Would You Fix It?

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 Duramax with 301,000 kms on it. Bought it from my dad. Up until now it’s been rusty but trusty. Not my daily driver. I commute with a little car. I mostly just use the truck to haul horses and sleds so maybe 5000 kms/year. Unfortunately it has started to smoke, only at idle while warm. Took it in and not surprisingly, it needs injectors. $6000 touch. Question is, would you sink $6000 into an old an old rusty truck? Seems crazy to do so but holy sh$t! Todays used truck market is insane and with the soaring cost of living, moneys pretty tight. Kinda feel like I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. What’s your guys’ thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you making oil in the crankcase? That's often an issue with the LB7 Duramax when the injectors go, diesel gets into the oil diluting it. If its been going on for a while it could have caused lack of lubrication damage in the engine.

I had an LB7 that I did the injectors on about 10 years ago, being 19 and broke forced me to do it myself. It's really not that bad of a job, its time consuming (took me a full weekend), but it's not particularly difficult if you have a basic set of tools. I think it cost me about $3k in parts. For that price if the rest of the truck is in good mechanical shape I'd replace them myself.

I'm pretty sure this is the guide I followed to replace the injectors:

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you making oil in the crankcase? That's often an issue with the LB7 Duramax when the injectors go, diesel gets into the oil diluting it. If its been going on for a while it could have caused lack of lubrication damage in the engine.

I had an LB7 that I did the injectors on about 10 years ago, being 19 and broke forced me to do it myself. It's really not that bad of a job, its time consuming (took me a full weekend), but it's not particularly difficult if you have a basic set of tools. I think it cost me about $3k in parts. For that price if the rest of the truck is in good mechanical shape I'd replace them myself.

I'm pretty sure this is the guide I followed to replace the injectors:

It doesn’t seem to be making oil but if it was/is, I’d be screwed because to be honest I’ve been driving it that way for awhile now.

I’ve considered doing it myself. I consider myself a half assed decent backyard mechanic. And I also have a buddy who is an actual mechanic that has offered to help. Thing is the quote I got from my local mechanic shop that I trust very much only included $1300 labour. That’s a lot I know but when the total would be $4700 anyway, I’m not sure a weekend of cussing and swearing would be worth the savings. Frick. I don’t know.

Appreciate the input.

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If thats all it needs for now id do it. If if needs a bunch of other stuff too I might say fk it

Seems to be all it needs yes. I’ve recently replaced the transfer case. Tranny seems strong. Lots of oil pressure. But who the hell knows right?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems to be all it needs yes. I’ve recently replaced the transfer case. Tranny seems strong. Lots of oil pressure. But who the hell knows right?

Chit happens, but if the brakes are good, the suspension is good, the body isnt too rusted out. Hopefully something else major doesn't pile up on you.

Can do a lot of fixing for the price of a new truck.

You could probably have 800hp, fox suspension and wilwood brakes for less matter of fact 🤣

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t seem to be making oil but if it was/is, I’d be screwed because to be honest I’ve been driving it that way for awhile now.

I’ve considered doing it myself. I consider myself a half assed decent backyard mechanic. And I also have a buddy who is an actual mechanic that has offered to help. Thing is the quote I got from my local mechanic shop that I trust very much only included $1300 labour. That’s a lot I know but when the total would be $4700 anyway, I’m not sure a weekend of cussing and swearing would be worth the savings. Frick. I don’t know.

Appreciate the input.

Your local mechanic is making a bunch on parts too. Basically he is going to pocket your $1500 core charge when he sends back your old injectors. Not that I have an issue with someone making a profit, but this is a way to save almost $3k.

Here is a full set of Bosch remans from BC Diesel, including new high pressure fuel lines and the seal kits. Only thing it doesn't include is the O-rings in case you pull an injector cup with the injector, or the permatex sealant. $3239.33 after core return, plus shipping and tax of course.

Screenshot (222).png

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your local mechanic is making a bunch on parts too. Basically he is going to pocket your $1500 core charge when he sends back your old injectors. Not that I have an issue with someone making a profit, but this is a way to save almost $3k.

Here is a full set of Bosch remans from BC Diesel, including new high pressure fuel lines and the seal kits. Only thing it doesn't include is the O-rings in case you pull an injector cup with the injector, or the permatex sealant. $3239.33 after core return, plus shipping and tax of course.

View attachment 256545

Interesting. Thanks for the info! Could be a game changer. This is the text my local shop sent me when I inquired just as a breakdown for what I’m up against with him.

We use Bosch injectors $400 ea. havnt had luck with other brands. Labour $1300. The injector lines should be replaced in that year also we have got caught on them before where they are deteriorating and causes the new injectors to fail Lines are close to $1000 so not pretty $6000 total

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can afford the down time why not remove injectors and see what is serviceable or rebuild able? Just thinking there is only another 100k left in the truck.

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can afford the down time why not remove injectors and see what is serviceable or rebuild able? Just thinking there is only another 100k left in the truck.

I’ve thought of that but unfortunately I can’t afford much downtime. The shop that tested the injectors did say that 2 were toast and 3 were weak. Can’t go in there and replace only 5 though can a guy?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the info! Could be a game changer. This is the text my local shop sent me when I inquired just as a breakdown for what I’m up against with him.

We use Bosch injectors $400 ea. havnt had luck with other brands. Labour $1300. The injector lines should be replaced in that year also we have got caught on them before where they are deteriorating and causes the new injectors to fail Lines are close to $1000 so not pretty $6000 total

They seem to know what they are talking about. Bosch remans are the best choice for those engines since they are Bosch injectors from the factory. The fuel lines also should be done, they build a bunch of corrosion around the nuts and it's way too easy to get that rust into the fuel line when reassembling.

You could also try your local GM dealer, they were the cheapest place for the Bosch injectors when I did mine.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I get the minimal down time thing.. just another option. If you can figure it out I have had a few rebuilt for a lot cheaper than new. I have also had luck doing a concentrated flush with injector cleaner leave soak overnight, etc. I realize you can't flush wore out but I think too many people are quick to assume that its wore out when it may be just sticking. My 2c.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dump a cup of howes in half a tank of fuel and run her hard for a hour
stuff is amazing

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much is the truck worth in working order? $$10000 to $12000? I’d search the used market, see what’s out there before deciding on fixing. Could use it as a spare parts truck.

But in the grand scheme 301,000 km’s is not a whole lot especially if you don’t care if it’s rusty.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These days it’s worth fixing. Or Replace with what ???
I’m spending $8k on a crate engine installed for a 2009 Ford F-150. The truck is great. The motor is knocking. I will be 15 grand total in to a older truck with a New engine. Or I can try my luck with another truck that needs money spent on it also :)
I spent a few months deciding what to do

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Have you tried any stanadyne in it. My 6.7 ford starred idling rough and smoking a bit. Threw a code for cylinder 2 injector. Poured a bunch of stanadyne in and took it for a drive. Cleaned up and I cleared the code. Run it in every tank now and been good for about 15000km now

Top Bottom