07 grizz 700 running not to good

bowhunter

Reaction score
I have a 07 grizzly 700 with a little over 3200km on it and its not used very often now. I had it out on the weekend hunting and the during the short 1.5km trip from the truck to the stand, it didnt run very well. If i let off on the throttle at all it would sputter then just die and have a tough time starting again. Once it would start again there would be a good cloud of grey to black smoke then just a steady light grey smoke coming out the pipe while driving or if it managed to keep idiling. What could this possibly be? Its had all the maintenance required at the right times yamaha calls for. The quad is totally stock. Thanks alot for any help on this.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have a 07 grizzly 700 with a little over 3200km on it and its not used very often now. I had it out on the weekend hunting and the during the short 1.5km trip from the truck to the stand, it didnt run very well. If i let off on the throttle at all it would sputter then just die and have a tough time starting again. Once it would start again there would be a good cloud of grey to black smoke then just a steady light grey smoke coming out the pipe while driving or if it managed to keep idiling. What could this possibly be? Its had all the maintenance required at the right times yamaha calls for. The quad is totally stock. Thanks alot for any help on this.

Have you checked the air filter,,sounds like shes running rich.Maybe it is plugged or something is in there,,,Mouse nest maybe ,,it is that time of year

depthcharger

Reaction score
Possibly TPS(Throttle position sensor) is pooched....my 07 Grizzly did the same thing. Dealer replaced and all good. Wasn't cheap though, couple hundred if I remember correctly.

Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine was the TPS also and the air box sensor too 385 bucks altogether but it wouldn't idle for S$@&! it was over fueling bad.

bowhunter

Reaction score
Oh okay. How will do ya figure out if this is the problem then? i dont really want to take it back to the dealer for the repairs though. I want to do everything myself and save the money on their crazy shop rate. What would cause it to smoke then? Too much fuel? And the exhaust tip is black black! Looks like its a diesel now!

depthcharger

Reaction score
Not a big job for the shop....thus not much labour. Its the sensor that is expensive. Buy the sensor and do it yourself if you want. Sounds like this is exactly the problem. Mine would barley run, and it burnt gas like crazy when I had to limp it back to the truck from the trail.

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simple solution maybe.... If it hasnt been used much lately, Could you have gas that has gone stale? Try draining the fuel and putting fresh gas in it and see what happens.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it could be the valves need adjusting, my friends would had a hard time to start and smoked did the valve adjustment and now runs great good luck.

Top Bottom