Bruderheim ATV Area - Perminent Closure, with out your feed back - See Govt Website

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HI All

I've just been notified that Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation will be
proceeding with public consultation to redesignate the North Bruderheim
Natural Area and Redwater Natural Area in Sturgeon County as Provincial
Recreation Areas AND to add approximately 261 hectares of public land to the
North Bruderheim Natural Area and approximately 380 hectares to the Redwater
Natural Area to assist with managing off-highway vehicle use.

The notification will be posted on the Alberta Parks website tomorrow with
on-line consultation taking place for 60 days (August 27 - October 25).

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Read this,
In order to balance conservation and recreation opportunities in Lamont and Sturgeon counties, the North Bruderheim site would be managed with conservation and non-motorized recreational use as top priorities. With support from Lamont County, the site would no longer allow off-highway vehicle use.

So we need some feedback here in the survey, again there working on closing everywhere.

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you HONESTLY BLAME THEM!!! Have you seen the condition of the trails. Lets put big tire ripping monster tires on our machines go out and rip the crap out of the public trails while it's muddy. Call it fun and brag/post what real Selfish people we are and wine about closures!!

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Do you HONESTLY BLAME THEM!!! Have you seen the condition of the trails. Lets put big tire ripping monster tires on our machines go out and rip the crap out of the public trails while it's muddy. Call it fun and brag/post what real Selfish people we are and wine about closures!!

You hit the nail right on the head. I don't like riding with people that spend all their time in the mud holes, ripping the sh*t out of them. I don't think that is what real quadding is all about. Some of these areas are so abused by people with big tires and bigger egos that it takes the joy out of trail riding when you constantly have to go off the trail just to go around these huge ruts and deep holes, which is also no good for the trails because they get wider, but we don't like getting stuck and winching, we want to put the miles on. I don't mind muddy trails , they are fun, but when they are all torn up it is not fun or pretty anymore.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
like maclean creek.....been there once and will never go back,,,spent so much time trying to go around the holes,hardly put on any miles at all

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You hit the nail right on the head. I don't like riding with people that spend all their time in the mud holes, ripping the sh*t out of them. I don't think that is what real quadding is all about. Some of these areas are so abused by people with big tires and bigger egos that it takes the joy out of trail riding when you constantly have to go off the trail just to go around these huge ruts and deep holes, which is also no good for the trails because they get wider, but we don't like getting stuck and winching, we want to put the miles on. I don't mind muddy trails , they are fun, but when they are all torn up it is not fun or pretty anymore.

It's pretty unavoidable, because the majority of the population rides quads and tear the chit out of the trails (not saying that all quadders do this), I'm finding it more and more difficult to ride a dirt bike anywhere anymore becuase of this..sure, I can easily ride around the big mud holes, but it's not really enjoyable on a bike when u have to stop, slow down, and maneouver your away around a mud pit every 2 minutes. I'm not trying to bash quadders here, i'm sure dirt bikes play their role some way, but I'd have to say not nearly as much as quads, 4 x 4s, etc.. it's really not surprising that these places are going to be shut down. You wanna know what else really bothers me? I went random camping and riding in Caroline on the the Sept long weekend, right next to Clearwater river.. and you know how many people i saw rip thier big quads and side by sides up and down and across that river every day? Just to wash them off and play and show off? It was disgusting... common people, our rivers aren't car washes or playgrounds for machines...the mud and dirt may not be a huge deal, but surely the chemicals and fluids like oil, coolant, etc whatever comes out of or off your machine into the water...like do you not know how much wildlife, and even people rely on that water? Smarten up! Its people like you that ruin it for everyone:mad:..

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:realmad:It use to be one bad rider for every 1000 riders, now I am thinking its a 50/50 shot.:rant: Make it a long weekend with alcohol and those stats {purely unofficial by my observation} shoot up to 80%:realmad:.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
.....because the majority of the population rides quads and tear the chit out of the trails (not saying that all quadders do this), I'm finding it more and more difficult to ride a dirt bike anywhere anymore becuase of this..sure, I can easily ride around the big mud holes, but it's not really enjoyable on a bike when u have to stop, slow down, and maneouver your away around a mud pit every 2 minutes....

