02 800 xc sp cdi

taggart

Reaction score
I'm looking for some one who has a 02 xc sp 800 with electronic reverse to take a pic of their cdi box, looking for a number and to compaire the main plug on the box. I have an 800 engine that I think has electronic reverse, there's no numbers on the block and no sticker on the recoil, the jug numbers are for a 01-02 xc 800. My cdi box that came with the engine has the plug for the electronic reverse. I'm trying to see if the cdi matches the engine, and or if some one has changed the cdi and the jugs. Any help would be greatly apriciated.
Thanks

taggart

Reaction score
just found out that the one I got with this engine is from a 03 600 classic touring, do 600's and 800's have different CDI's? Is there a timing change?

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told a few years ago to not run my 600 CDI box on my 700 because they run a different advance curve and it could damage the 700. They all run different settings from what I have found out.

taggart

Reaction score
I talked to a guy this weekend about it and he said that it was a comon mod because of the different advance curve. He said it would give you a more useable power curve. I don't know, I'm new to these 800's. One thing though is this 800 has unreal throtel responce. It would be nice to talk to someone who's done this before, and see what kind of engine life they got out of it.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 02's and 03's are way different CDI's (29.5deg) is the timing curve for the 02's. Your buddy is right about the mod but he has it backwards. Everyone was sticking the 02's CDI on the newer sleds as polaris towned down the curve from 03-05. The 02' CDI is rare and hard to find...perhaps the preveous owners CDI went and he didn't know he needed the 02 specific CDI for the 800? I'd be really looking into this...is your sled an 02' for sure? Check the VIN # and get the data from your local shop, they should be able to tell you where and who purchased the sled, and start from their.

taggart

Reaction score
Well I think I know what it is now, the engine top end is a 02 xc 800, and the bottom end is either and 03 or an 02 with a perc kit. I think it has a PERC kit because of the wierd cdi # and the 02 xc jugs, it dose have the 18 deg fly wheel as well. I checked the timing and at 3200 it's at 29 deg so? I also found out that polaris used any cdi's for the perc kits and just reprogramed them, so I think that's what I have.

Top Bottom