08 XP owner's

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please check with brp or check yourself if your shaft has been welded from factory....if its not it will come apart and then you'll have problems...they just need to be tac welded...these were pressed on and not welded on some model's....im thinking the early product line which was the shorter tracks like 154 and shorter....easy fix,,i just dont want anybody stuck way out there over this simple check,,,:)

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please check with brp or check yourself if your shaft has been welded from factory....if its not it will come apart and then you'll have problems...they just need to be tac welded...these were pressed on and not welded on some model's....im thinking the early product line which was the shorter tracks like 154 and shorter....easy fix,,i just dont want anybody stuck way out there over this simple check,,,:)

What shaft? Where is it? What part is suposed to be tac welded? Thanks

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:D Also now i found out that the 2 bolts inside your secondary are coming lose, so you'll have to take it apart and lock tight them....dealer just informed me...:)

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great timing Guys! My sled is at the dealer right know for its 10 hr check and for warmers. Will let him know about the driveshaft issues and clutch also. THANKS

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:)Just to update the drive shaft prob....they were welded but...when they went to rebalance the shafts they also ground off the weld on some.....:rant:

summitron

Reaction score
Out in Sicamous on the weekend Three guys had shaft problems, I never seen what actually broke, just seen new XP's getting towed in and the two guys I spoke to, said the main drive shaft broke. I rode brand new XP all weeknend and it ran like a top, except for the DESS post or tether was being a real pain in the butt.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wonder what my dealer is going to think when I come in with a laundry list of "internet" stuff to fix for my XP.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone got really pics of this happening around here? Besides all the internet hype on dootalk? Not saying it is not happening, just hard to talk the dealer into when they have no failures yet. Be good to track, and info on here is a litte more "at home" than on dootalk. Please post your failures.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
none here yet up north, 4 of us with 146" xp's with 300 miles or more each, dealer says "internet hype". decided there's enough of them happening elsewhere that I'm gonna weld mine. checked on a new shaft, $319 and not shipping until Jan 28th. buddy removed the driveshaft from his sled tonite, says it's hard to tell if it's welded but it's not showing any signs of stress or cracking.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:) sorry but i dont post hype...do want you want...dosent matter to me,i checked mine after hearing this from the ski-doo tec.....

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guy's that are spinning the shafts apart what type of riding are they doing? Is it a lot of ditch banging and hard rootin' on the throttle jumping across approaches. Jumping on hard packed and on the throttle hard while landing? Curious to know whats causing the drive shafts to break.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the shafts were welded but when they reballanced the shafts,it took strenth away from the weld,thus causing some too let go,
I also posted this so the people who plan on turbo'ing their 800's better take real caution and beef up the shaft welds...:D
Hard to tell how many will let go but its not hard just to check your sled...for reinsurance....:D

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey twin havent seen the twins on the hills ,whats up?

Still waiting for my turbos to come back from getting rebuilt,the peice of the piston went through them..lol....real soon, i can hardly wait....zoooom...

REVINATOR

Reaction score
heard you were riding with ken in blue river and came down after a couple of hours,did you have some problems with your xp

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:DSmashed my leg up a couple weeks ago before and the thick tree ridding ken was doing was taking a toll on my leg,,sweld up real good,but i went back up after a break...:)

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddy welded his this morning, here's a few pics....
gear side...welded with tig in 6 spots
SKIDOODRIVESHAFT004Small.jpg

brake side...welded in 4 spots
SKIDOODRIVESHAFT003Small.jpg

gear side again...
SKIDOODRIVESHAFT001Small.jpg

Top Bottom