02 700 summit reeds

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have a 02 700 summit, notice the stock reed block rubber is looking a little funny. rubber looks like it is melting( soft and runny looking) they are not cracked or flaking etc. my feeling is replace, but what with, thinking boysen. any thoughts, or put the stock reeds back in as they look fine.

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could they be worn enough where air would leak through?? Thats what would scare me. I might have an extra set at home off an 06 rev. I'll check and get back to you. They should fit and are collecting dust.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm also thinking boysen, the stock cages don't appear to be leaking, just look a little softin the rubber sealing area. thinking they are to soft. my wallet says make do, but my head( experience) says toss and get new.

thanks papillion but reed valves won't fit. need valves from 01 to 03 700 or an 800 (zx style chasis).

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not sure if the HO uses differant reeds or not. i can check.

but

if you have a problem with reed boots like a small leak it will take out your motor haha which is more than 300! usaully anyways LOL

Reaction score
i got a 01 summit and had the same problem , took those out and put boyesen rad valves in 460 bucks when eveything was done but there will be no more leaking or melting so its worth it and you get more throttle response

bbrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap

Reaction score
ya that was everything,
reeds 375 and then an hour labour
and alot more peace of mind not having to worry about blowin my moter

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i'm thinking peace of mind, never know when the old reed block rubber will let go.

Reaction score
if you have a hole in your boot , i wouldn't even ride it untill you fix it 460 bucks for rad valves and then you eliminate this problem forever , or don't fix it and blow a motor and spend 5 times as much...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
boots are good just looking at the rubber on the reed housing it's self. no cracks or breaks just looks very soft and squishy. haven't had any problems so far but you never know.

Top Bottom