08 M8 or 08 Xp

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might be replacing my 08xp summit and have considered an M8 as well.

I like the xp but wonder if the 08's have a glass jaw. BRP might agree as it has added 30 pounds to the 2010 model.

I'm not looking for a simple (skidoo vs. AC) thread, I only want to know differences that you have noticed. Strengths and weaknesses of both.

I know these things can get out of hand but please be respecful, what's important is that we all can ride, now what we are riding.

so, given BRP as added some weight to the summit, is the M8 really much heavier? What's the scoop with the 08 diamond drive? 15 vs 16 inch track?? I am on the fence here.

metalmulisha

Reaction score
i like my ac but it is heaver then the summit but mine are older sleds so sh!t could have changed :confused:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did ride with a couple of cats this year and a few burnt a few belts. They seemed to handle boondocking a little better. My XP I found is a little tougher bouncing around. I think it has something to do with the rider foward. As I am still geting used to the XP. So far so good but the real test is in the mountains havent been there with it yet maybe at easter time. :beer: Also 1,050 miles on mine still factory belt.

Last edited:

RichardL

Reaction score
I ride an 07 M8 and love it. Power on AC is not quite up there with XP but you should take a look at the 2010 Cats. they finally upgraded the seats have a telescoping handlebar have also gotten rid of the reverse gear and made the engine reverse for 2009. Now claimed power on the 800 is 155hp. I have never tried the summits as this is my first machine ever. IMO everyone makes a good machine just depends how you ride and what colors and shape you prefer.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a09 800 xp 154,my main riding partner rides a 07m8 with quiet abit of SLP stuff,He seems more agile in the woods but Im faster[unless he uses the nos]off the line and top speed,I cimb better and weigh less,Ive rode his lots but the more I get used to the XP the harder his is to ride,Im 6ft and the higher stance is better for me,The M8 is a nice machine though,could use a 16inch track but either way there both good but i do the DOO

KingCatz

Reaction score
With my dads friends Summit X and my M8 I'm usually 2 sled lengths ahead going straight up. He is a doo person but he doesn't beak as much now. :D

klswine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride an 07 M8 and love it. Power on AC is not quite up there with XP but you should take a look at the 2010 Cats. they finally upgraded the seats have a telescoping handlebar have also gotten rid of the reverse gear and made the engine reverse for 2009. Now claimed power on the 800 is 155hp. I have never tried the summits as this is my first machine ever. IMO everyone makes a good machine just depends how you ride and what colors and shape you prefer.

Its actually overver 160hp. Rode with a 2009 M8 LE this year and it held its own with all the summits it ran with. No problem boondocking and the new 15" Powerclaw track this sled rips. Rode it for about 5 miles and noticed how much lighter it was than my 136" xfire600. And had good torque. With the H.O. 800 this year everyone should be happy with the new M8. Good friend just spring ordered an M8 and he can't wait for next yr.:d:beer:

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I havnt try the m8 but I try f7 it was all right nice looking not bad power.The
problem I have is the dealer service it might just my thing when i use to own a
Cat I'am stil having GRRRRabout it.My feeling now are If not DOO it just wouldn't do .Sorry Cat people:rolleyes:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I might be replacing my 08xp summit and have considered an M8 as well.

I like the xp but wonder if the 08's have a glass jaw. BRP might agree as it has added 30 pounds to the 2010 model.

I'm not looking for a simple (skidoo vs. AC) thread, I only want to know differences that you have noticed. Strengths and weaknesses of both.

I know these things can get out of hand but please be respecful, what's important is that we all can ride, now what we are riding.

so, given BRP as added some weight to the summit, is the M8 really much heavier? What's the scoop with the 08 diamond drive? 15 vs 16 inch track?? I am on the fence here.

I drive the same sled and am very pleased with it but Knock on wood, have not hit anything yet. Do you mind me asking why you want to get rid of it?

cueball115a

Reaction score
Saguenay region, mont Valin is my play ground now.
I used to have a Summit 700 2001 and now I have a Crossfire 800 2009. And I'm very impress with the machine . I know there not equal to each other but the A/C does it job very well and everyone I talk to with there M8 or 1000 are feeling the same way. As for the Diamond drive . on my sled and the M-8 that i talk too it work very good but if you abused of it. Well it will break and your bank account too. For the best answer look around what have you see on the trail this pass winter and what was towed out.

:nono::nono::beer::nono::nono:

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drive the same sled and am very pleased with it but Knock on wood, have not hit anything yet. Do you mind me asking why you want to get rid of it?

I'm waiting to her if it will be fixed or written off. If it's written off I have the cash and could replace it with another 08, or try an m8 instead... I'm worried that the 08's are just too light and too easy to tweak the sub-frame.

muffin

Reaction score
A very important point for one think about is The Dealer you will use . With either brand. I have AC ,Doo, and Yamaha, preferance to the Yamaha for power and reliability next the Cat for handleing and reliabilty But above all I have better luck with Cat dealers for customer satisfaction. Yamaha is not in your thoughts but , the little bit i need to deal with Yamaha issues The dealers , RULE!!!!:d

IFSM8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was to do it all over again it would be another cat. I bought a 09 XP and I think it is a great trail sled but not a very agile machine, it is good to go straight up a hill but that is it. It takes way more rider input to get the machine to do what you want. The M8 I had for 2 seasons before I hit a large rock was a great machine it was an effortless feeling machine that took very little input to make that machine go anywhere. I do admit that it sucks going up the trail with it but I only have to deal with that for the way up and down the hill. Just My 2 Cents!

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was to do it all over again it would be another cat. I bought a 09 XP and I think it is a great trail sled but not a very agile machine, it is good to go straight up a hill but that is it. It takes way more rider input to get the machine to do what you want. The M8 I had for 2 seasons before I hit a large rock was a great machine it was an effortless feeling machine that took very little input to make that machine go anywhere. I do admit that it sucks going up the trail with it but I only have to deal with that for the way up and down the hill. Just My 2 Cents!

All depends on the dealer, for one, and if your XP does not handle well, I suggest you might need to do some setting up on the sled. All sleds now out of the box are fairly good, but all can be made better with a little TLC and setup. I prefer Doo, great dealer, reliable sled, and easy to handle.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All depends on the dealer, for one, and if your XP does not handle well, I suggest you might need to do some setting up on the sled. All sleds now out of the box are fairly good, but all can be made better with a little TLC and setup. I prefer Doo, great dealer, reliable sled, and easy to handle.

I am finding that with my doo doo, point and shoot. I need to be able to toss it around like I could do with my Poo Poo. Might take more time next winter to set it up with some help. Riding tomorrow..

Sumit 600 HO

Reaction score
I knoticed the arcticat have rougher suspension stock not fox floats and the do is a bit easier to throw around it also depends on how good u r other than that those sleds are equaly awsome

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I was going to switch, but insurance has decided to fix the xp so i guess it's sticking around.

Summit600Mtn

Reaction score
If you go for a M8 they are quite a bit heavier but they are a good Mtn sled they almost go anywhere but with the XP they are nicer (in my books) and you can get more milege out of them and they go dawm nere anywhere to and there better on gas.
So i'd go with the XP and maybe if you want more power and to do big ass hillclimbs go for a 09 XP 800 "162 my friend has one its a crazy sled i rode it and its just Crazy ( in a good way haha) Good Luck On Picking The Right Sled For Yourself!

Top Bottom