08 M1000 died and will not start

vic

Reaction score
Ran 1.3 miles and suddenly stopped. Can't get it started .Will a left hand trottle work against the kill switch? When climing it slowed down suddenly on a different ocassion but didn't die. When you tow do you remove your belt? any idea's where to start looking before I take it in? Thanks

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran 1.3 miles and suddenly stopped. Can't get it started .Will a left hand trottle work against the kill switch? When climing it slowed down suddenly on a different ocassion but didn't die. When you tow do you remove your belt? any idea's where to start looking before I take it in? Thanks

Not enough info. Yes, a lefty throttle can affect the throttle safety switch. Did it die as though the kill switch was hit, or did it bog out? Does it pull over normally (no extra drag?) What do the plugs look like? Pull the pipe and have a look through the Y pipe for signs of meltdown...
As far as towing, pull the belt off.

vic

Reaction score
Not enough info. Yes, a lefty throttle can affect the throttle safety switch. Did it die as though the kill switch was hit, or did it bog out? Does it pull over normally (no extra drag?) What do the plugs look like? Pull the pipe and have a look through the Y pipe for signs of meltdown...
As far as towing, pull the belt off.
It slowed down fast and stopped.can hear the belt flapping while slowing down. It was like no fuel and coming to a stop.Yes like extra drag pulling.Norm is hard and easier toward the end. Was serviced 2 rides ago,always started first pull ,maybe 2 if really cold, or had not been started for a long period. Pulled the belt to tow it, belt is new .What happens if you don't? The plugs look new and clean not black or white. Seems to be clean looking into the y pipe with flashlite.Sledding is new to me and not sure if there was something I could have done so I woul'dnt have to call a day. I added some gasline antifreeze and got a brief backfire. Will probably take it in to get fixed.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The belt will just add drag when towing.
As far as your starting issue - does it have spark? If so, I suspect a bad fuel pump (or frozen). It is possible you stuck a piston - were you WOT or cruising in the 1/2 throttle range for a while? Any modifications to the sled (y-pipe, intake, etc?) If the sled is modded without a fuel controller, I suspect you'll be needing a new piston and possibly a cylinder.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it still turns over so that is the biggest issue out of the problem. You should pull the pipe and look into the cylinders to make sure there is no damage, then I would start looking at fuel pump and fuel system.

vic

Reaction score
The belt will just add drag when towing.
As far as your starting issue - does it have spark? If so, I suspect a bad fuel pump (or frozen). It is possible you stuck a piston - were you WOT or cruising in the 1/2 throttle range for a while? Any modifications to the sled (y-pipe, intake, etc?) If the sled is modded without a fuel controller, I suspect you'll be needing a new piston and possibly a cylinder.

goldfinger left hand trottle,speedwerks y pipe,mbrp can.just cruising,yesterday added gasoline antifreeze and got a breif back fire on Sunday so I assume plugs are firing.I pulled it a bit with the pipe off and the pistons were moving,I was looking in the y pipe,was + 4 -6 sat. Sled started first pull let warm 15 mins got ready shut off and restarted 1 pull Gps was 1.3 miles when it died. Bigger intake , RT TEK .Fuse is good.

vic

Reaction score
Sounds like it still turns over so that is the biggest issue out of the problem. You should pull the pipe and look into the cylinders to make sure there is no damage, then I would start looking at fuel pump and fuel system.
Looked in the y pipe can"t see a lot even with flashlite ,can see them move when pulling a bit seem clean.

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Backfiring means its getting spark, for a split second try disconnecting the gold finger. Have seen where they take up the slack in the cable and trip the throttle safety switch shutting down machine.

vic

Reaction score
Backfiring means its getting spark, for a split second try disconnecting the gold finger. Have seen where they take up the slack in the cable and trip the throttle safety switch shutting down machine.
I think the goldfinger is going back in the bag, also heard they can create more problems.

vic

Reaction score

Did you end up getting the sled to run?
No I didn't .Ended up taking it into MTN Magic and that's the first thing Rick figured might be. Have to wait till they look at it. Did'nt think I could figure it out . My 2nd yr around sleds.

djspeedracer

Reaction score
Could be a loose wire on the throttle positioning sensor. or a bad sensor it self. If the wire is lose it wont let your sled start.

vic

Reaction score
No, took sled in monday wanted to get it off the trailer.Didn't realize how much help there was on the site.Let you know when I get it back.
They found broken wire on the trottle sensor,piston ring cornerd,collasped? I have a speedwerks y pipe ,mbrp can ,big mouth intake. Do i need fuel controller? Bad fuel?

Top Bottom