06 duramax

f7sp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking at buying an 06 duramax which comes with 6 speed.This truck appears to have the lly engine instead of the lbz, going by the vin. I assumed all of the 2006 trucks came with the newer engine, and also assumed all of the lly engines came with a 5 speed Allison. Will this lly be as good as the lbz? Truck has about 180,000 Km's on it.

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the LLY in that year is a detuned LBZ so your getting the LBZ motor just not the 360hp you get the 310hp.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking at buying an 06 duramax which comes with 6 speed.This truck appears to have the lly engine instead of the lbz, going by the vin. I assumed all of the 2006 trucks came with the newer engine, and also assumed all of the lly engines came with a 5 speed Allison. Will this lly be as good as the lbz? Truck has about 180,000 Km's on it.

I had them both in 06, a 5 speed with the LLY, and a 6 speed with the LBZ. You will find GM also put out a 6 speed with the LLY in 06 also. I had no issues with either one of mine, but the LBZ had a little more power and was about 10 - 15% better on fuel.

f7sp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I might hold off and wait for something else. My friend has a ton of LBZ aftermarket parts that won't work with this truck

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I think I might hold off and wait for something else. My friend has a ton of LBZ aftermarket parts that won't work with this truck
The 06' LLY is an LBZ, it just has a different tune. Early 06' production trucks were labeled as an LLY. The second half of production in 06' they saw the new tune and named them the LBZ.

if if you buy anything for an 06' LLY, your buying it for an LBZ.

take me a tune from a 06 LBZ, throw it on that 06 LLY, and now you have an LBZ.

The he motor is exactly the same, every nut and bolt. The transmission is exactly the same, everything on that truck is an LBZ except the tune.

well almost everything, the badge on the door is the same as the LLY, which I like better, black and red.

actualt forget I said all that and give me all those aftermarket parts, you won't need them right :rolleyes: haha my truck has pretty much everything on it except dual cp3, injectors and compound turbos.

Last edited:

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 06' LLY is an LBZ, it just has a different tune. Early 06' production trucks were labeled as an LLY. The second half of production in 06' they saw the new tune and named them the LBZ.

if if you buy anything for an 06' LLY, your buying it for an LBZ.

take me a tune from a 06 LBZ, throw it on that 06 LLY, and now you have an LBZ.

The he motor is exactly the same, every nut and bolt. The transmission is exactly the same, everything on that truck is an LBZ except the tune.

well almost everything, the badge on the door is the same as the LLY, which I like better, black and red.

actualt forget I said all that and give me all those aftermarket parts, you won't need them right :rolleyes: haha my truck has pretty much everything on it except dual cp3, injectors and compound turbos.

Nailed it. Had an '06 LLY and it was a great truck. Sold it to my pops and it runs like a top.

Top Bottom