Will 2023 Be the Year of the Electric Car?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

Will 2023 Be the Year of the Electric Car?​

23 September 2022
Shirley Brown
Autosphere » Dealerships » Will 2023 Be the Year of the Electric Car?
WP_ioniq_5_tech_fb.jpg

Hyundai Ioniq 5. Photo Hyundai Canada

Manufacturers and buyers have spoken—with sales of electric vehicles growing by 60% in 2021 and another 11% in the first half of 2022, there’s no denying that electric vehicles are the way of the future.
And while wait times can be as long as three years for a new EV, Kijiji Autos has seen a huge increase in listings for electric vehicles over the past year.

Recent findings of note:

• Top sellers in the EV category include the Volkswagen ID.4, Chevrolet Bolt, Hyundai Kona Electric and the funky Hyundai Ioniq 5
  • Searches for EVs on Kijiji Autos more than doubled between the second quarter of 2021 and the second quarter of 2022, while the number of leads for electric vehicles nearly tripled.
  • Over the next 12 months, we will likely see EV sales rise once more and this is likely to continue as, after 2035, sales of internal combustion cars will end altogether.

Advice from Kijiji experts

For those looking to help the environment and their wallets with the purchase of an EV, the experts at Kijiji Autos have some advice.

To make the biggest environmental impact with your EV purchase, consider the following:
  • Vehicle mass – the lighter the car, the less energy it needs to move around, so if you really want to maximize sustainability, consider a compact electric car, which generates less aerodynamic drag
  • Usage conditions – driving in cities and stop-start traffic zaps efficiency since the hardest your car has to work is getting itself up to speed from a standstill. Time your drives to avoid heavy traffic – you’ll go much further on a charge.
  • Clean Energy Canada estimates the cost of owning an EV is significantly less than owning a gas-powered equivalent. Make sure you take advantage of the federal and provincial governments’ range of financial incentives.
Whether you’re in it for sustainability or simply for rebates, electric vehicles will become more and more ubiquitous in the coming years. With a huge increase in listings over the past year and the ability to compare makes and models from anywhere, for those looking to get into an EV vehicle, purchasing one second-hand on Kijiji Autos is likely the fastest and easiest way to do it.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be the year of rolling blackouts.. it's cool tech for sure, has its place in the cities, shorter commutes but it ain't the be all end all they want it to be.

They ain't replacing a 1 ton diesel pickup with electric this decade.

Saw an add for a full electric skid steer the other day, 4 hours of run time for 8 hours of charging... 4 hour work days ain't so bad I guess.

Last edited:

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"And while wait times can be as long as three years for a new EV, Kijiji Autos has seen a huge increase in listings for electric vehicles over the past year."

^^^This statement makes me wonder why people are selling these vehicles if they're so great. I suspect people who bought them found out they aren't very practical.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just look at the rush for Tesla charging in save on parking lot Revelstoke
E75D9672-6360-47B1-BC78-97479D393878.jpeg
for Tesla only parking and charging

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Jasper. Used up a whole parking lot. The restaurants now have outdoor seating in front on main road like white ave taking away parking spots. Gonna have to park on the hiway. Or drive past like I usually do. Too expensive in town anyway. But thats what the elite libtards wanted.
83500e939b0a581e0ab45b6bb572264f.jpg

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah maybe at some point but not soon, for now my battery powered Milwaukee collection and e mountain bike will have to do.

pommie_git

Reaction score
I ordered a Tesla.
Now that I won’t use my truck to commute gonna swap the half-ton for a real sled hauler!

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you start to look for them there are a lot of electric cars on the road. 4 years ago there were none on our street and now there is 11 that are on the circle I live on and I only go around half of it. Funny how they just sneak up on us. I went to California 10 years ago and saw lots including a full size school bus. There here to stay just like artic cat they don’t go away…and a ex wife. They are all the same… everything was good once

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our school board just bought an electric bus for 400k + and it has a diesel heater 🙄And issues charging - not the best investment other than for wokeness and pleasing the climate change environmental nutbar teachers that constant preach their ideology in the classroom

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our school board just bought an electric bus for 400k + and it has a diesel heater 🙄And issues charging - not the best investment other than for wokeness and pleasing the climate change environmental nutbar teachers that constant preach their ideology in the classroom
What kind of issues does it have with charging?

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of issues does it have with charging?
A driver stated that maintenance staff were having grief getting a full charge- could be a warranty issue I assume. Also no storage underneath because the area is taken up with battery. Another learning curve is the bus is front wheel drive. Range is 200 km . The 200k extra cost is expected to be countered by less maintenance - time will tell.

pommie_git

Reaction score
Cities have been trialing electric buses with limited success for years: https://energynews.us/2021/08/31/reliability-problems-stall-duluths-transition-to-electric-buses/

Calgary was about to start a trial of a few electrics but Turdeau just offered them $200M in grants and $168M in 1% interest loan to skip the trials and jump right to fully electrifying the fleet.

That’s gonna be a ch!t show

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was gonna post that video in the "EV are harder on tires" thread.
there is another video of them chatting about the production of making the gymkhana with the Audi. They went through something like 60 sets of tires in previous gymkhana videos with the hoonicorn, this Audi destroyed over 100.....

Top Bottom