08 F350 6.4 Won't Start

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pulled out my Edge/Juice and radar detector. A few days later went to fire it up, and no start. All the lights come on, can hear the fuel pump running. Does'nt turn over or nothing. Thought maybe it sat for a while the batteries are down. Checked and they are at 11.89 so I put the charger on for about 14 hrs for sh..ts and giggles. No luck. Any ideas what might be goin on?? Thanks..

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It fires though, but just won't start? You measured your voltage while your charger was on, it's working right. Had similar problem, but my batteries were wore down, and froze, would not fire with my charger on cause it was crap, and I believe they won't start unless the truck is getting more then a certain amount not sure how much exactly, seems to me 12, but don't take that as gospel. I'm not familiar with the edge chips anymore, I know my banks used to have wires going to the crank and everything. Are all your wires hooked back together properly. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, and is totally useless garbage.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My truck did that and had it towed to dealer. First time it was an oxygen sensor, second tow it was an injector failure. The computer will shut the truck down. And the codes did not show up on my code reader. You say you had an edge, they'll know that when they plug it in. I ran a Hypertech for a few days in mine to see if that changes anything and they knew. Hopefully that doesn't change anything. Or the DPF filter can be plugged as well. Am glad I have an AMA card though.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It fires though, but just won't start? You measured your voltage while your charger was on, it's working right. Had similar problem, but my batteries were wore down, and froze, would not fire with my charger on cause it was crap, and I believe they won't start unless the truck is getting more then a certain amount not sure how much exactly, seems to me 12, but don't take that as gospel. I'm not familiar with the edge chips anymore, I know my banks used to have wires going to the crank and everything. Are all your wires hooked back together properly. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, and is totally useless garbage.

No, nothing happens. No fire, no nothing. All the lights come on, fuel pump runs. The coil light doesn't come on. Kinda weird. Like the key is dead.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does your truck have a remotestart if so and the installer hooked up the starter anti grind on it just try pressing lock and unlock on remote start ( especially if its a ford one ) then try it let me know what happens

does theft light flash ? if so it may have forgotten key try the other one soem ford keys dont take dropping too well either

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
PM'd you my number, thats EXACTLY what my truck did twice. The computer has shut down the truck and you can't reset it, needs to get a hook to the dealer. Then I bet you the O2 sensor on the exhaust system is done. Its a warranty item but you have to get it to Ford.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, nothing happens. No fire, no nothing. All the lights come on, fuel pump runs. The coil light doesn't come on. Kinda weird. Like the key is dead.

Not sure if disconnecting the cables on the batteries and hooking back up would work for that or not, could try it.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Not sure if disconnecting the cables on the batteries and hooking back up would work for that or not, could try it.

When my truck did that, it didn't help at all. I thought it was a security issue, disconnected the remote starter. Unhooked batterys, let stand for a bit. Then nothing. Had AMA tow mine back to my shop, then got the other key and nothing. So called them again, they then towed to freedom ford, and after 5 days they got it in and fixed it. I still had to pay for the rental and oil change. If your under 60K the call Ford they'll tow for you for free, and if more then call a hook. Hopefully you have AMA, they were nice enough to tow me 2 times in one day. Usually they wont. If you have the extended warranty they will pay for the tow and the rental.

Lucky that happened at home rather than on a trip in the mountains.

Last edited:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PM'd you my number, thats EXACTLY what my truck did twice. The computer has shut down the truck and you can't reset it, needs to get a hook to the dealer. Then I bet you the O2 sensor on the exhaust system is done. Its a warranty item but you have to get it to Ford.

An O2 sensor shouldn't cause a no start as it is only an emmisions sensor.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An O2 sensor shouldn't cause a no start as it is only an emmisions sensor.

Look at it, he said it's EXACTLY what happened, after they got it going THEN they had to replace o2 sensor. Damn trucks are probably programmed to do that. I'll have to remember this as I have 34000 K on mine right now. Dam thing will probably happen when I'm sitting out on the lease by myself when it's -30 C. Then I'll just burn it too stay warm.

Nadz

Reaction score
Mine did that. I got my wife to bring the dually and a trailer to Fort Mac. I hauled it to my mechanic at home. He couldn't figure it out, so he started with the simple stuff. He pulled the cover off of the fuse box and the ignition fuse was laying on it's side. Ya!!! On one hand I was pretty hot but on the other hand, it was a cheap fix.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does your truck have a remotestart if so and the installer hooked up the starter anti grind on it just try pressing lock and unlock on remote start ( especially if its a ford one ) then try it let me know what happens

does theft light flash ? if so it may have forgotten key try the other one soem ford keys dont take dropping too well either

I'll try that and get back to you. I have a remote start, maybe I will give the guy that installed a call. :rant::rant:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at it, he said it's EXACTLY what happened, after they got it going THEN they had to replace o2 sensor. Damn trucks are probably programmed to do that. I'll have to remember this as I have 34000 K on mine right now. Dam thing will probably happen when I'm sitting out on the lease by myself when it's -30 C. Then I'll just burn it too stay warm.

Well then old wise one, if the O2 sensor caused a no start problem, (which is impossible) how did they get it started before they replaced the O2 sensor:confused:

After 30 years as a certified tech you would think I would know a bit about what I'm saying. :d

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well then old wise one, if the O2 sensor caused a no start problem, (which is impossible) how did they get it started before they replaced the O2 sensor:confused:

After 30 years as a certified tech you would think I would know a bit about what I'm saying. :d

Did he not say that it was a computer problem. It had to be towed to the dealership. They got it going by reprogramming computer....then told him they also had to replace the 02 sensor. Maybe they faulter because of the computer problem. I have no idea. I just thought he said it was the actual computer that had to be reprogrammed. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not wasting my time by going back to check.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, it got a deck ride yesterday to the dealership. The security light is flashing so they say it shut the computer down. See what happens NOW!!

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GET THIS!! Got a call from my Diesel tech. After alot of checking, found that a fuse from the bottom pass side fuse box was missing. Dropped in a new fuse and all is good. Can't believe it!!! Had the truck for 3 years and never been in that fuse box. And Oh Yeh, $220.00 for the time and $200.00+ for the deck ride. Just a little WIERD....

FYI..

Location 71 missing 5amp fuse. Controls ability to turn on PCM power Relay.
Installed new 5 amp fuse in location 71. Vehicle now starts and runs normally.

Thanks to all for the input. Thought it was going to be nasty.

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy goats that's a lot of money to find it was just a fuse.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy goats that's a lot of money to find it was just a fuse.

Had to find the problem, that's where the cost came from. Labor. $190.00, 10 bucks for fuse and 20 Bucks shop supplies. That's a quick breakdown. I was prepaired for worse. Like some kind of a computer issue, and that could have been thousands. I'll suck up 400 bucks easy..

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You said it was missing or a blown fuse. Who would take the fuse out?

Fuse was missing. Don't know how. Like I said I had the truck for 3 years and was never in that fuse box. :confused::confused: Sounds fishy I know. But it's fixed and a way we go.

Top Bottom