08 6.4 f350....pinion seal...milky diff oil

SRJD

Reaction score
I got my rear diff oil changed a month and a half ago it was looking pretty rough wich surprised me since i only have 45000 k on it...now my pinion seal is leaking ford said it wasnt bad enough to fix yet so keep an eye on the level so i checked the level today it is good but the oil in the rear diff is grey again and its almost like its goopy and has lots of water in it....keep in mind that its minus 25 out right now...any ideas...could water be getting in through somewhere also could my breather tube be blocked therefore blowing the pinion??my main consern is how the oil looks im out in the bush right now and im worried about driving it back to town???and ideas?

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you been in water with the truck?, this is common if you are constantly in and out of say boat launches or such, a little water is not bad but still should be flushed out. the long term effects are on the bearings, the surfaces of the bearings will eventually flake and pound out, they will not rust but the water will keep the oil out of the bearings. in worst case situations it will act on the gear set. water can enter yes pinion seal but very unlikely, usually through the breather tube, check to see if the tube is cracked or fallen out of the frame of the truck, you can extend it up higher to make sure it stays dry and clean,

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got my rear diff oil changed a month and a half ago it was looking pretty rough wich surprised me since i only have 45000 k on it...now my pinion seal is leaking ford said it wasnt bad enough to fix yet so keep an eye on the level so i checked the level today it is good but the oil in the rear diff is grey again and its almost like its goopy and has lots of water in it....keep in mind that its minus 25 out right now...any ideas...could water be getting in through somewhere also could my breather tube be blocked therefore blowing the pinion??my main consern is how the oil looks im out in the bush right now and im worried about driving it back to town???and ideas?

Remind me never to go to that dealer,ANY SEAL that shows any sign of oil on it is in need of replacing.So when you are out in the middle of no where and the seal tears out they'll run out and change it for you.If you checked your oil after you have been driving it could look milky like it has water in it but all it is the oil aerated.I've seen seals freeze to the pinion after sitting and rip a small bit when you drive away.If you see no silver in the oil or is really black you'll be safe to drive home.

SRJD

Reaction score
the oil looks grey and definatly not balck and i checked it after its been sitting for a day and a half keep in mind how cold it is but does this mean its not good enough to drive home??

SRJD

Reaction score
milky i can understand but when i take the filler plug out almost looks like it frozen...its clumpy looking and frothy and after sitting for days???is that normal??

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if the fluid is grey and looks like a milk shake with froth on it it has water in it. most oils go in goldish in colour and comes out black. every diff i have ever build had black fluid and all the new fluids were goldish. some fluids can be other colours ie. synthetics can be green, purple but i have never seen grey fluid.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get it looked at when you get back to town. you would need alot of water in it to cause damage to it in a short distance. you will be fine to drive it home, but get it to a decent garage when you get home.and ford is no different then gm or dodge, they will not fix a "sweating" seal. it must have drips or running onto the ground. this is normal with all dealers not just yours.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
having been a FORD TECH for twenty years i never doubted a customers complaint of a seeping seal meant money for me
if worse come to worse climb under there while your checking the fluid pour some fluid in behind the pinion flange to make it look worse....

psycoticmudder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take some oil out and let stand if its synthetic the water will separate as soon as it warms up hypoid will to but take more time to separate because it absorbs it. after long trip check it when cold it foams up with air until warm. check for milky after trip

Last edited:

SRJD

Reaction score
k thanks...you still work at a dealership or do just work privatly

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no i am done working on vehicles install underground sprinklers now
but the misses still works as a service advisor wouldnt be a problem to get it looked after for ya

Top Bottom