Polaris Winches

ezrider

Reaction score
I have an 08 Polaris 800EFI with the factory 2500lb Polaris winch...this thing has caused me more grief than you can imagine...anyone else having issues with their Polaris winches?? Mine will just work when it feels like it...in or out, doesnt matter - it will work coming in, but then a split second later you go to bring it in a little more - it doesn't work....but it will wind out...then all of a sudden, it will wind in again...the reverse happens as well where sometimes it will work going out but then just stops working until it is ready....WTF?? :confused:

ezrider

Reaction score
That would make sense....I figured it had to be something to do with electrical...too spuratic for mechanical issue I would think....

Th:cool:anks man!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I have 5 polaris winches in my 2009 rental fleet and every single one of them have done the same thing. On most of them its been the solenoid and wiring but I have also had the motor go in two of them... Constantly muckin around with them...JUNK... I ended up pulling all the winches off the rental fleet of polaris' because it seemed like I was fixing one almost every day. I have had no issues with the Honda or Can-Am, winches ... good luck

ezrider

Reaction score
Well...that brings me to my next point then....what now?? When you replaced the solenoids did you still have issues with those ones? What did you replace the Polaris winches with (if anything)? Can you pull the winch out and swap for a WARN or is the wiring/solenoid etc set up different? I suppose it doesn't matter - once you have gone that far you might as well replace everything if you have to....:confused:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Warn makes the polaris winch... Warn makes all factory ATV winches I believe. Its just the mounting hardware and the winch model thats brand specific. I'm pretty sure polaris uses the cheapest winch they can get away with from Warn. You can swap it out with another model as long as the mounting hardware matches up to the winch. One of the biggest problems with the polaris winch solenoid is where they mounted it under the front fender. It collects mud and grime and it is almost impossible to get a wash wand in there to clean it. The wires corrode. A whole crappy set up if you ask me.

ezrider

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I've been hearing that Warn makes pretty much all the winches but each manufacturer (Polaris, Honda, etc) select the model they want in their machines. The other problem I see with the way that Polaris mounts their winches is how the heck do you get the damn thing out?? I have not taken a close look but upon just checking it out I thought WTF...how could I even get this thing out of there without dismantling the whole front end of the body.....

Also, I broke the free spool feature on mine too....nice and cheap that was....went to switch it to free spool , and with the cm of room you have I managed to move the switch up ands then snap...now the free spool switch/lever, whatever...free spools too!!!

Could a guy not relocate the solenoid into the "trunk" on the front of the Polaris machines? I know it is not a perfact seal either but it's gotta be better than under the fender....

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
The best way to remove the winch is to first take off the front end/bumper. I don't see any reason why a guy couldn't relocate the solenoid as long as you keep the wire as short as possible. I've broke the free spool before on one of my quads. Its a fairly easy $35 fix but you have to replace the whole end cap because as far as I know they don't sell that part separate. Heres a link of the warn parts needed in case you don't already have it.

Warn Industries - Replacement Parts

doctor paradiddle

Reaction score
I have a sportsman 500 with the 2500lb winch and i am having the same type of problem with it that you are having. I took it back to the dealer to have it checked . They said they periodically tried it all day and it did not act up.After I brought it home it still acts up. I really dont want to drag it back over there for maby nothing. As for taking it off all i had to do is take 4 bolts off the front end and the whole plastic piece with the headlights comes right off,giving you access to the winch.

ezrider

Reaction score
Thanks Doc...man - you would think that spending thousands of dollars with these guys that they would put on some decent equipment...especially a winch....kind of important. The thing that makes me wonder is that this is the first Non-Honda product I have owned, all the rest of my quads have been Honda and they all had winches....I NEVER ONCE had a problem with any of those winches.....

honda680manitoba

Reaction score
my brother has a yamaha warn winch and nothing but bad luck. 1st one the gears shattered just pulling another quad out of mud 2nd one the winch line would go out but not in. now he is on his 3rd one and it extremely loud when he uses it

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If warn winches have a permanent magnet motor I would go with a Viper winch their elite seires have 1/4" synthetic rope v.s. standard 3/16" at a VERY reasonable price

Little Buddy

Reaction score
Warn used to make the Polaris winch. Since 2007 they have been puting a Polaris sticker on a Chinese winch. Might as well save some $ & buy that one with out the sticker on it, then you can afford a spare or 3.:(

Top Bottom