08 XP 800 suggestions....

jevs28

Reaction score
hey everyone.. i have an 08 xp, and last year i noticed how much harder it is to pull my sled around as opposed to a buddies assault. anyone know what mods (that work, tested) that make it easier? i had heard from one place to replace the arms on my skis with the 2011's, which are narrower, but then heard not to. anyone done it? just looking for input. thanks! :cool:

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Define pull around. Do you mean side hill?Side hilling is all about practice and technique. Try practicing and get the technique before changing parts. Check out barandts schooled video it is a great learning tool. Good luck.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey everyone.. i have an 08 xp, and last year i noticed how much harder it is to pull my sled around as opposed to a buddies assault. anyone know what mods (that work, tested) that make it easier? i had heard from one place to replace the arms on my skis with the 2011's, which are narrower, but then heard not to. anyone done it? just looking for input. thanks! :cool:

Have you taken out the stabalizer ?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Define pull around. Do you mean side hill?Side hilling is all about practice and technique. Try practicing and get the technique before changing parts. Check out barandts schooled video it is a great learning tool. Good luck.

i agree with this. the xp is no harder to sidehill/pull around than any other sled. it is however a different technique....

the only mod to make it easier to tip side to side is the s32 conversion kit. can get it from skidoo or from alternative impact. narrows the sstance to just under 36 inches

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
i agree with this. the xp is no harder to sidehill/pull around than any other sled. it is however a different technique....

the only mod to make it easier to tip side to side is the s32 conversion kit. can get it from skidoo or from alternative impact. narrows the sstance to just under 36 inches

Isn't that supposed to be the S36 kit???

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't that supposed to be the S36 kit???

Maybe maxwell comes up shorter than the average S36 package? :cool:

But as Milton sad, you will need to define what it is you are looking to acheive with your sled. Side hiling a XP just requires some technique. I have a standard a-arm package with wide stance spindles (spindles are solid wide stance base, non adjustable) and a sway bar with no problem sidehilling my sled given my very light rider weight.

With an '08 there are a few upgrades you can do to improve the handling. Describe what you wish to gain.

jevs28

Reaction score
Thanks :) I don't have any troubles sidehilling. It's more just boondocking in spring conditions. I still need to disconnect the stab bars which I'll do this year. Just really liked how much smoother the assault was with it and wondered what I could do to mine to male it more like that. I'll check out that kit for sure! Thanks again!

jevs28

Reaction score
Aaaaand I had trouble last year going down a sloped flat surface and pulling her around and back up again but I'm sure that's just a balance issue. I've been told to step back farther as I was turning and she will lay over easier. It was alot easier to do on that assault tho... Trying to stop myself from buying a new sled! Haha 8)

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to spend some time playing with the suspension on your sled and ditch the stabilizer. Remember its not always the sleds fault that it wont turn back uphill ect....practice makes perfect. Good luck and have fun playing

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
One other thing to remember about the 08's is to get the track suspension dialed in as well. Too many people forget about the rear suspension and just attack the stabilizer bar and front shock settings. The 08's if too soft will collapse into the tunnel once the front section of the rear skid has too much weight on it. For this reason, it is best to run the front spring shock as tight as possible and the rear springs as stiff as you can. Let out the limiter strap one hole and ride the sled on the track instead of the ski's. Run the front ski shocks as loose as possible for your riding style and uncouple one link on the stab bar. Its about all you can do with an 08 or 09 unless you replace the entire suspension with an aftermarket skid. Keep in mind this is only for deep snow running as flatland trail riding requires a different approach.

Top Bottom