03 yamaha grizzly clutch question

grizwaldo

Reaction score
Lookin for some help.... I recently had an EPI clutch kit installed on my 660. It ran great for about a month or so and then last Saturday, when the grizz starts, it starts tough, like the clutch is engaging on a start up. When it starts in neutral and placed in any gear... it kills instantly. Like when you place a manual drive vehicle in gear without using the clutch and no gas pedal acceleration. Anyhooters; I called EPI and the gal there told me that the one way bearing is most likely bad or going bad and that it would cause this to happen. I tore it apart and got down to the primary clutch cover and it will not come off of the wet clutch so i plugged the oil seal and removed it; removed the snap ring and the aluminum cover came off; but the other "steel cover" is still stuck tighter than a bullz ass at fly time. I read a post from major here awhile ago and he said he had something similar happen to his rig because of improper torqueing of the lock nut to the wet clutch. I did verify from the installer that he did torque this nut to factory spec. Any darn idea what my prob could be? :mad:

Adrenaline Vince

Reaction score
Does sound like either the oneway brging piled up or mabey a spring or 2 on the clutch came off and piled stuff up. Either way it has to come out. I doubt its from wrong torque on the nut, pull it out or if your not sure take it to a good shop. Sounds like to me that Joe mechanic didnt do something right. The one way brg genaraly doesnt just pile up for no reason. If the clutch doent pull out, my guess is something came loose and wedged between the shoe and housing. Does have to come out so good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The nut on Majors quad backed right off and piled up against the aluminum cover and locked it all in place. once you get the cover off 2 heel bars and buddy with 2 heel bars was how we finally got his cover off took some time to get it off without breaking anything. Then he went to the machine shop and got the shaft rethreaded. It was quite the ordeal only days before a big trip.

Top Bottom