03 ZX Electrical Problems

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Christmas day I was out riding on my 03 Zx Summit 600HO (electric start) and the fuse (20amp) burnt out on the circuit for the tach., speedo and handle bar warmers. Thought this was a little strange, changed out the fuse everything worked fine. Was out again on Saturday (Jan 9) same thing happened again I changed out the fuse and ran the rest of the day with Handle Bar and Thumb warmer turned off. After we stopped for lunch went to start the sled it would not start checked all the fuses everthing looked okay, tried to start the sled it started and ran fine the rest of the day. Was out yesterday everthing ran fine for the first hour then the sled just died on the trail. Checked the same fuse and it was burnt out, replaced it but engine would not start. Checked for spark - none, checked electrical connections everything seemed fine tried starting again no luck but the fuse burnt out again while trying to start. Long story short I had to get pulled out to the nearest road. I am baffled by this one, either I have a serious short some wear in the electrical system or the electronic box is shot ? Any ideas out there on what the problem could possibly be? Looks like a trip to the dealer.

Thanks,

Billy Boy:cool:

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Start tracing wires. Sounds like you have a short. If there was a problem with the box, chances are you would burn out every fuse the second you put a new one in. Sounds like you are popping fuses when the wires touch normally during movement. Start by checking your wiring harnesses for wear. These are the easiest to spot.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a short, the service tech traced it to the solinod on the eletric starter system (there was a wire shorting out) but here is the kicker it fried the electronic box. So for about $ 700.00 and change I get to have a new electronic box installed:( This can be an expensive pass time.

Billy Boy:cool:

Top Bottom