Wrangler's Cabin

DragonDiva

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was at the Wrangler's today. There was a "large" fire that created a huge crater beside the washroom. Everyone be careful not to fall in.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those fires are normally caused by burnt down sleds.

Thanks for the heads up! Even walking requires caution. I've seen people trip into them, and although it can be funny, some serious injury can be caused.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How in the world would that have started?? Cabin is ok?

A sled? I donno, but it's quite common.

Loose manifold leaking oil over time, oil overflow valve dysfunction, loose oil cap, flammable material left under engine, parking break engaged while riding (this is pretty common), stuck parking break (unknown to rider), etc.

There are quite a few ways. It always amazes me though that:
1) People don't notice the parking brake on. I've very sensitive to mechanical things so I can't see it happening to me, but then again maybe you don't know till it happens kind of thing?

2) There is enough oil on the engine to start a fire. Do people not poke around on their engines? I normally check mine out, even while riding. Normally once or twice in a day I check it out and look around. I guess in theory this has prevented a possible burn down on a buddies sled after he noticed oil on his engine. Turned out the spark plug was loose and it was blowing semi-burnt oil out.

Another thing might be people leaving goggles and gloves under the hood while in the cabin. I've seen lots of people rest them on pipes or places where they could fall into hot areas. CAT users seem to do this a lot.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Was at the Wrangler's today. There was a "large" fire that created a huge crater beside the washroom. Everyone be careful not to fall in.

Sure hope you bought a trail pass instead of "sneaking" in the back way!!

It is interesting to read the possibilities....it was a "large" fire and quite a bit larger than the one on Sunday. It's called socialization....Sunday was the club's January Family Day and Friday was our club's annual moonlight ride. Both events had outdoor fires. The Sunday fire hole was filled by the SnowCat on Friday night and the Friday night hole will be filled by the SnowCat on Monday night. DragonDiva is correct, a little caution should be used in the meantime.

DragonDiva

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fire was still smoldering this afternoon at 2:00. The hole is huge with large pieces of trees partially burnt. It doesn't look like it had been filled in.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Sure hope you bought a trail pass instead of "sneaking" in the back way!!

Fernie...

Please enlighten me...I am brand new to the sport (first season) and we have staged out of the 'yellow gates' and have ridden up top the cabin then onto the pipeline. I have never seen a box or of course a booth, so where do you pay for or get your trail pass. Would be MORE than happy to contribute, but I honestly do not know how/where to do this.

Thanks

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Ghost Rider Motorsports is generally the easiest place to pick up trail passes for the Fernie area. Here is link to their website. FERNIESNOWMOBILE.COM
If your riding from the yellow gates on the side of the road that heads to Corbin, there is no active grooiming for that area till you hit the Fernie Club Trails.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Ghost Rider Motorsports is generally the easiest place to pick up trail passes for the Fernie area. Here is link to their website. FERNIESNOWMOBILE.COM
If your riding from the yellow gates on the side of the road that heads to Corbin, there is no active grooiming for that area till you hit the Fernie Club Trails.

Well said! The Club realizes that there is no way to collect monies from riders accessing the cabin from the Corbin side. We also realize that if we were to put up a collection box it would just get vandalized as does the cabin, the bar-b-que, and the outhouse. One day we may get the time to run the groomer up to Martin Creek (from the Coal Creek side) but that still doesn't help the pipeline travellers.

We are in the planning process for a new cabin and then we can make some changes.

The other way to contribute is to become a member (online at FERNIESNOWMOBILE.COM or at Ghostrider Motorsports ) and that is only $75.

Yes, polarice, it will be Monday night for the filling in of the hole.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Thanks you guys, here is a stupid question though. Looked at the membership application, will buy 1 reg, and 2 children, but for the wife, do I get a seconday? Just not sure who the seconday membership applies to...

Thanks!

Also, I see there are many palces to pick up a map but is there any place to see one online? Would sure be nice for planning purposes.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks you guys, here is a stupid question though. Looked at the membership application, will buy 1 reg, and 2 children, but for the wife, do I get a seconday? Just not sure who the seconday membership applies to...

Thanks!

Also, I see there are many palces to pick up a map but is there any place to see one online? Would sure be nice for planning purposes.

Yes, the secondary is your wife. If you have 4 machines (yourself, your wife, and two children on 2 machines) that's $150. $40 bucks a day for trail passes soon eats that up besides being able to feed everyone on the Family Day rides (Jan, Feb, and the Island Lake Lodge ride in April). As I look after the maps, PM me and I'll send you one (I'll even take the $10 out of my pocket for a nice guy like you!). Cheers, fs

tasco

Reaction score
I would like to say thank you Fernie Snow for the smooth groomed trails. I have been on them every saturday for the last 4 weeks. and will be for at least 2 more. At least till my daughter is finished her ski club at the ski hill, and then as many times as my better half will let me play. I do know that Fernie is definatly the place to stage now. From having staged at Corbin earlier in the season. The 10 bucks is definatly worth it. My body feels alot better at the end of the day, and I can cover a lot more ground on smooth trails. I don't have a membership yet. but this way you can make more money from me, and I'll happily pay every time :d

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I would like to say thank you Fernie Snow for the smooth groomed trails. I have been on them every saturday for the last 4 weeks. and will be for at least 2 more. At least till my daughter is finished her ski club at the ski hill, and then as many times as my better half will let me play. I do know that Fernie is definatly the place to stage now. From having staged at Corbin earlier in the season. The 10 bucks is definatly worth it. My body feels alot better at the end of the day, and I can cover a lot more ground on smooth trails. I don't have a membership yet. but this way you can make more money from me, and I'll happily pay every time :d

Thanks. Buying the groomer was the first step! Then the mogul master! Next is a new cabin. Then we'll all be happy campers!!

tasco

Reaction score
Cabin is fine, great place to warm up, BS with fellow sledders, and eat lunch. I would guess it has a lot of years left. Someone took a lot of effort to teach those birds to steal lunches

Top Bottom