ZR200 on its first ride with the kids

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience with this new machine with all the dads out there looking for something for the kids to ride. We got a ZR200 this fall and finally had a chance to get out for a day. Overall we are very happy with the unit. Here are my observations:
- ergonomics are pretty good for kids 6-11yrs old of average build. Only suggestion is to make the steering a bit more vertical as it will get in the way of a good lean once the kids learn how to do that.
- Motor has decent power for newbies and with the real clutch it can actually travel down the trail fast enough so that I am not overheating my 800 from a lack of snow on the cooler. This is a very important feature for me.
- No odometer on these units but I would guess we were just under 20km for the day all said and we burned 1/4 tank so range is looking to be very good.
- hand warmers are a God send as it was really cold and they helped keep them a bit warmer - not hot like newer full size but good enough.
- tether, which is not installed from factory, is a must. No issues on the first day but I can see one of the kids forgetting to lean in or getting bucked off on a off camber piece of trail or a bump. Learned a trick about putting it on the wrist if the kids snowsuits dont have a loop which worked well.

Overall, a very satisfied but also scared as we were told that Cat might be going one step further and coming out with a 300 next year and after just one day riding my kids are asking if we are going to upgrade next year - what have a I started lol.

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is about time they have sleds that can be used for little ones and can go off driveway, lol 120 to small and 350+ to big. So sweet 200 and seen some at quartz cabin with kids.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed, the 300-400cc machines might be ok next year once the kids get some experience on this unit. It definitely fills that gap and lets the kids figure things out a bit on a safer machine that is still pretty darn capable. Already making plans to run this unit at both the Calgary and Crowsnow Poker runs in the next month after I install the high vis flag.

dano30

Reaction score
It is about time they have sleds that can be used for little ones and can go off driveway, lol 120 to small and 350+ to big. So sweet 200 and seen some at quartz cabin with kids.

I bought the Yamaha 200cc and my kid is 9, light build, and I clocked him at 47kmh. Very good on fuel. I wish they would have came out with a 250 or 300 right off the bat. But I’m sure these little toys will hold their value like the 120’s did.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw the video of the guys riding out at quartz. where did you get your snoscoot out Dano

dano30

Reaction score
I saw the video of the guys riding out at quartz. where did you get your snoscoot out Dano

I live in Slave Lake, alb. Purchased it from our new dealer here, Slave Lake Motorsports. Replacing the Yamaha dealer that never re opened since the 2011 forest fire.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the Fernie snowmobile club is doing a family ride this coming Saturday up Coal Creek with a free lunch at the rolling hills cabin. Great riding area for all groups.
Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience with this new machine with all the dads out there looking for something for the kids to ride. We got a ZR200 this fall and finally had a chance to get out for a day. Overall we are very happy with the unit. Here are my observations:
- ergonomics are pretty good for kids 6-11yrs old of average build. Only suggestion is to make the steering a bit more vertical as it will get in the way of a good lean once the kids learn how to do that.
- Motor has decent power for newbies and with the real clutch it can actually travel down the trail fast enough so that I am not overheating my 800 from a lack of snow on the cooler. This is a very important feature for me.
- No odometer on these units but I would guess we were just under 20km for the day all said and we burned 1/4 tank so range is looking to be very good.
- hand warmers are a God send as it was really cold and they helped keep them a bit warmer - not hot like newer full size but good enough.
- tether, which is not installed from factory, is a must. No issues on the first day but I can see one of the kids forgetting to lean in or getting bucked off on a off camber piece of trail or a bump. Learned a trick about putting it on the wrist if the kids snowsuits dont have a loop which worked well.

Overall, a very satisfied but also scared as we were told that Cat might be going one step further and coming out with a 300 next year and after just one day riding my kids are asking if we are going to upgrade next year - what have a I started lol. [video]https://www.facebook.com/100003130861375/videos/pcb.2041830439264632/2041827599264916/?type=3&theater[/url]
[video]https://www.facebook.com/100003130861375/videos/pcb.2041830439264632/2041826372598372/?type=3&theater[/url]

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the Fernie snowmobile club is doing a family ride this coming Saturday up Coal Creek with a free lunch at the rolling hills cabin. Great riding area for all groups.

