07 phazer help

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I got the good old " so I suppose I'm staying home alone another winter" a little while ago and decided to buy something for the girlfriend and something I can ditchbang around here with. Found an 07 yammy phazer mtx that I kind of like. Heard they are great women and first timer sleds. Any body know of any common problems these machines have had? Any input from anyone that has ridden one. Need to make a decision soon

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have 2 of them 08 and 07 both have been trouble free so far my wife and daughter like them add gas and go :d

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode one for half of last season and I honestly couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I'm not an overly aggressive rider by any stretch and I thought from what I read it would be a good sled for me, if not.... the wife might like a step up from her MM700. WRONG! It was so fricken tippy on and off the trail I found myself fighting with it constantly. At first I just thought I had to get used to it or make some adjustments but.. 600 kms later and suspension adjusted over and over it was just not as fun of a sled to ride as all the articles indicated. It was a total dog in anything over 12" deep. No track speed for climbing even the smallest hills. The wife tried it once for about 2 kms and she absolutely hated it too....she didn't give it much of a chance to be honest but after my experience with it I wasn't going to force her to ride it and get hurt. Her MM 700 outperformed the Phazer head and shoulders. I sold it 2 months later with 1300 kms on it, for $1500 less than what I paid for it and it was leaking oil and the rear shock was totally shot. Even the dealer couldn't figure out where the oil was coming from. There are good points though...unique look and unbelievably good on fuel. Yet some people swear by these things. I guess everyone wants something different from a sled but IMO....I wouldn't touch it. There's a reason they're for sale so cheap.:beer:

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive rode a few. and i think there a fun little sled. sure a bit heavy but oh well.. there are a bullet proof sled. rode one turbowed as well.. thats fun too

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive rode a few. and i think there a fun little sled. sure a bit heavy but oh well.. there are a bullet proof sled. rode one turbowed as well.. thats fun too

bought one a month ago for the girlfriend. She has no sled experience but quads awesome. Better than most guys! This sled is so tippy for a new rider. I ride a nitro so for me its awesome. Light and nimble. She hated it. Tried my nitro and she said to heavy. Then rode my crossfire 1000 and heaven she said. Anyways i am at home waiting for don kinghorn to drop of her new crossfire 800. Not sure it the best for a new rider

t-keila

Reaction score
I'm a newbie - my man got me an '08 phazer. I'm little, only 5'1". First time out I tipped twice, 2nd time didn't tip at all but he said it looked like i was gonna around every corner, so I do a lot of leaning. The ski's on it are really wide so he's gonna change those out to see if it makes a difference - he got on it a bit and said it's "heavy" to steer. It is great on gas though. We'll see how it goes.

t-keila

Reaction score
P.S. he says he wishes he'd spent the extra money to get me the 2010 summit 600 that was also a good deal at the time.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I got the good old " so I suppose I'm staying home alone another winter" a little while ago and decided to buy something for the girlfriend and something I can ditchbang around here with. Found an 07 yammy phazer mtx that I kind of like. Heard they are great women and first timer sleds. Any body know of any common problems these machines have had? Any input from anyone that has ridden one. Need to make a decision soon

Don't know what your price range is but I'm selling a 08 Phazer MTX with only 259km.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie - my man got me an '08 phazer. I'm little, only 5'1". First time out I tipped twice, 2nd time didn't tip at all but he said it looked like i was gonna around every corner, so I do a lot of leaning. The ski's on it are really wide so he's gonna change those out to see if it makes a difference - he got on it a bit and said it's "heavy" to steer. It is great on gas though. We'll see how it goes.

I put a set of Simmons GenII (10' wide) skis on my wife's Phazer and that helped with the tippyness quite a bit.

snowdrifter

Reaction score
Stay away! My buddies wife had one. Whenever she could, she would try to switch sled with someone and never would give it back. Mostly her old man was the poor guy stuck with it.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had one and put 4500 km on it in two seasons and had not one problem.Crappy on fuel but i think thats cause i was never less than wide open. Kinda tippy to begin with took me about 200 km to get used to it. Put a 3.5" riser block on the handlebar, exhaust and intake kit as well as a clutch kit and it was one of the funest sleds I have ever ridden. Jumped it lots and dropped a bunch of cliffs and even rode it on the motocross track in blue ridge and had no complaints with the suspension. Wish I still had it as a ditch banger sled cause thats where it shined. Rode in the mountains a few times and deffinitely a dog in the hills and deep powder but very flickable once you figure it out:d

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one for the wife last year and she loves it. The sitting position is what makes it feel tippy, it's like riding a dirt bike so if she can handle a bike she'd have no problems with the phazer.

