06 rev. Good Machine?

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys looking at maybe getting a 06 rev summit x. was wondering if ya huys could throw me a little feedback on the machines. its got 3400km's so curious if these sleds were solid. Only herd great things about the machines so was hoping ppl can tell me if there were any problems. Or are the 06's the best revs? Thanks guys:d:beer:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 06 in my opinion was the most solid rev built. At 3400km i would look at top end soon. 00-05 800's had ring problems and it was fixed in 06. I would also check for play in the front end A-am bushings and spindle bushings, probably fine but thats something to have a look at. You will not be disappointed with the 06.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I rebuilt my 04 renegade X 800 HO at 5000 km's and it was still well within specs. I even took pics of the pistons and bore. It was very nice. But, I always ran the synthetic oil, let her warm up properly all the time and took care of it. This was in the days of the fabled internet hype ring flaking issue. I took pics of the rings too......
Check the compression when warm and you should have 100-110 psi and be within 5% of each other..... Or, re-build the top end.....its easy and only costs $350. The 06 was a good sled and so was any other rev for that matter.....it depends on the nut behind the bar.....

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Last edited:

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The owner is a S&M member. he only ran the good stuff and he says he got the top end checked out and it was solid so ill compression test it and see how she looks. its an amazingly clean and sharp machine. and with the suspention when shoulf that be checked cause ya it was a mountain and laker machine.

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 06 in my opinion was the most solid rev built. At 3400km i would look at top end soon. 00-05 800's had ring problems and it was fixed in 06. I would also check for play in the front end A-am bushings and spindle bushings, probably fine but thats something to have a look at. You will not be disappointed with the 06.

You can look at the a arm and spindle bushings, it may tell you how well the sled has been maintained.
The bushings don't cost a whole lot and changing them out is something most can doo, so I wouldn't walk away because of worn bushings although if the spindle is worn it costs around $300 for a pair.

I have rode my 06x for the last three seasons, 11000km I can hardly remember when my sled had 3400km. With you looking at the x model you have the option to recharge you shocks, you can rebuild them too but I have had good luck recharging and it is under $100 for the front two.

With 3400km you are in the "grey zone" lots of opinons out there, here is mine if everything looks good and you like what you see in the compression test I would put on another 1500km then do the top end.
I took mine up to 6300km before I rebuilt but I was pushin my luck, when it got rebuilt a put a crank in it as well as some porting and a head. May have been able to skip the crank but when its snowin I want to ride not wrench.

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya im going to see the sled asap and ill give ya guys feedback. so when i walk up to this thing from front to back what should a look at. First time buyer on a new machine like this. But thanks guys for the help. Hope i take her home.:)

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Ya im going to see the sled asap and ill give ya guys feedback. so when i walk up to this thing from front to back what should a look at. First time buyer on a new machine like this. But thanks guys for the help. Hope i take her home.:)

If you have never owned a sled before or don't know what to look for, I would take someone with you who does.....

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got 5500 miles on mine the thing just keeps going very solid machine.
blew the motor to pieces a season ago but i think that was due to way to much nos. put a brand new motor in it, i just don't have anything bad to say about this machine. FLAWLESS

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya im taking a family member that owns an 06. its out of town so ya im going to look to buy i dont want to make the trip a second time :) and ya i hear the 07 were problems but the 06 was an awesome ride.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
04/05 have carb boots problems. (flakes)
04 - 06 get lock washers for the y-pipe bolts
move the ECM (havent done that yet) snow melts onto the ECM

all minor of course.... good tracks, stock clutching isnt bad but can always be improved

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys ok so one good question i hope ya guys can clear up for me. the summit X is what im looking at. what is the difference between the X and the other ones? i wasnt aware there there so many :p

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 06 the" X " model; alumimum shock that are recharge/rebuildable, mountain bars with riser, 440 race seat, roller secondary and a small tail light.
All of these things are realy nice up grades!

Non X model; clicker non rebuild shocks, rev bars, big old seat, button secondary and a monster rack/tail light.

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks dude! i was so confused about it. was there anything about the engine that was different cause i was comparing on this one site and it said there was a engine difference?

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Thanks dude! i was so confused about it. was there anything about the engine that was different cause i was comparing on this one site and it said there was a engine difference?

06's and earlier had the 800 H.O. engines while the 07 and newer got the 800R engines. The 800R has bigger jugs for more fuel around the cylinders, cooling, etc. They are all called Powertek from 06 and on but the 07's were the start of the new style 800R engines that make more power at higher revs. Ho's run at 7900 rpm vs 8150 for the 800R.

charty

Reaction score
i have an 06 x great machine just took the motor out of it at 3k mostly my fault. put a dynamo joe clutch kit in, remove elect start and all other parts you do not need, carbon fibre reeds, dynaprt pipe and can, 30 hp nos, minimum 159 inch run it at 8k rpm and piss off xp`s all day long. put a short block in at the end of last year and it was unreal.

Top Bottom