

I have one on my 03 sled and the ice builds up on the aluminum and the cost of rubber coated wheels plus the axle kit is more than i would spend on the extreme vents shock kit, I like the bling though.

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
update your rear skid to the 2010 or if you really like to get the front end down more get a timbersled skid, pull the riser back to almost inline of your steering post (don't run then straight up), maybe soften up the front shocks abit. Plus I would get some slp powder pro skis down the road, the stock are a terrible mt ski they like to pull back when your counter steering IMO.

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
I put the Xtreme shock kit in my 09/163. Totally changed the sled, in deep snow it gets on top sooner and turns like a late 90's Summit. Shock preload and limiter length becomes critical however because if you go for the best deep snow setup it is a bit of a handful on the trail. Steering becomes easier and I didn't bother with the steering post mod. If you go with the shock, PM me and I will give you a heads up on some issues that the instructions don't address very well.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have tried all the tricks...swapping skids left/right, taking out sway bar, trying different suspension settings, rolling back the riser more...so on and so on...

I'm short and don't weigh a heck of alot and have no issues sidehilling my XP at all. I did have an issue when I was chasing a midrange bog that wouldn't let me control the throttle when riding slow.

Swapping the skis sucks, it lays over quick but handles like crap. My buddy just bought an '11 etec and we swapped out his light sway bar for my heavy one and I put the light one back in my '09 and its great. I have the stock springs in the back and I should have the heavier ones, not for sidehilling performance though.

You don't want it to be about rider ability but you are comparing your ability to a different chassis. Plain and simple it just takes a few rides to learn how well the XP performs. Maybe you have 3000 kms on this sled, I have no idea but throttle control is huge for sidehilling the XP. So having a properly geared/clutched XP is going to give you that throttle control which is more important than the suspension set up.

Countersteering, throttle control, both hands on the bars and slow movements are way cheeper than upgrades.

If you are bound and determined to change how the sled performs I would look at the ski-doo narrow stance upgrade you can get all new a-arms, sway bar, shocks and whatever else you need for the 36" stance for like $650 cdn from ski-doo...its an amazing deal. Narrowing up the front will let the sled lay over with less effort. I find the new '11 sleds actually are too narrow.

I am not familar with this extreme kit you can get for the rear.

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
I have tried all the tricks...swapping skids left/right, taking out sway bar, trying different suspension settings, rolling back the riser more...so on and so on...

I'm short and don't weigh a heck of alot and have no issues sidehilling my XP at all. I did have an issue when I was chasing a midrange bog that wouldn't let me control the throttle when riding slow.

Swapping the skis sucks, it lays over quick but handles like crap. My buddy just bought an '11 etec and we swapped out his light sway bar for my heavy one and I put the light one back in my '09 and its great. I have the stock springs in the back and I should have the heavier ones, not for sidehilling performance though.

You don't want it to be about rider ability but you are comparing your ability to a different chassis. Plain and simple it just takes a few rides to learn how well the XP performs. Maybe you have 3000 kms on this sled, I have no idea but throttle control is huge for sidehilling the XP. So having a properly geared/clutched XP is going to give you that throttle control which is more important than the suspension set up.

Countersteering, throttle control, both hands on the bars and slow movements are way cheeper than upgrades.

If you are bound and determined to change how the sled performs I would look at the ski-doo narrow stance upgrade you can get all new a-arms, sway bar, shocks and whatever else you need for the 36" stance for like $650 cdn from ski-doo...its an amazing deal. Narrowing up the front will let the sled lay over with less effort. I find the new '11 sleds actually are too narrow.

I am not familar with this extreme kit you can get for the rear.