I heard the trail in was pretty thin after they finished logging. Are things looking a bit better now? What are the trail fees this year?
Thanks,

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the Yamaha 200cc and my kid is 9, light build, and I clocked him at 47kmh. Very good on fuel. I wish they would have came out with a 250 or 300 right off the bat. But I’m sure these little toys will hold their value like the 120’s did.

Had the Yammie 200 out today.
Impressive little sled.
Decent suspension for kids and a definatly step up from the 20.
If a 300 comes out a stronger chassis may be needed or it will really rip in this one.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks cool . Can they go off trail?

They can do a bit of off trail stuff with a track that is 93 inches long and a 1 inch lug supporting 200 lbs of machine. That said, you would really have to keep the throttle on as the track speed is never above 50km and would suffer greatly under loose snow conditions. I also noticed even in the 8 inches of snow the kids were kicking up a lot of snow from the skis - not much for flotation there. Would need Dad to break trail for anything more aggressive. Hoping to get some 'testing' done this season to validate all these assumptions. :d

dano30

Reaction score
cb54a0ee7cf01e9dbfc1a57d86088ba9.jpg

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks cool . Can they go off trail?

Today's riders on the sled was about 60 pounds in about 6" snow.
No problems.
Just not enough snow at farm for a real test but by lug height and track length on ground I do not see an issue.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another day out with the kids on the ZR200. This little unit is doing exactly what it is supposed to do - making the kids comfortable riding and learning new skills. My kids are already wanting to go faster which to me means success as the bigger machines would have just scared them silly and turned them off. Really hoping for a 300 next year from cat/yamaha for that next step up. If not we will definitely play some more on this. about 40km on this trip - used about 1/3 of a tanks of gas. Trails were mostly groomed or packed but lots of fresh on the sides that we all played in. Tested the climbing ability on a trail that I wish I had my phone out for - sled got half way up, slowed down a ton, started to dig and then slowly moved up and started to crest the hill. Very impressed. IMG_20180101_141211468_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another day out with the kids on the ZR200. This little unit is doing exactly what it is supposed to do - making the kids comfortable riding and learning new skills. My kids are already wanting to go faster which to me means success as the bigger machines would have just scared them silly and turned them off. Really hoping for a 300 next year from cat/yamaha for that next step up. If not we will definitely play some more on this. about 40km on this trip - used about 1/3 of a tanks of gas. Trails were mostly groomed or packed but lots of fresh on the sides that we all played in. Tested the climbing ability on a trail that I wish I had my phone out for - sled got half way up, slowed down a ton, started to dig and then slowly moved up and started to crest the hill. Very impressed. View attachment 208107[video]https://www.facebook.com/100003130861375/videos/pcb.2050206518427024/2050203251760684/?type=3&theater[/url]
[video]https://www.facebook.com/100003130861375/videos/pcb.2050206518427024/2050203465093996/?type=3&theater[/url]
[video]https://www.facebook.com/100003130861375/videos/pcb.2050206518427024/2050203765093966/?type=3&theater[/url]
There is pretty firm rumors floating around that polaris will be launching an intermediate kids machine 300-400cc ballpark. Apparently everyone discovered there is a gap in the marketplace. Finally.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be really happy to see any of the oems come out with more product in this space. I am not that brand loyal and for the kids the important things are more around usability issues for them - small and light enough to steer, decent power and traction but not a 100km/hr machine, decent suspension etc. Will be very interesting as we heard that the cat model would be a slightly larger chassis as well as engine. This current chassis would be just fine with 5 more hp but perhaps they are already thinking about the competition one upping them so they are thinking of going bigger in all dimensions.

Good times :)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I will be really happy to see any of the oems come out with more product in this space. I am not that brand loyal and for the kids the important things are more around usability issues for them - small and light enough to steer, decent power and traction but not a 100km/hr machine, decent suspension etc. Will be very interesting as we heard that the cat model would be a slightly larger chassis as well as engine. This current chassis would be just fine with 5 more hp but perhaps they are already thinking about the competition one upping them so they are thinking of going bigger in all dimensions.

Good times :)

I don't think it will be too long before someone in the aftermarket world brings out some power adders for these machines.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think it will be too long before someone in the aftermarket world brings out some power adders for these machines.

I have seen a couple of things - adj jets and a pipe but so far that is it. From what I have seen this motor was originally producing 6hp and is now up to 9hp after the addition of a bigger carb and stiffer valve springs. The machine is already pretty light so i think any gains will have to come from power mods. 5hp more would be awesome

Top Bottom