Any good riding areas close to christina lake ?

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got an opportunity to live there rent free for the winter... Before I jump all over it and miss out on rutherford and brandywine for most of the season I want to make sure there is decent riding areas within an hour or two of christina lake .. that area is new to me.

I knew red mountain is close by, but that's about it.

cheers

ps. I will read through this forum now that I know it's here :) I would also like to meet up with some locals when I get there !!

I'm hoping to find good sledding and sled skiing areas

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of good riding within a short distance there is all the areas up by castlegar wich is in tons of movies! nelson area lots of good riding to be had i would jump all over that offer

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ditto on Castlegar, lots a sledding and beauty areas with a fun local sled club. Crazy Kanadian lives near in Rossland and hes often riding and knows oodles of terrain.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sweet, thanks .. getting pretty stoked !

just have to find a hottub for the house in christina lake now and we'll be all set :)

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got an opportunity to live there rent free for the winter... Before I jump all over it and miss out on rutherford and brandywine for most of the season I want to make sure there is decent riding areas within an hour or two of christina lake .. that area is new to me.

I knew red mountain is close by, but that's about it.

cheers

ps. I will read through this forum now that I know it's here :) I would also like to meet up with some locals when I get there !!

I'm hoping to find good sledding and sled skiing areas

I'll be riding in GF just after Xmas, you should hookup with our group, and we will show you some back country riding at it's finest for that area. The Gable Bowls are pretty sweet, and there's the passcreek, that area has great riding when the snow is good, there is also the GFSA cabin up passcreek as well. What type of rider are you? How old are you? How long have you been sledding?,and lastly what are you running for sled. Just asking cuz there is various riding spots some geared for the experienced and then beginner!!! GF rocks for sledding, as well there is the Paulson area just outside of Christina Lake, there's an area there called the DOG, and is a blast to ride..... I grew up in GF, lived there for nearly 18 yrs :) Hit me back with a PM and we can chat about it if ya want. I'll get ya stoked on it for sure lol

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey macronut .. Thanks for stoking the stoke!!

It'll be my second year riding and I got a 05' rev 800 144 track. My buddy just bought an 07 rev 800 159 track and it'll be his first time on a sled this year .. that huge track of his should help him from getting stuck too much :)

I'm 30 and my buddy is 28 I think

He's never been on a sled, so he's still keen on finding backcountry lines he can snowboard on.. I keep telling him that he'll being up his board 3 times then it'll just stay at home.. he'll figure it out sooner or later

It would be nice to find areas to ghost ride the sleds though !

I'll shoot you a pm .. cheers

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might want to change tracks for riding here, 151/154 minimum for getting around has been my expirience.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah .. i've been thkinking about that .. i'll see if i can find a good deal on a 154 with extenders ..

144 is bare minimum, there a guy who rides the new phazer with us up the north fork and he has no issues, he also is experienced in the hill so that helps too. I had a 136 track up there a few years back and could go anywhere, just couldn't climb with the guys is all!

Pillowydrops

Reaction score
Vancouver, BC (Christina Lake this Winter)
Hey macronut .. Thanks for stoking the stoke!!

It'll be my second year riding and I got a 05' rev 800 144 track. My buddy just bought an 07 rev 800 159 track and it'll be his first time on a sled this year .. that huge track of his should help him from getting stuck too much :)

I'm 30 and my buddy is 28 I think

He's never been on a sled, so he's still keen on finding backcountry lines he can snowboard on.. I keep telling him that he'll being up his board 3 times then it'll just stay at home.. he'll figure it out sooner or later

It would be nice to find areas to ghost ride the sleds though !

I'll shoot you a pm .. cheers

That newbie he's talking about is me (busted on the snowboard comments;))

Super stoked to get out there with you guys though. Been going to Christina Lake for as long as I can remember, but I can't wait to experience the backcountry properly!

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey there, please dont be discouraged by my comments on track length, I forget that I ride into some hairy deep untracked places and cant with out a decent track. also if your riding two up for snow board drops the longer track rules. theres lots a peeps out of the nelson area that are big into sledding and snow boarding. theres always letting the biggest sled punch in the first tracks for your access. ps theres a fair bit of snow coming down this week around 6000 ft level :)

Pillowydrops

Reaction score
The more I think about it, I'm glad to be getting the long track. I'm definitely happy to help by taking the fresh tracks ;) I just have to learn how to sled first!

Unbelievably excited that the snow is falling already, can't wait for winter :)

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it, I'm glad to be getting the long track. I'm definitely happy to help by taking the fresh tracks ;) I just have to learn how to sled first!

Unbelievably excited that the snow is falling already, can't wait for winter :)

We love having newbie sledders with Us. We can show you stuff as long as your willing to learn. Not rolling your sled is usually incentive enough to learn lol...

Wow! Salmo is starting to shape up for snow, Paulson looks pretty sketchy yet

Pillowydrops

Reaction score

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Christina Lake has a club, so does Grand Forks. I grew up in Grand Forks, and now live in Castlegar... Moved for the steep and deep. Personally I would make the trip over to Castlegar. Great for beginners and experienced riders like the Krazy Canadian. Groomed trails, and warming cabins stocked with firewood and barbeques. Just make sure you join a local club... I can get you in touch with any of them when you decide which one(s) you will be riding at. :d

PS
If you plan on going off the trails I'd suggest a longer track for the Kootenays :)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
144" track will be just fine, you'll need a little more throttle in some areas but the 800 will pull it along good enough. You won't be the highest mark on the hill, but if you don't care...then who cares.

Ride it like you stole it and you'll be fine, the moister snow in the area will let you climb just about anything once its set up. There might be a couple spots or weeks out of all the riding that you will get stuck in or have a harder time, but try it out first and then go longer if you need. The snow is a good mix of the wet coastal with dry stuff, definitely not the dry dry dry powder like on the eastern ranges of the rockies or the heavy snow you would see on the coast. Once it has a base you will be good to go.

The Christina club has a nice cabin up the Paulson, and there is lots of good riding in the area, north fork, etc etc.

Pillowydrops

Reaction score
Christina Lake has a club, so does Grand Forks. I grew up in Grand Forks, and now live in Castlegar... Moved for the steep and deep. Personally I would make the trip over to Castlegar. Great for beginners and experienced riders like the Krazy Canadian. Groomed trails, and warming cabins stocked with firewood and barbeques. Just make sure you join a local club... I can get you in touch with any of them when you decide which one(s) you will be riding at. :d

PS
If you plan on going off the trails I'd suggest a longer track for the Kootenays :)

Awesome, thanks for the tips! My guess is we'll probably join the Christina Lake and Castelgar club. Heard lots of good things about Castelgar, and Christina Lake is right on our doorstep so it'll be good to have options. Certainly not ruling anything out at this point :)

ps. picking up my sled today - the stoke level just keeps getting higher!

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the tips! My guess is we'll probably join the Christina Lake and Castelgar club. Heard lots of good things about Castelgar, and Christina Lake is right on our doorstep so it'll be good to have options. Certainly not ruling anything out at this point :)

ps. picking up my sled today - the stoke level just keeps getting higher!

Cool! Make sure you check out Bulldog if you're riding up the Poulson... Mt. Faith is quite a long trail ride out, but worth it if you're riding that area and need a steep terrain fix.

Enjoy your new ride!!! See you in Castlegar!!!!

Top Bottom