Wrong clutch weights from factory! 2010 Dragon 800.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go buy the 3 weights put them on yourself it takes about a half an hour keep the other ones for when your riding at home we used to change them on the trail years ago

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LMAO, I have owned numerous sleds over the past 30 years my friend, all of them mountain sleds purchased from the same dealer. Never had an issue with any of them. Now, I don't think the elevation here has changed from the normal 2200' that it was 30 years ago, (when I bought my first one) to 6000' and above in that time. I don't know about where you live, but here, most of our riding is well below 4000' the majority of the time with an average 6 foot snow depth. Our dealer has always delivered sleds set up for our area. Except this time.

Your little "You bought a MOUNTAIN sled" babble is ridiculous!

Hmmm, taken many a sled high and low and never had to buy other weights to enjoy either.

You are lucky to have a dealer that knows you will be riding a mountain sled at home. However, most dealers assume you will be riding a mountain sled in the mountains? (Weird, I know...). If you're expecting to get a clutching setup for each different elevations.... You're going to be greatly disappointed. Pay the $60.00 +/- and enjoy.

As for the second post, I'm not a clutching expert, but I do know that my sled should be operating in a specific RPM range. Changing weights and clutch springs is just part of the tuning.

Happy TRAILS :d

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my rmk came with 62s. revs were a bit high put 64s on. revs better but shop manual says 66s so bought some 66s and BAM belt blows put on a new belt and revs are really low like 7600.....that belt was the factory belt with 2600miles on it. so i put the 64s back in haha.

i also use to drive 2003 edge 600 got from teh dealer drove for a couple years and it went good but it wouldnt pull 8000 rpms in deep snow more like 7600 so i change the drive spring to a 700 almond spring and takes off alot better still no change in snow top rpm......i get looking at what the 2007 carb 600s has for weights and it says 60s and so i look around and the 600 edge needed 58s......i look at the stock ones and they are 62s!! so i picked up some 60s see how that goes. if not better i need to trade some 60s 62s and 66s to the dealer for something else or kijiji them

stasim

Reaction score
I was just told by a dealer to run 66's down here, he said the engine was never laboured running the stock 62's, also the milage will jump. If I start blowing belts off I wil be pissed, but live and learn. As for the delema of the dealer not selling the sled set for flat landing, you spent $12,000 on a sled, spend the $90 and buy some weights and change them, someone said most ppl go to the hills 1,2,3 times a year, so change the stupid things when you go!! Wow, I can't believe you spent more time typing on your computer than it would have taken to change them!!

rooster 54

Reaction score
Hi!

Here in Québec, we always have the high altitude clutching, over 3000 feet.

I think it is a good ways to make a little more money.It is sure that you have to pay for it, nothing is free!

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
LMAO you know what, I really appreciate those of you that have provided the positive feed back on my questions here. Nice to see there are still some decent people around that can carry on a civil discussion. :beer:

The rest of you crackheads can piss off if you like, hell, piss off even if you don't like!

I have a 2010 dragon 163" and no mid range slobber or anything. There was an update reflash for them in October. I ride the Mountains mostly but at home too. Home is 3000ft. I have factory mountain cluthing 6000-8000ft. Better ask some questions, as i think that's what the update was for.:beer:

t-bomb

Reaction score
Have a 2010 Assault and had the same issue when I was on the trail coming down from silent pass in Golden. Took the sled in to get the track changed last Feb 2010 and Mountain toys put the latest flash in and I also plug my fuel wire in (run shell 91 gold). No bog anymore. Not sure whaT i GOT FOR WEIGHTS?

fastdude

Reaction score
If your going to sled you need to tune for conditions.
you'd be pissed if it came with 66s and you went to the hills and it would only rev7500!

tasco

Reaction score
What I am gathering here is that I also may have a clutching issue with my 2008 800 dragon. On the trail approx 4500 ft asl. It powers till 42 mph then flattens out. I can push it to about 55 mph. My old 99 700 rmk powers right to 80 or till I get scared. I have not tried it on higher elevations yet since I just got the sled.

zonker892

Reaction score
Hey Riverjet I think I know what the problem with your sled is. . . . . . Its a Polaris!!! lol Only kidding, sorta.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was 15 min I'll never get back

Yeah, me too.

What is "mountain clutching".

A rider from say Afton will unload higher than we see in the alpine in BC. A rider in Ak will often stage at sea level. A good dealer will set it up for where you ride.

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
Yeah, me too.

What is "mountain clutching".

A rider from say Afton will unload higher than we see in the alpine in BC. A rider in Ak will often stage at sea level. A good dealer will set it up for where you ride.

What do you think mountain clutching is? The 2010 dragon 800 comes clutched from the factory for 6000-8000ft. Your right a good dealer would set it up for you, however he doesn't have ESP. You may actually have to tell him that you plan on riding at lower elevation. That being said, a midrange burbble/slobber/stumble/bog whatever doesn't sound like clutching. If anything the machine should be bouncing off the rev limiter.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do I think mountain clutching is? I have no idea. In my case it involves an old Hyperlite and a Cutler Red/White. Forgive my ignorance since I buy my sleds a little more seasoned. However if I was dumping 13K+ on a sled I would hope the dealer would ask me where I'm riding. I also would suspect mapping, not like Pol has this figured out perfect yet.

DV8ED Digger

Reaction score
So I am having this mid range slobber/burbble/deadspot in the throttle thingy going on. At half throttle while cruising along the trail I put her to the bars and thats what I get, (slobber/burbble/deadspot). I back out of it and press her to the bars again and it works fine. It does it every other time.

The dealer says the Dragons came with 62 gram weights which are for 6000' and above. They say I need to install 64 gram weights and if this doesn't fix the issue then they will do a TPI adjustment. Sleds normally come set up for the area they are sold in. I don't know of anywhere that sleds would come from the factory set up for operation at 6000' or above.

I hope they don't think I will be paying for those weights:nono:

Anyone else have this issue?

I notice that with the new Pro RMK platform there is alot of talk about going from the two injector per cylinder on the Dragon to one injector on the Pro's. The reason for this was the transition at mid-range on the Dragon's was flat (read: slobber/burble/deadspot).

Someone made a good point that if you are weighted for the mountains and ride at a lower elevation you would likely be in an over-rev situation and not the dreaded 'burble zone'.

Is that correct or am I way off base here?

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I am having this mid range slobber/burbble/deadspot in the throttle thingy going on. At half throttle while cruising along the trail I put her to the bars and thats what I get, (slobber/burbble/deadspot). I back out of it and press her to the bars again and it works fine. It does it every other time.

The dealer says the Dragons came with 62 gram weights which are for 6000' and above. They say I need to install 64 gram weights and if this doesn't fix the issue then they will do a TPI adjustment. Sleds normally come set up for the area they are sold in. I don't know of anywhere that sleds would come from the factory set up for operation at 6000' or above.

I hope they don't think I will be paying for those weights:nono:

Anyone else have this issue?

Riverjet, can't help you with your dealer issue on your Poo, but our M-cats didn't come from the factory with high altitude clutching....our dealer set them up for 6000' + (where we ride is usually 5500' up to around 7500') A good dealer will help you set it up for where you ride....and you DON'T have to ride in the mountains to own a mountain sled!! We rip it up to the hills on weekends and the odd weekend we want to do low-key lake type riding our sleds are set up to do that. Never had a problem yet. I hope you get your dilemma figured out, sorry you couldn't get the answers you needed on here. :(:(

Top Bottom