Note: My comment isn't necessarily about Bruderheim, just areas in general.

That's why single track trails are so sweet for bikes. No big mud holes bogged out and nice flow, fun climbs, lots of traction and logs to hop. You can ride for an hour and not have to stop.

It's just too bad when quads get sick of their bogged out trails and come ruin our single track.

Not saying all quadders are pushing into the single track trails, but some guys are doing it.

Also, not saying the quad guys are doing it on purpose either, some people are new to the sport and don't know how much work goes into trail building, and how much quads can ruin a trail that was cut and shaped for a dirt bike.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See I don't always like the tight, single track areas, just because of my experience level, etc, sometimes too dicey for me, I prefer something a little more open... I really enjoy areas around Rocky, Caroline, etc but they are getting pretty rutted out too. Thankfully, there is usually a trail that goes around these huge rutted out mud holes that quads continue to make worse.....

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We need to be cognizant of this issue as we had peoples doing just this exact thing at the S&M Jamboree this year after the official ride was completed. My sons and I were astounded as to what we saw, and they both commented as to "that's how we loose our areas to ride" . We can all have fun if we do it in moderation and we won't all be painted with the same brush. WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to quote "WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!! " unquote

so if everyone is complaining about trails being shut down, being torn up and not fun to ride... how about some ideas on how we can change things. i do not quad, so i have no idea on what the trails are like anywhere, but i have read most complaints about garbage being left behind and rutted trails. i know that some ppl do quad trail cleanups, but what else can be done? i am wondering if it would be possible if ppl bought trail passes for quadding, just like you do for sledding.

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to quote "WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!! " unquote

so if everyone is complaining about trails being shut down, being torn up and not fun to ride... how about some ideas on how we can change things. i do not quad, so i have no idea on what the trails are like anywhere, but i have read most complaints about garbage being left behind and rutted trails. i know that some ppl do quad trail cleanups, but what else can be done? i am wondering if it would be possible if ppl bought trail passes for quadding, just like you do for sledding.

Let's start by being responsible. If we all acted responsibly then we wouldn't require any further action which is usually a detriment to the actvity. (ie: trail passes, trail closures, etc.) Just my opinion.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree...the only cure is to really act and ride responsibly, unfortunately, buying trail passes and such isn't going to fix the problem of people leaving garbage, or quadders tearing up the trails with there new big mudder tires and ruin the trails so more people get stuck and keep making it worse, or any other person acting irresponsible on the trails or using thier machine for uses that are not friendly to the environment that cause closures which ruin it for everyone.... unfortunately, as much as we all try to pass this message along and complain, until all these areas are closed for good..your still going to see the occasional idiots leaving beer cans and garbage and starting fires, etc and i'm sure all the joe blows with thier new big mudzilla tires on their quads can't wait to just tear into some mud holes and purposely get stuck just to see how well they work..... yeah, i get it.. your big tires are cool and help chew through the mud and skeg, but its this act that is contributing to the problem too... and like this can realy be helped? There's nothing that anyone can say to stop people from playing in the mud holes, or rivers, etc, and everywhere I go i STILL see garbage left everywhere so really what can be done? I wish I had ideas, but I dont.. the only thing I can do is be responsible for myself and my actions when I am riding...and I do.

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry i didnt read all posts. Read far enough and tired of this:

Quads are bad, quads are evil, its all the quads fault..........:nono:

I run a sport quad. I stay the hell out of mudholes (sheela is a princess that doesnt care for it) that i watch bikes and 4x4 quads tearing the hell out of trying to get through. I watch bikes "doing hare-scrambles" i think they are called. Blazing through tight areas through trees and not always the used path but making new ones with more technical lines to run. We are all at fault in some way so instead of whining and moaning do something. We go around our site on the last day and pick up any garbage etc that we can find and dispose of it and majority of the time it isnt ours but stuff does get blown so we make sure to find that stuff. We see something on the trail we pick it up and dispose of it(Not always easy on a sport quad or the gfs bike). Sitting here putting the blame on big tires and quads wont do anything. Get out and try to do your part in keeping riding alive by being responsible and realize that where you are riding is a privilege not a right.

