'04 Engine advice

Rev It!

Reaction score
After reading some threads on this site I decided it was time to check a few things out on my '04 800 summit. I removed the exhaust and Y-pipe as well as the carbs and reeds and took a few pics. I heard this was a bad year for pistons and rings and was wondering if I should replace them since I am half way there. The sled has 2000 KMS on it and the compression on both cylinders is in the 125-130 range. I am replacing one of the reed boots for obvious reasons...

Attachments

• Boot.JPG
    Boot.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Piston Skirt Mag.JPG
    Piston Skirt Mag.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Piston Skirt PTO.JPG
    Piston Skirt PTO.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Exhaust Mag.JPG
    Exhaust Mag.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 40

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should replace the entire reed set up. V-force 3 work really good. Also replace the pistons and rings, i'm pretty sure those black spots on the rings are where they are starting to pit. I had the same marks on my stock rings at 2800km. I put in Rk tek dual ring pistons and that fresh top end made the sled feel brand new again.

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same sled with 5400 km and pistons/rings are still original. Runs well. Buddy has an '05 with close to 8000 km and is still original also.

xpsledneck

Reaction score
wow you guys are pushing the limits with thoes sleds. had an 02 with 2400 on it and took out the engine. asked the dealer and he said that that was normal time to freshen the engine. was a 1000 dollar heli ride out for that sled.

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow you guys are pushing the limits with thoes sleds. had an 02 with 2400 on it and took out the engine. asked the dealer and he said that that was normal time to freshen the engine. was a 1000 dollar heli ride out for that sled.

That sounds way too early to me. Had a good buddy that put on up to 10,000 km a year and never freshened an engine unless it failed of course. He also had a new machine every year.:d

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pistons look great. Get some new rings and run 'em.....the rings are definately flaking. Put new carb boots on. I wouldn't waste the $$$ on V-Force....very low gains for the dollars spent.

Top Bottom