08 XP 800 Primary Spring Cover

JR Skadoo

Reaction score
Has anyone had a primary spring cover break apart from the bushing? Sled had 2200km. Picked up from the dealer from a full service including clutch disassembly/inspection and 2 days of riding, the tower cap blew up and wrecked the clutch.

doo-guy

Reaction score
Are the three allen head bolts still in the sliding half or did they get pulled out? If it was taken apart to check the primary spring, maybe the cap was not torqued to spec. Was the bushing checked for wear and the measurement was still under the spec. replacement number?

finndoo

Reaction score
Yeah that happened to my 08 at 1000 miles. I was having trouble with extremely erratic rpm on a long climb. Dealer said all was fine inside the clutch so I kept riding, two rides later it all came apart. I replaced all internal clutch parts and the sled ran like a champ again. I found out later that those bushings were prone to early wear and that the fluctuating rpm can be a sign of bad bushings and/or rollers. My buddies 07 started to act a little weird so we replaced bushings and checked rollers and the problem went away. I have since replaced my bushings again at about 1600 miles because of erratic rpm but now I have the updated version so hopefully they will last longer.

98sumitt

Reaction score
Yeah that happened to my 08 at 1000 miles. I was having trouble with extremely erratic rpm on a long climb. Dealer said all was fine inside the clutch so I kept riding, two rides later it all came apart. I replaced all internal clutch parts and the sled ran like a champ again. I found out later that those bushings were prone to early wear and that the fluctuating rpm can be a sign of bad bushings and/or rollers. My buddies 07 started to act a little weird so we replaced bushings and checked rollers and the problem went away. I have since replaced my bushings again at about 1600 miles because of erratic rpm but now I have the updated version so hopefully they will last longer.

Thanks. thats good to know cause I'm just pulled mine off to change bushings and cap at 2100 km and was hoping I wasn't spending $ needlessly. Mine was starting to develope a slightly unusual rattle and thought I would start there.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a primary spring cover break apart from the bushing? Sled had 2200km. Picked up from the dealer from a full service including clutch disassembly/inspection and 2 days of riding, the tower cap blew up and wrecked the clutch.

Are you talking the bushing in the Cap/cover?

deeppowpow

Reaction score
I think every 08 had trouble. Replace with 09 clutch components and you should be good to go. The bushing material seems to fail prematurely, check your rollers to likely will need to be replaced. BTW skidoo doesnt feel they have to warranty clutch components but for some reason they changed the faulty parts in 09 they know of the issue and stick it to the customer.

Top Bottom