08 800 excessive oil use

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i thought i had a problem once last year and now again, full oil tank 75miles and the oil light is on, my wifes 800 was just down about a third, had the cables checked in the spring and its in spec. should i gamble and adj. it more or what else could cause this, can the oil pump stick on, sled seemed to be smoking more that usual i know its not a leak, checked it well, no oil anywere. any thoughts

giddyup

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems to be a problem with the oil pump cables breaking at the pump end....at least it goes to full rich when it breaks....

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the oil pump cable can fray down at the pump where it exits the cable sheath, pretty common XP problem. If the cable breaks the pump operates full rich, and while it is fraying it can cause stuck throttle :eek: You have to pull the secondary, clutch tower and carbs to get at it and check it thoroughly, but a borescope or mirror would work to give it a visual.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, that makes sense, i will have a look at it later, buddy has a borescope but he is in revy right now, are we sure it gose full rich, i can live with full rich in the mountians a full throttle.
thanks
mark

kevin p

Reaction score
your adjustment on your cable should be at about 16mm. you dont adjust them at the pump either. its about a foot back from the pump.

tpollon2

Reaction score
Your adjustment does not matter if your cable is fraying. It gets hung up causing you to burn way too much oil. My cable was hanging on by threads and burning 18:1

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can inspect the cable if you look in a hole in the left side module behind and below the primary.

I think 16mm is a little rich. I reduce the slack in the throttle at the carbs, then set it at 18 mm. got 38:1

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is there a hole in the bulkhead/nun i was going to try also from the mag side, thanks for the advice on that, i will try and look thanks for the advice this everyone

giddyup

kevin p

Reaction score
18mm wow. doo told me to have 15mm and i figured 16 would be better. im gonna shoot for a 32-1 ratio. lots of scuffing on most doo pistons intake side. more oil is ur friend.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
18mm wow. doo told me to have 15mm and i figured 16 would be better. im gonna shoot for a 32-1 ratio. lots of scuffing on most doo pistons intake side. more oil is ur friend.

16mm would give me 25:1 I even had to take up ALL the slack on the throttle cable to make it get to 38:1

kevin p

Reaction score
16mm would give me 25:1 I even had to take up ALL the slack on the throttle cable to make it get to 38:1

i will try your way first i think. looks a bit easier to get at things. its gonna be now one of ralphs 860's. looking forward to trying one of his big bores.

Top Bottom