So come on and be nice to people with bad knees that cant ride a bike :d

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not pointing the finger to quadders ONLY, and never once did I say so.. I said its everyone that is using their machines irresponsibly.. Machines meaning ALL of them. Sure, I used big tires on quads as a good example becuase this is the MAJORITY of what causes huge ruts and mud holes...not bikes. but as iv'e stated previously, I know that some bikers can wreak havoc too. It is only my opinion that is mostly quadders & 4x4's that ruin most of the land and leave most of the garbage, being that they are mostly 4x4's, they get stuck and create huge ruts, and they also able to pack in a lot more garbage than bikes.. again I am only using this as one example...I know there are many to be blamed out there on any kind of machine. I'm not complaining really, I do my part, I'm just simply stating what i see and give my opinion on it.. not much else I can do. being on a bike, I can't really pick up other ppls garbage because I have no where to store it on a bike..otherwise I would..but I also dont pack in any garbage so I do my part that way.. I don't tear up the trails, I go through mud holes only when i absolutely have to but I find anyway around it if I possibly can and avoid it at all costs... I avoid riding in high traffic areas, places where there are huge mud holes and ruts just because its not enjoyable to ride anymore, but there's nothing I can do about that, and there's nothing more than what I already do thats going to help prevent some of these places from getting shut down.. luckily, I dont ride bruderhiem area so I could care less if it gets shut down or not..I travel hours out of town to do most of my riding or I ride the local tracks... but hey, I sure do hope with all the threats of closing down these areas, people will really start to smarten up so people will still have places to ride and as long as everyone starts doin there part....hope for the best.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
hikers blame horseback riders...horeseback riders blame bikers....bikers blame quadders.......Quadders blame the Jeeps & trucks...etc etc.etc.

All the following statements are gross generalizations...but are accepted as the common stereotypes...

Bikes.... often drive too fast & agressive for conditions (blind hills corners etc..) not much damage to environment but often VERY loud.

Sport quads.... basically the same as the bikes just wider.

4x4 quads.... Tend to travel at slower speeds but do more environmental damage, in stock form the damage is often minimal and can recover over the winter HOWEVER bigger is better right??? 30" 32" etc...rip up the main trails and force bikes, sports & stockers to find alternate routes, the deeper the ruts the longer rejuvination takes...

SxS's.... wider on the trails, wider in the corners and when a path around is required it also must be wider, also being lifted with 32"+ tires and weigh more than the quads = deeper rutting and gaining in popularity.

Trucks & Jeeps... not much worse than many of the tweeked quads or SxS in my opinion...

Funny how everyone is so eager to one up it... th bikers say them damn quadders, stay off our trails, the quadders say don't you dare bring your jeeps & trucks on our trails etc.....

I quad once a year now at the jamboree.. HHA is to crowded, rutted and just not as much fun, each time I go out there it looks worse and worse, it's only a matter of time. the mods to the machines do not help our cause but the most relivent factor is sheer #'s our rider population has increased exponentially....

what is the solution??????

phucked if I know, buy a bunch of land I guess.......

