03 KX250 having problems

restrickted

Reaction score
Hello,
I just bought an 03 KX 250, all stock, and at first it worked beautifully.
Now im having a few problems, and wanted opinions before I rip it apart.
What its currently doing:
-The clutch doesnt seem to dis-engage ever, eventhough theres pressure on the clutch lever. When the lever is pulled in, it does release a little, but the tire still drags. I checked the clutch basket and everything seems normal, and I just put new tranny oil in it.
-It doesnt want to start. About 2 weeks ago, it was fouling out alot, so I bought a new spark plug and re-jetted the carb (the guy at Mid America said to turn the carb needle all the way to the right, then 2.5 turns to the left. I did that, and it worked great, but now its not working again. This time, it isnt fouling out. I checked my reeds as well, and they are good to go.

And another thing that istn really a problem, but just an annoyance:
when it was running, after it warmed up, if I came to a stop while holding my clutch in, it would stall after about a second. Ive never owned a two stroke before this one, so im not sure if thats normal or not, and if theres anything I can do to change that. If not, so be it, but its quite annoying.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just bought an 03 KX 250, all stock, and at first it worked beautifully.
Now im having a few problems, and wanted opinions before I rip it apart.
What its currently doing:
-The clutch doesnt seem to dis-engage ever, eventhough theres pressure on the clutch lever. When the lever is pulled in, it does release a little, but the tire still drags. I checked the clutch basket and everything seems normal, and I just put new tranny oil in it.
-It doesnt want to start. About 2 weeks ago, it was fouling out alot, so I bought a new spark plug and re-jetted the carb (the guy at Mid America said to turn the carb needle all the way to the right, then 2.5 turns to the left. I did that, and it worked great, but now its not working again. This time, it isnt fouling out. I checked my reeds as well, and they are good to go.

And another thing that istn really a problem, but just an annoyance:
when it was running, after it warmed up, if I came to a stop while holding my clutch in, it would stall after about a second. Ive never owned a two stroke before this one, so im not sure if thats normal or not, and if theres anything I can do to change that. If not, so be it, but its quite annoying.

in my opinion it sound like your clutch bable is streched. for the starting issue's make sure you have a clean air filter. what oil to gas ratio are you running? in my 125 I ran 40:1. what jetting are you running? and the stalling it seems your clutch isnt pulled in fully so the motor has truble idaling.

restrickted

Reaction score
in my opinion it sound like your clutch bable is streched. for the starting issue's make sure you have a clean air filter. what oil to gas ratio are you running? in my 125 I ran 40:1. what jetting are you running? and the stalling it seems your clutch isnt pulled in fully so the motor has truble idaling.

Ill pull that off tomorrow then and take a look. And that was one of the first things I checked. It had a little dirt in it, but not very much. All my other bikes start and they have more dirt.
Im running the stock ratio, 32:1. Is that too lean, or too rich?
And what do you mean by what jetting? (As I said, my first 2 stroke. My four strokes diddnt have that problem)

The clutch was pulling in, due to when it was choked and warming up, I could stop and the engine would idle, but as soon as it was warmed up and un-choked, thats when it diddnt idle.

And I just pulled the spark plug to let it dry, and after doing that (but before I put the plug back in), I shut off my fuel and kicked it a few times to clear out the chamber. Then when I put the plug back in and try to restart it, on the first or second kick I get backfire, and then it fouls again.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in my opinion 32:1 is to rich for that bike. 40:1 would be safe im sure but check with your dealer. use good 2 stroke oil as well not cheep crap. hows the compression?

ghglenn

Reaction score
What type of oil did the previous run in the bike. If you do not know, you need to flush the carb out, drain the tank, clean it with gas, clean the petcock, etc. Changing from one pre-mix to another can "gum up" the carb and cause lots of problems...they just don't blend well together. As Andre stated, I would replace the clutch cable first thing. Then see if there is still an issue. Chances are, the previous owner didn't ever replace it, on a 7 y.o. bike.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ill pull that off tomorrow then and take a look. And that was one of the first things I checked. It had a little dirt in it, but not very much. All my other bikes start and they have more dirt.
Im running the stock ratio, 32:1. Is that too lean, or too rich?
And what do you mean by what jetting? (As I said, my first 2 stroke. My four strokes diddnt have that problem)

The clutch was pulling in, due to when it was choked and warming up, I could stop and the engine would idle, but as soon as it was warmed up and un-choked, thats when it diddnt idle.

And I just pulled the spark plug to let it dry, and after doing that (but before I put the plug back in), I shut off my fuel and kicked it a few times to clear out the chamber. Then when I put the plug back in and try to restart it, on the first or second kick I get backfire, and then it fouls again.

jetting is the size of jets in your carb. if your fouling plugz it could be a number of things. but the main thing is your too rich. I would recomend 40:1 with motul oil. when you rev your bike does it smoke lots? does it spit oil? the way you can tell if you have the right jetting/oil mixture is ride your bike in 1st gear full throttel. keep her pinned for about 3 seconds then hit your kill switch. take your plug out, if your plug is golden brown you oil/jetting is good. if your plug is black your too ritch and if your plug is gray/white your way too lean.

Top Bottom