2009 Diamond Drive question

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 M1000 , at about 500k the diamond drive sh!t the bed. No big deal it was under warranty. They put a brand new one in and that was that. I have around 2200k on this unit know and this fall I changed and flushed the oil. Prior to this change I had know issues , now it seams that the oil is "seeping" out of the drive???? I can smell the gear oil when I do a hard run. Is there a fix for this or does someone know what the issue is? Thanks for any help and advice.

J

Jeff K

Reaction score
Where is it leaking/seeping from?

If you over filled it, oil will come out of the input shaft hole as that is the vent for the DD.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like it's leaking from behind the secondary , please explain in a little more detail where the vent is? I put in the small and medium containers. What the dealer told me.

Thanks J

Jeff K

Reaction score
The vent is the hole that the bolt holding the secondary threads into (on the end of the input shaft). It is normal to have a small amount of oil come out that hole if the DD was over filled or the sled as on its side for a long time.

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
Better check the seals dude. Could be bearings again, I heard they don't last past 1000 kms. That's what my Cat buddy told me. He's doin his.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have over 5000km on mine and all original internal parts. I just change the oil every year, and no issues.

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
I have over 5000km on mine and all original internal parts. I just change the oil every year, and no issues.

Like I said, my cat buddy told me. He may have gotten his info from Arctic chat. Glengine what oil do you use in your DD? I'm sure i read somewhere that the cat DD oil is questionable.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The vent is the hole that the bolt holding the secondary threads into (on the end of the input shaft). It is normal to have a small amount of oil come out that hole if the DD was over filled or the sled as on its side for a long time.

x2 on this..........

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here is the million dollar question , how much oil should be in there and what should I do about it?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said, my cat buddy told me. He may have gotten his info from Arctic chat. Glengine what oil do you use in your DD? I'm sure i read somewhere that the cat DD oil is questionable.

I use spectro full synthetic chaincase oil.

Jeff K

Reaction score
15 oz of oil on the 09+ DD's.

Just clean it up and keep an eye on it. If it continues to seep oil, then drain some.

dozer

Reaction score
my spec. sheet for 09 m1000 says 12oz. for d.d. oil. thats what ive been using for 3000 miles no issues yet. should i be using more, whats everyone think it does not run out fill hole with 12 oz in it

turbofarmer

Reaction score
no the 2009 s take 15 oz., and yes there is a bearing issue. It's the inner bearing from the power shaft. Factory there is a single row deep groove bearing, I believe it's a 6203. Can be replaced with a 5203 bearing which is a double row thrust bearing. The single row bearing can't take the side load. I've replaced three this year and all were not good shape! It's a $30 bearing and about a 2 hour job. All m's from 2009 to present have this cheap bearing, can save an expensive DD seeing that most 2009's and some 2010's are coming off warranty.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to bring this back up , the bearing I need to replace , do I goto a bearing place ( IE Commercial) and ask for a 5203 bearing? I am going to replace it this year , just because .

Bails

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the 07's have this cheap bearing too? I change DD oil every year, but should a guy take apart the DD and replace the bearings anyways, just as preventative measures?

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bunch of us need to change our DD bearings.
From what I've read, change out the 6203 bearing with a 4203 bearing. (and not the 5203 bearing that will require you to do some machining)
The higher the number, the wider the bearing. Use a higher quality bearing like SKF.
The bearing might be aka 4203-2RS.
Here is a link of what you might look for. (I'm looking in Edmonton for a place that carries it)

I'm still digging out info for my 09 M8.
good luck.

Top Bottom