05 Summit RT1000 151 cooling

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:confused:My summit runs cold but runs good and pulls hard my local Doo dealer said to do a thermostat from an XP. What will I gain? Will my engine last longer, pull harder, better on fuel? He wants $300.00 to do it. My dealer could not tell me just it is a good idea to do.:confused::confused::confused:

highlandrider

Reaction score
:confused:My summit runs cold but runs good and pulls hard my local Doo dealer said to do a thermostat from an XP. What will I gain? Will my engine last longer, pull harder, better on fuel? He wants $300.00 to do it. My dealer could not tell me just it is a good idea to do.:confused::confused::confused:

Installed a thermostat in mine for $50 and a half hour of time, but spent part of a day getting the parts together. (3/4" and 5/8" heater hose, XP thermostat and 1"x 3/4" T-fitting and a plug for 5/8" hose) Did it to prevent cold siezures and to prevent the engine from running rich. When the coolant is cold the engine runs rich. If you noticed, when in the powder you leave a black trail out of the exhaust, since I put the thermostat in I don't see the black smoking trail behind me anymore. It also seems to have a more responsive throttle. There is some great info about it on dootalk.com, in both the rev mountain sled and mach z forums.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should, But I just want to know if a thermostat is a good idea or not. Don't you work for Doo so tell me Mr Doo.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what about the rear cooler will the removal of this help the temp problem??? the sled went 4600km with out any problems before should I worry about the temp???

highlandrider

Reaction score
I have not rode much since the install, but on the few short trips a few things I noticed is
no more black smoke in the powder
snappier throttle response
after riding just the trail and shutting off the machine- if you start it shortly after shutting it off, the overtemp warning beeps (the heat stays in the engine apparently)

If you just ride trails I would probably not put one in, but I like the powder myself. I have cold siezed an engine once by riding hard pack and then jumping into the powder (snapped the skirts off the piston).

I installed my thermostat for my peace of mind. I think the engine should run at a constant temp and anyway you can do this it helps.

The other options are partially covering the cooler (the one under the seat), or shortening it.

One thing to think of, why did the 07 800s so bad? Was it because they had no thermostat?

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we ride mostly powder in the pinepass I don't have a rich condition I get good fuel mileage. I just run cold on the temp gauge, On a hill I will get temp if I run the sled hard. I just need more heat..

freakshow12

Reaction score
you dont need more heat. many have found by running t stat you will put it into limp mode. let it run cold on the guage and if its not stuck in warm up loop leave it alone. a few guys have tricked the coolant sensor with a resistor but I have not done this or have had the need too. a few guys that have done the t stat I know have blown up. you dont want to have to buy parts for this thing. I also forgot to add that the pcm runs on a loop with the coolant temp as a variable, if you raise the temp it will pull timing to compensate and as a result it will slow down. I figured this out while testing some 1000' setups last yr.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think I will leave it alone for now the sled runs cold on the temp gauge but performs good. No black smoke ever.

freakshow12

Reaction score
the black smoke is often a sign that your e raves are out of whack or your low pressure pump is on its way out. the ay I have dealt with mine is if its running good dont mess with it LOL. I have alot of bolt ons but it was always running right before I started modding.

Top Bottom