impulsednytro

Reaction score
That is really unfortunate, but with the traffic, what do you expect??????? honestly you people on here blame the big quads with big tires and certain types that..."wear more" on other trails than others....Bruderheim on a warm weekend can have thousands of quads through there on a nice day, i live in Sturgeon and go to bruderheim weekly in the summer. With the right rain, and weather conditions, trail wear is impossible to stop, even with your stock 4x4's and stock tires, they rip up the ground. Go to vega, you will see trail wear, whoops for 20 km....in my eyes, bruderheim is not even in that bad of shape, and they sure did not close the trails just on the fact that the ruts are too deep and hard to ride the trails, there is other environmental factors as well.
And also, i think the trails are really smooth in bruderheim compared to other areas, if you want groomed trails, BUY LAND AND BUY A PACKER, then you will ride dirt highways all day long... and when you rut them up from turning too sharp with your stock quad you can pack it some more, hey even fill in holes. until then, enjoy rutted trails......Because it is only going to get worse....and i know that.

depthcharger

Reaction score
Here is the fact people....If Bruderheim's riding area location was never ever mentioned on this website there would have never been a problem.
I cant count the times I read posts about where to ride close to Edmonton, and the responses as to where it is located. Like was said in another reply, bottom line is.... to many people riding there. I understand people want a place close to ride but advertising any riding area(close to Edmonton or not) on these websites just dooms the area.
I never ever advertise where I ride and dont plan on starting. Selfish? maybe.
How can you tell I grew up in Bruderheim?lol

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
......but the most relivent factor is sheer #'s our rider population has increased exponentially....

That part is bang on! Thousands more riders, and everyone new just buys the baddest machine and puts it to the handle as soon as they get out there (just like winter time!). There's very little education on sustainability and responsibility.

On top of it all, everyone can try and ride as light as possible, but if we keep growing in numbers and the riding areas keep getting shut down, it means WAY too many people in small areas and things are going to get trashed, no matter what or how you ride.

One more very important thing......
No matter what you ride/drive (they're all fun as hell) don't bog/rip/tear/wheelie/donut/brakestand/lay-a-strip RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE ROAD/STAGING AREA!!!!! The ones that complain and take pictures RARELY HAVE TO LEAVE THE PARKING LOT to get incriminating photos.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hikers blame horseback riders...horeseback riders blame bikers....bikers blame quadders.......Quadders blame the Jeeps & trucks...etc etc.etc.

All the following statements are gross generalizations...but are accepted as the common stereotypes...

Bikes.... often drive too fast & agressive for conditions (blind hills corners etc..) not much damage to environment but often VERY loud.

Sport quads.... basically the same as the bikes just wider.

4x4 quads.... Tend to travel at slower speeds but do more environmental damage, in stock form the damage is often minimal and can recover over the winter HOWEVER bigger is better right??? 30" 32" etc...rip up the main trails and force bikes, sports & stockers to find alternate routes, the deeper the ruts the longer rejuvination takes...

SxS's.... wider on the trails, wider in the corners and when a path around is required it also must be wider, also being lifted with 32"+ tires and weigh more than the quads = deeper rutting and gaining in popularity.

Trucks & Jeeps... not much worse than many of the tweeked quads or SxS in my opinion...

Funny how everyone is so eager to one up it... th bikers say them damn quadders, stay off our trails, the quadders say don't you dare bring your jeeps & trucks on our trails etc.....

I quad once a year now at the jamboree.. HHA is to crowded, rutted and just not as much fun, each time I go out there it looks worse and worse, it's only a matter of time. the mods to the machines do not help our cause but the most relivent factor is sheer #'s our rider population has increased exponentially....

what is the solution??????

phucked if I know, buy a bunch of land I guess.......

Well said .... and exactly what I said before... what can you do??? Nothing...too many people enjoy ATVing, and like Bog said, the amount of machines and riders are only going to keep increasing...thus increasing the amount of garbage and environmental damage left behind ....leading to closures. And how exactly do you stop people from enjoying a sport they love? You can't. So we're all to blame in some aspect, and I personally, can't blame anyone for wanting to shut areas down... but that's just me. I hardly ride anymore either, I avoid the high traffic local areas and I either travel hours out of town to ride a larger, less busy area or I force myself to go to a track, so I can atleast ride.. because most of the local trails are just becomming less and less enjoyable......for me, anyway.

:rolleyes:

Top Bottom