Yamaha Kodiak 700 or Grizzly 700?

Ricki Bobby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son is in the market for a new quad and is leaning towards the Griz. What's the difference between the two? If he buys used, are there certain years that he should stay away from?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kodiak only comes in a 450 or 400 doesn't it? Grizzly is 550 or 700. Unless they have changed for this year.

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
I believe the Grizzly comes with a winch, power steering, and aluminum rims standard. On the Kodak those are add ons.

79TXL

Reaction score
I have a Kodiak and Grizzly. Kodiak is a nice quad, but doesn't have a nice of ride as a grizzly. Grizzly has higher bars and is a little more comfy for long rides.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. Why would they do that? I just went on their site and compared the two models side by side. The grizzy has 26" tires vs 25. Has 1/2" more suspension travel in the front. All for $1500 more. Doesn't mention anything about anymore extras. This is for the 700 EPS SE.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That Kodiak 700 has cable pull rear brakes instead of hydraulic line brake.....deal breaker for me right there.The cable will freeze in winter and burn up the rear differential.

Ricki Bobby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That Kodiak 700 has cable pull rear brakes instead of hydraulic line brake.....deal breaker for me right there.The cable will freeze in winter and burn up the rear differential.

Good eye. Are they geared the same? Same motor I'm assuming?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If this is the case I would agree. Hydraulic all the way.

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
700 kodiac has little different clutching than grizz , and different plastics .and some models dont come with diff lock

either or there both decent machines , my dad has a 450 with power steering.good little bike .

I wouldemt worry about brake cables . There reliable enough . Besides. Only reason they have them (on700 Kodak) is for the wet brake which is better than the disks .

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Kodiak inherited the Grizzly chassis a year or two ago. The new Grizzly is 2" wider and and has more suspension travel. I could have sworen it was three inches longer too but I can't seem to find that spec anywhere. The Kodiak is marketed more as a work horse and the Grizz towards recreation.

HOTLAP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd compare ground clearance and front diff lock, those would be my deal breakers on my next quad.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grizzly is a nice machine! Would not hesitate to buy one at all. I know a few guys that have or had them and they all really like them. There only complaint is heating issues. But those quads are a few years old now they more then likely have that fixed by now. Never been around a kodiak to compare. Does the kodiak have a solid rear axle? I know the older smaller ones did. If it does that would be a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grizzly is a nice machine! Would not hesitate to buy one at all. I know a few guys that have or had them and they all really like them. There only complaint is heating issues. But those quads are a few years old now they more then likely have that fixed by now. Never been around a kodiak to compare. Does the kodiak have a solid rear axle? I know the older smaller ones did. If it does that would be a deal breaker.

Most of the big bore machines have overheating issues at some point in time. It doesn't take for the rad long to get plugged up and few people are diligent enough to wash them properly. Rad relocate fixes that - never overheat again!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the big bore machines have overheating issues at some point in time. It doesn't take for the rad long to get plugged up and few people are diligent enough to wash them properly. Rad relocate fixes that - never overheat again!

Yah most heating issues are the operator but the guys I knew had the first and second years of the grizzly. They would boil the gas in the tank they would get so hot. And we would wash them on the trail. But like I said that was 10 years ago now so I would think its fix if not better.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah most heating issues are the operator but the guys I knew had the first and second years of the grizzly. They would boil the gas in the tank they would get so hot. And we would wash them on the trail. But like I said that was 10 years ago now so I would think its fix if not better.

Ah yes, I believe the boiling gas issue was fixed back in 08.

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Grzz700 SE and had 0 problems with it I have about 3000 kms on it now other than brake pads haven't had to replace a thing. The 16 & 17s have a different motor it is still a 700 but is a twin cam the older models are single cam so a few more ponies I think this is the motor from the Rhino. I think if you get the top of the line Kodiac SE model it does have a diff lock but not sure what the price difference is. Also the Kodiac is a bit smaller.

79TXL

Reaction score
We have never had an overheating problem with ours. We are usually one of the few that make it back without cleaning ours rads out.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had to replace a stator on a 12 700 grizzly and replacing a water pump on a 13 right now.
791627db93ac019b12f98ab8dcfca3e3.jpg

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom