Sled Decks and Slip Tanks

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who's using a slip tank under a sled deck ?
Looking to use a small slip tank under a Marathon sled deck, maybe 30ish gallon, looking for feedback on set-ups etc. What is legal in AB and BC?
Going into 3/4 ton Duramax.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it just has to be securly fastened, but if you plan on plumbing a line into you main tank it needs to be certified to be legal.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a larger tank that fits in the stock location? I'm running the Titan 52 gal and it's pretty sweet.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I think it just has to be securly fastened, but if you plan on plumbing a line into you main tank it needs to be certified to be legal.

Ive got a 200litre tank under deck.I was told you needed electric valve with lighted switch to be legal but no one can see its there so?????????????

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm running a custom 100gal in my truck,so i can use it for work and sledding,also going to buila a 60 gal to fit to haul my vp fuel. :)

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Act Regulations

In August 2002, the federal government, in cooperation with the provinces, enacted the revised Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Act. The Act was implemented in response to concerns about safety to the public, workers and road-users.

The new Act has many ramifications for all industries that require the transportation of fuel, including gasoline and diesel. The most prominent industries are road building, mining, oil and gas, and forestry.

The key element of the TDG Act is the required specifications. The Act specifies that any fuel delivered or transported must use a Transport Canada standardized slip tank (IBC) (means of containment) that has been certified by the Canadian General Standards Board and manufactured by an ISO certified company.

For more information go to www.tc.tdg.ca or ISO - International Organization for Standardization

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Now, the biggest factor against whether you can even put a slip tank in your vehicle will be insurance..... My wife used to work in the insurance industry. Most guys with slip tanks have never checked with their insurance company and don't even realize that there is "no" insurance coverage if they are in an accident and the insurance company finds out they have a slip tank(of any size). If anyone has ever checked with the insurance companies, they might find this to be a "huge problem"..... I would check with the insurance company 1St and foremost about coverage if putting a slip tank in, before i even proceeded worrying about anything else.... I'd sure want insurance on my truck and sleds and deck when driving in the winter!!!! Let us know what becomes of this.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
everything will be fine until you get caught. The fines and no insurance costs will be staggering. He-- you are carrying a bomb under your deck, trying to save $5.00 on a tank of gas. My lawyer would like you to hit my truck, I could retire.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my truck is for my company use,and is insured for hauling fuel.
But any tank under 100 gal is to be considered an addition to the vehicle for it's own consumption.thats what you tell them anyways,not as delivery to other consumers or equipment.
not only that ,i believe the rules still state that if you have a spill it must be at least 100 gal, so anything under 100 gal you do not have to report and also you do not have to travel on dgr or truck route's only.So stay under 100 gal.I would like to see the fine print or english version on these rules if anybody has them handy.Because i never had any conflict with D.O.T's on these maters,im not saying im 100% sure though..:d

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
everything will be fine until you get caught. The fines and no insurance costs will be staggering. He-- you are carrying a bomb under your deck, trying to save $5.00 on a tank of gas. My lawyer would like you to hit my truck, I could retire.

most guys are doing it for diesel, which is no problem as it is not a combustible liquid, gas on the other hand has a whole different set of rules.

DIK BTR

Reaction score

your a tit imdoon!! id love to drive right into you with my 400L tank full

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ran a set up like this i modded the deck so the top of the l tank stuck through the deck ran 1.5x4tubing across the tank with rubber on it and that was the front support for the deck along with turnbuckles used it for a few yrs untill we bought a toyhauler with no issues hauling rhino/grizzly and a chinese kids quad in box of rhino so i dont think you will be loaded any heavier than that the down side is losing ramp length but if u have a retractable ramp it shouldnt be an issue sorry no pics

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as for the ins hauling fuel just talk to your ins agent i haul fuel in my tank and there were no issues when i talked to my ins co but better check just to be safe

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ran a set up like this i modded the deck so the top of the l tank stuck through the deck ran 1.5x4tubing across the tank with rubber on it and that was the front support for the deck along with turnbuckles used it for a few yrs untill we bought a toyhauler with no issues hauling rhino/grizzly and a chinese kids quad in box of rhino so i dont think you will be loaded any heavier than that the down side is losing ramp length but if u have a retractable ramp it shouldnt be an issue sorry no pics

Ya that would work too, I was thinking the legs would sit beside the L and the headache rack would just bud up to the fuel tank and i would just have to leave my tailgate down all the time which i fine by me. Anybody think this would work???

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I work in the oilfield and i haul diesel all the time 320L of it everyday. I have commercal insurance that covers me to haul only diesel though!!!!! So it is not about saving 5 buck on a tank for me my comany fills it up 320L FREE that is a trip to the mountain and back FREE diesel!!!! That is way we do this and it is not a bomb if it is diesel!!!!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the province of BC the 3 key items are the fuel container must be certified, it must be secured as instructed and your vehicle must have the proper placards on it.

The main reason they give for this is so that emergency personel know what they are up against if your are in an accident.

Here is a link to the regulations in BC, its 46 friggen pages long!

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a tank being built now, its 48" X 24" X 12". It will fit between the wheel wells, in front of my 5th wheel hitch (summer) and under a sled deck for winter. The tank will be approx 225 liters. I am going to plumb it into the stock tank. I'll throw up a pic when done. What are you guys doing for plumbing into stock tank for gravity feed?

AA

Top Bottom