It does have a fun factor to it.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it depends so much on your riding style, my wife didnt like her mtn but her sister loves hers.... the harder you ride them the better they are kind of dirt bike feel if you, younger aggressive riders love them. i have one with a turbo and its a blast.... best is to try one... we still sell them....:d:d:d

IMO the best upgrade for handling on any Yamaha sled is a set of Simmons
skis....i little wider than stock...but concave with twin carbides on the outsides so there is no darting... and they are easier to handle.. The tippy is a reality, they sit quite high and you are perched higher on the seat so you have to be paying attention thats for sure.... But dont give up to soon guys
they are a great sled...i watched a vid of Randy Swenson. ....eating up a some big bore sleds with his turbo phazer.... they are fun in the deep powder
but like all sleds in deep powder you can get stuck.... so be realistic...

There are deals out there for sure as the riding style is quite different than a conventional sled as would jumping on any newer forward rider position brand would be...

thats my 4 cents....lol

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I went and took an 07 for a rip. I had a blast. The gf rides a 07 honda crf 250r so if it handles like a bike great it has a wider set of skis on it already. Only thing I don't like is it weighs as much as mine lol. I snuck to her work and tried to sneak it into her truck. Damn near launched it into her back window and managed to set her car alarm off. She came down and freaked and the tears rolled. Mission accomplished. I can't wait to take it down the ditch. All I can say is it needs an exhaust fast! Thanks for the info and pm's

Rodzilla

Reaction score
I put a set of Simmons GenII (10' wide) skis on my wife's Phazer and that helped with the tippyness quite a bit.

It wasn't tippy in the front, when we were heading up to the cabin at Frisby it seemed like it was tipping at the track on corners. I was watching from behind. I also took it for a burn and it seemed ok when riding but thats when I noticed that those Simmins GenII were hard as crap to steer. I can sit on my XP and dry steer my skis side to side with a gentle lean from side to side, NOT her skis on the Phazer, brutal. She wont be riding that much pow to need huge skis, and front suspension seems stiff and still has a sway bar so should be OK. I can see why her shoulders were sore.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It wasn't tippy in the front, when we were heading up to the cabin at Frisby it seemed like it was tipping at the track on corners. I was watching from behind. I also took it for a burn and it seemed ok when riding but thats when I noticed that those Simmins GenII were hard as crap to steer. I can sit on my XP and dry steer my skis side to side with a gentle lean from side to side, NOT her skis on the Phazer, brutal. She wont be riding that much pow to need huge skis, and front suspension seems stiff and still has a sway bar so should be OK. I can see why her shoulders were sore.

Yah, the Gen II are definitely not easy on the arms, but my wife was a lot more comfortable on the sled after I put them on. More stable in the turns and a lot less darting on hard pack. My wife thought the improvement was so good she started to like driving the Phazer over my sled. Even with stock ski's I find the Phazer is a heavy steer.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a lot of the other guys said - they are a fun little sled, you gotta ride it like a dirtbike, can't just sit on it all day, the CG is too high to be a trail sled IMO, it needs heavier springs in the front also to counteract the excessive body roll.

One girl that I ride with has one and she loves it, I have ridden it a bit and once you figure it out, they are a fun little sled.

They don't have the power of an 800, but you can still climb with them. They are not a deep powder sled - they are a beginner sled, they will not hang with an 800 in 3 ft of powder - but that's because they were not designed to. If your expectations are what the sled was designed for, then you won't be dissappointed.

I attached a photo of a couple runs we took on it one day - I did the line on the right between the trees and she did the line on the left - not the longest or steepest hill around I know but I am 225 lbs and it was not my sled and spring snow so I was taking it easy. She is about 5 ft and 100 lbs and she absolutely flew up the line on the left. It made the little pull to the right just fine with me on it and still was doing about 25 mph at the top. They are little goats, in set up snow conditions - they just keep climbing.

Attachments

• phazer runs.jpg
    phazer runs.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 68

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So we went out to her parents acreage out by spruce. No much snow but enough to putz around. She loves it. Little scared on the uneven ground but after a few hours she started to find throttle is her friend. Peppy little bugger for a 500. I just find its a little heavy to steer on the hard stuff. Oh well, her feet are wet and she likes it so a year with this thing and maybe get her on a summit :d

ridndirty

Reaction score
About her wet feet, get her some waterproof boots. The way Yamaha did the tunnel with the holes to cool the exhaust, water constantly runs down the sides of the tunnel, onto your pants and boots. By the end of the day she will be soaked. Best up grade I did for my Phazer was a Klim suit and boots.

Top Bottom