07 xrs summit 800r ( good buy)

chrispy

Reaction score
My step brother was looking at a 07 xrs summit 800r with 550km. i have heard that the 07 had engine issues. the engines sounds strong, did a compression test ,both sides equall. would it be worth buying, or is it something he should stay away from? or is it just chance that the engine may ar may not give him issues? Any advice.

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My step brother was looking at a 07 xrs summit 800r with 550km. i have heard that the 07 had engine issues. the engines sounds strong, did a compression test ,both sides equall. would it be worth buying, or is it something he should stay away from? or is it just chance that the engine may ar may not give him issues? Any advice.

There is about 100 threads asking the same thing,try doing a search.

The 07 800r engine was a ticking time bomb, if the engine has been replaced you should be ok, but if not RUN AWAY. :nono:Some have held together for a while but it's definatly not a chance that I would take!;) Compression may be good but it's the crank you have to worry about on that engine!:eek:

chrispy

Reaction score
did do a search and read most of them. Everyone seems to have different opinions. Some are good some are bad. just wanted other peoples opinions. If i give a dealer the SN# will they be able to tell me updates have been done?.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, what the last guy said.
Wish i knew about Snow and Mud before i bought one. Sled blew up after about 200 miles,it had 1700 miles on it before i bought it and the sled looked new. Was told by the seller that i had nothing to worry about, that it was his third '07 and never had an issue...sled never left him stranded.

Anyway, got a motor(warrenty was up by a month) installed and clutched by Dan @ Extreme Machines and sled ran/runs very well, but having a tough time trying to selling it.Nobody trusts them which is why I bought a new XP myself in '09.

Long story short....I'd stay away unless it has a new motor from BRP.Just my 2.5 cents.:beer:
Mines still forsale after a year or so. 159" summit X, all stock except for a can and two new springs in the clutches. (2444 miles on sled, about 700 miles on motor.)

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did do a search and read most of them. Everyone seems to have different opinions. Some are good some are bad. just wanted other peoples opinions. If i give a dealer the SN# will they be able to tell me updates have been done?.

Dealer will be able to tell you what was done under warranty anyway. From the posts I have read there are very few peeps that will tell you the 07 was a good purchase.
The 07 would be a good fit if you don't like the cold...as long as you have a heated garage!!!:cool:
Seems to be a lot of good deals out there, maybe your buddy should keep lookin, there was a 05 summit on this site that seemed like a pretty good deal.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Low kms, even worse IMO. Although it doesn't seem to matter...some go right away some last and last then go boom like bayman's. At 1700 you think maybe you got one that'll last...not. Haven't heard many peeps that have this engine in 07 that haven't had trouble or replaced it. There's threads everywhere about it. There are a few that got lucky. Bayman hit the nail on the head...I've even looked at getting an 07 with a new engine but you can pretty much guarantee no resale value even if it's not really an 07 anymore.

chrispy

Reaction score
Thanx for the advice. I will let him know and contact the dealer see if any warrenty work has been done. Was kinda wondering why it was so cheap, guess the guy is probably having trouble selling it. He is new to sledding so dont want him to buy something just cause its a good deal, not so good if your left stranded on a mountain.

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 07 is one of them machines if you get one that has an 08 or newer engine and all the updates it is a great machine. If you get one that has'nt been updated it is a real pos. I bought one new in 07 and have never been so disgusted in a sled in my life. The next year I got a new engine and all the updates and I can't bring myself to sell it now. The ride of the xrs is great and with a little work they will still hang with any of the new machines out there. I personally have'nt come across an xp that will make my 07 run and hide.

stickman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got mine with 200km on it and now it's got more than 3200km and no problems for me. The engine still pulls strong, just regular maintanence every year and no engine issues. Only problem I had was the electric starter cratered and had to replace it. I think it depends on which model you have as to the engine issues. Mine is the Adrenaline and I think most of the ones with the problems were X models.

DTH

Reaction score
I got mine with 200km on it and now it's got more than 3200km and no problems for me. The engine still pulls strong, just regular maintanence every year and no engine issues. Only problem I had was the electric starter cratered and had to replace it. I think it depends on which model you have as to the engine issues. Mine is the Adrenaline and I think most of the ones with the problems were X models.

The engines are no more problematic in the X or XRS than the Adlenaline, the engines are all the same.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I ride with a buddy who has an 07 Summit 144 with the 800R and he has 9000 km's on his. He rides alot of trail miles and he has a 144 X 1.25" track on it. He is currently rebuilding the engine now. I've seen pictures of it and it looks very nice inside. The bores were excellent, just has alot of clearance and needs new rings, pins, bearings and pistons. He is going with dual ring pistons. He also runs the RK tech head and it was a strong running sled. I have rode it. He also found the runout on the crank to be out of tolerance, so he is replacing it now as well..... Not bad for 9000 km's and one engine. By the way, he only uses cheap Wal-mart snowmobile injection oil......So, I would say, they are not all bad.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 07 800r and im happy withit so far... as for the lemon theory, i have been riding sled for 25 years during that time i have seen no tow strap go unused on any brand.. they ALL break down. Every last one brand has its problems and there dark moments. Buy a sled because you like it and it fits your budget.

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 07 800r and im happy withit so far... as for the lemon theory, i have been riding sled for 25 years during that time i have seen no tow strap go unused on any brand.. they ALL break down. Every last one brand has its problems and there dark moments. Buy a sled because you like it and it fits your budget.

Save some $$$$$$$ in your budget for a new engine

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL - see this is why you shouldn't make assumptions about people on the internet. I grew up in BC and have ridden there all my life. I go back monthly to visit my family and ride, I also have a cabin out there, so technically, I do have mountains in my backyard as well, just depends which yard I'm in. Don't assume that people's location means they don't ride much.

i can see this one already"ITS ON" im goin to get popcorn and watch how this unfolds.

Top Bottom