I have already dropped the top gear to 20 tooth, DJ kit and ramps, Super torquer secondary roller, the sled has 800 miles, 250 of them mine, Both of my other sleds are lightened extensively so i am not comparing an XP to stock sleds of bygone eras.
The snow on my only two days in the mountains with this sled was set up a bit and there is no doubt that it will stay layed over in 3 ft of fluff. It will not take much change to make this machine acceptable in lower snow.
I do understand counter steer and throttle control after 16 years of mountain riding but the hype around this chassis gave me unrealistic expectations that maybe only a 2011 Doo would meet. (reality check i guess)

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have read many threads about XP's sidehilling and the views are very different especially when the taller riders can get away with the sway bar in and ski spacers on wide. I have an S chassis with 156" and a 159" ZX that side hill better than my 08 that has the sway bar removed and the ski stance bushing moved to narrowed stance, I don't want this to turn into a discussion about rider ability.
When I swap sleds with my friends 07 Rev 159" I find it initiates better and stays layed over better, I am looking at improving the sidehilling and make changes to keep the front end down more in a climb.
I have not changed out the rear spring as i am 155 lbs but i do plan on adjusting it stiffer, I am one setting longer than stock on my limiter strap and the trail manners are good other than the steering is a bit heavy.
I want to improve the suspension on my 154" XP to what a 2010 has without spending too much, Extreme vents minor shock kit for 325.00 vs 600.00 for a OEM kit that comes with shock, rails and limiter strap seems like a cheap way to improve handling.
swapping skiis would help the sidehilling at the expense of trail stability and would not help keep the front end down when climbing and a 2011 model is not an option. Does the extreme kit work as advertised?

Your best bet is to just go to your local doo dealer and buy the new upper and lower a-arms that are on the 2011 doo's and that will narrow up the front end and make a world of difference in regards to laying ur sled over and side hilling. You would prob also have to buy new steering rods. i know there is quite a bit of adjustment in them but i dont know if there is enough for the narrower stance.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to just go to your local doo dealer and buy the new upper and lower a-arms that are on the 2011 doo's and that will narrow up the front end and make a world of difference in regards to laying ur sled over and side hilling. You would prob also have to buy new steering rods. i know there is quite a bit of adjustment in them but i dont know if there is enough for the narrower stance.

In order to put the shorter a-arms on you have to also do the shocks.

page 136 gets you the whole setup for the narrow front end.

I looked up the Extreme Air vents rear skid mount/shock kit. There are other companies out there doing something simular. Not a bad price.

The biggest difference with the 2011 is the narrower front end. The 2010 has the relocated front shock and the change to the stearing post as well from what I remember. It takes a few rides on the 2011 to get used to how easy it does lay over. On the narrow setting I find it was too tippy. It was like riding an Elan with an 800.

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
S-36 kit says"Narrower ski stance (36"0 ) and longer center shock significantly improves sidehiling and deep snopw carving"
Does that mean that the front end kit includes a center shock for the rear suspension?
If so a guy could just pick up a used set of 2010 rails or buy the rear upgrade and sell off the 2010 shock that come with it to offset some of the costs as well as the 08 used shock and rails.(sounds to good to be true) It sucks that BRP could not illustrate the parts in the kit as there should be a motion ratio linkage in the rear kit etc.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No as far as I know and from what I read it does not come with the longer center shock. It just sounds like they are telling you what would happen if you had a longer shock.

You would still need to do the BRP rear upgrade with shock/rails, or get a longer shock and some used 2010 rails, or do that Extreme setup.

I will agree though that the sled does lay over easier in deep snow. It certainly requires less effort and saves a little arm/shoulder fatigue. Jump from an 08/09 from half a day of riding onto a 2011 and you really find you are trying to over ride the sled when you don't have to.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
update your rear skid to the 2010 or if you really like to get the front end down more get a timbersled skid, pull the riser back to almost inline of your steering post (don't run then straight up), maybe soften up the front shocks abit. Plus I would get some slp powder pro skis down the road, the stock are a terrible mt ski they like to pull back when your counter steering IMO.

This the only way to do it.......lol

funrider

Reaction score
is there much of any difference in the angle of the spindle prior to 08? I have tryed a couple different newer sleds and feel they initiate the turn better. Are the tails of the 6.9 longer than the past skis? (need help turning this sled to lol )

Top Bottom