xp primary help

schiermnultra

Reaction score
just had the primary clutch rebuilt on my brothers 2008 xp and its sticking like crazy. was doing that when picked it up from the shop and they said might just have to ride it a bit. so now that we have rode it a bit and its still sticking im pissed. any idea on what causes this or what to look for when i rebuild the clutch again myself? any help would be great!

cheers,

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what do you mean by "sticking"? staying closed and trying to squeeze the belt when it returns to idle?

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how high is ur belt sitting in the secondary? u dont wanna see the threads in the belt..

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, bushing or they never put the small spacer in the cup for the spring to seat, giving the spring a bit more tension. Hard to tell without seeing it but a screw up none the less. I'm going with a screwed up bushing.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, bushing or they never put the small spacer in the cup for the spring to seat, giving the spring a bit more tension. Hard to tell without seeing it but a screw up none the less. I'm going with a screwed up bushing.
I've had it happen, brand new bushing walked out a bit and had the same symptoms. pulled it apart again and pushed it back in and it stayed. dunno why it moved after installing

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You mean the big bushing? That has a retainer ring..

I've had it happen, brand new bushing walked out a bit and had the same symptoms. pulled it apart again and pushed it back in and it stayed. dunno why it moved after installing

schiermnultra

Reaction score
thanks peeps for all the ideas and help, sounds like im gonna tear in to it myself this time. never had one apart before so will probably get a buddy to help for the first time.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's good to take it part yourself and see how it all works. Then you can do your own maintenance too. It's best to buy the 3 doo button holders if you are gonna put it back together yourself. It's pretty straight forward, and just remember to "align the arrows and notches" upon re-assembly.

thanks peeps for all the ideas and help, sounds like im gonna tear in to it myself this time. never had one apart before so will probably get a buddy to help for the first time.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
It's good to take it part yourself and see how it all works. Then you can do your own maintenance too. It's best to buy the 3 doo button holders if you are gonna put it back together yourself. It's pretty straight forward, and just remember to "align the arrows and notches" upon re-assembly.

Yup, the TRA is very simple actually. Its easy to maintain with simple tools. You only need to remove the sliding half too, although the newer taper style are harder to separate vs the splined ones.....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, before it gets all crazy, how much is it actually still engaged after you let off the throttle?

Does it just simply creep along? If so, as mentioned the belt deflection likely just needs to be adjusted.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is like riding a bike; once you have torn into one a couple of times you will never forget how to do it.

Billy Boy

Top Bottom