03 800 running rough

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wifes 800 runs like chit at idle. makes a little banging noise as well. if you ride ithard it goes like stink. but just after you stop to let it idle it starts messin around again. runs great when you are hard on the throttle though and noe noise when you first start idling. could it be the attack system fuggin up and flooding it at idle causing a miss and thus causing the banging noise because it not firing properly and only on one cylinder?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was this the first ride of the season? may have gung in pilot jet system.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was this the first ride of the season? may have gung in pilot jet system.

first couple rides. have no idea of history on this unit as it was bought in summer at an auction. got it cheap enough if i have to i could put a brand new engine in it and still recoup my money if i sold after.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well sounds like you have some wiggle room, do a compression test on motor, maybe pull heads, take a look at cylinders, sounds like carb related but it never hurts to check out everything so you know what you got. you could put a bottle of carb cleaner in gas and take it for a long ride. redline carb cleaner works good $12/ bottle. may be a cheap easy fix.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well sounds like you have some wiggle room, do a compression test on motor, maybe pull heads, take a look at cylinders, sounds like carb related but it never hurts to check out everything so you know what you got. you could put a bottle of carb cleaner in gas and take it for a long ride. redline carb cleaner works good $12/ bottle. may be a cheap easy fix.

i checked comp when we got it home it was even both sides and up at like 150 or so if i remember right. sounds like the nois is coming from the water pump area goin to get a stethoscope and try and pin point it better.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
compression #'s are good, you'll have to start checking. still for my money without seeing or hearing, i'd still be looking at carbs.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so pulled off the air box the one carb was kinda dirty so will clean up and see whats up. cannot locate where exactly the rattle is coming from. used a piece of heater hose and searched around the engine. bottom end, top end, water pump, recoil. only place there was a bit of noise was at the water pump. bottom end was silent. which i hope is a good thing. gonna ride it till it gets worse or blows. at least then i will know what it was. seems to be getting less though as the engine starts to run better.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe i wil ride it for a couple days over the holidays and let the wifey ride mine. seems like it ate alot of gas and oil as well over a 1/4 tank of fuel and probably 250ml or more of oil gone in the resovoir. and only 19km on the odometer.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe i wil ride it for a couple days over the holidays and let the wifey ride mine. seems like it ate alot of gas and oil as well over a 1/4 tank of fuel and probably 250ml or more of oil gone in the resovoir. and only 19km on the odometer.

You would just like to find an excuse to ride a Poo LOL!

Hope it is nothing to worry about... we will have to get out and I can have a listen to it...

Taylzee

Reaction score
I hope this isn't what I think it is!
Open the hood and grab the primary clutch. See if you have any wiggle. These motors are famous for snapping cranks if they are stock. I had one with the exact same symptoms. Only heard it at an idle. Everything else seemed ok...including compression. It turned out that the PTO end broke off the crank but the fracture line had a real zig zag to it that kept the clutch spinning. We ended up putting an indy speacialties bottom end in it. Not cheap but the only real fix as far as I'm concerned. Lots of guys went to the big bearing but there were failures with that too! It is a poorly designed bottom end...specifically the PTO end of the crank.

Good luck and I hope it's not the problem!

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Firing one one cylinder is odd....both plugs fire at the same time, change your plugs. The rattle on the mag side could just be wear on the oil pump connection (tab A - into slot B), they do tend to get sloppy over time, can make some noise, but rarely fail.
I would deffinately check the crank run out on it for piece of mind. Don't mean to scare you, but the mag side bearings failed just as offten as the pto side.
It wasn't truely the bearings......it is weak cases, and the huge torque these motors produce, the bearings tend to "egg shape" the case over time causing the failures

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah I know they have a weak bottopm end. Heard that lots.

No kidding these units make some nice power. Pulls your arms off when you grab a handful of throttle

Rode the bag off it for a bit tonight seems to be getting better maybe a slightly plugged jet or something. I hope it isn't the crank. It has no movement anywhere however does have a small knock sound when you rock the crank back and forth in just the right spot. But that's normal isn't it?

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have two options here. Keep baggin it until it guts itself, or tear it down and inspect it. It probably has a pitted crank bearing from sitting.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like you got it cheap enough to run it and see what happens. My self, I run a Indy Specialties bottom end, his line bore, re-do on the oil galleries and bearings can't be beat.......oh, and a 5 yr warranty on the billet pto end and pins can't be beat.

Have fun straightening your elbows, and for Petes sake put a teather on it. Saves you a few dollars when it bucks ya off climbing.....hahahahahaha

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd tear that engine down and have a look at the crank before it goes and takes everything out including your case. Could be a simple bearing replacement now or a whole engine in 3 months time. just my II cents

PowderSlayer

Reaction score
check your gilatinie valves, they are alluminum and are recommended to be changed to steele. if the alluminum broke off it could or would have done some damage, my wifes sled we just bought is in the shop for tht issue and the one on the mag side mushroomed the port. Good ride to you and ur family and merry xmas

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal. Ran a tank of fuel through this unit. Was idling better but still rough imo. Had a guy coming from red deer to buy this unit. Ran it opened hood this rhing is pounding hard now wtf. So called the guy and to tell him don't come. Ripped engine apart found piston slap big time on pto side. Took cyls to mots and had them honed. Tom figured snow dusting along with burning coolant caused it as skirt was really thin. Called a few guys looking for pistons as mots couldn't find for me. Both mm and specialty told me not to waste my money on aftermarket and go genuine polaris as the aftermarkets like to drop their skirts. So got er all back together and pulled rthe cord tonight runs nice now no miss no knockey sounds pulls pretty good maybe go foer a rip tomorrow morning and see how she does. Thanks for all the ideas though.

Oh yeah measured crank runout at 0.002" and both rods had 0.010" or so of clearance on the sides looked really good.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal. Ran a tank of fuel through this unit. Was idling better but still rough imo. Had a guy coming from red deer to buy this unit. Ran it opened hood this rhing is pounding hard now wtf. So called the guy and to tell him don't come. Ripped engine apart found piston slap big time on pto side. Took cyls to mots and had them honed. Tom figured snow dusting along with burning coolant caused it as skirt was really thin. Called a few guys looking for pistons as mots couldn't find for me. Both mm and specialty told me not to waste my money on aftermarket and go genuine polaris as the aftermarkets like to drop their skirts. So got er all back together and pulled rthe cord tonight runs nice now no miss no knockey sounds pulls pretty good maybe go foer a rip tomorrow morning and see how she does. Thanks for all the ideas though.

Oh yeah measured crank runout at 0.002" and both rods had 0.010" or so of clearance on the sides looked really good.

Sounds good man, we are going for a ride to Jackpine on Sunday with the kids, let us know if you want to join...

Top Bottom